Eating Out Sucks

13»

Replies

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Steak or prime rib is the best choice at the Keg. Ignore the table bread and take half your meal home.

Steak is usually my advice as well for those higher calorie restaurants, especially if there is a choice in cuts. If you keep to a reasonable portion size and box the rest, steak isn't bad for calories. Steak isn't drowned in added fat to make it palatable, so unless its a particularly high fat cut, the high calorie count on the menu comes from them serving a massive-sized steak (3+ portions).

Get a box at the start, box up 1/2 or 2/3 or 3/4, and divvy up into containers later on.
  • ritzvin
    Panini911 wrote: »
    the pistachio salmon is over 1000 calories?
    https://www.kegsteakhouse.com/#!/menu-detail/?id=16253&parent=5/#siteContent

yes it came down to the small steak with veggies or the fish. i opted for the fish. some of the options on the online menu were not on the menu in teh restaurant.

"garlic mashed potato, bacon sautéed Brussels sprouts, maple butter"
    wow...you can even see the pool of butter under it on the plate. and the Brussel sprouts look too greasy to even taste very good. They definitely went a little nuts with the added fat on that one.

The sirloin steaks, on the other hand, are <200 calories per 4oz. Having salad dressing on the side on the side salad, avoiding the higher cal sides, and splitting in half along with the steak won't come to a bad total if you can keep from diving into the table bread or getting higher calorie drinks.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    This has happened to me on occasion. I just reduce my calories over the next few days by 100 or so. That keeps my average daily calories at a deficit.

I particularly like eating out because I also come home with next days lunch, as portion sizes are huge now days.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Steak or prime rib is the best choice at the Keg. Ignore the table bread and take half your meal home.

Steak is usually my advice as well for those higher calorie restaurants, especially if there is a choice in cuts. If you keep to a reasonable portion size and box the rest, steak isn't bad for calories. Steak isn't drowned in added fat to make it palatable, so unless its a particularly high fat cut, the high calorie count on the menu comes from them serving a massive-sized steak (3+ portions).

Get a box at the start, box up 1/2 or 2/3 or 3/4, and divvy up into containers later on.

Yep, get a sirloin, smallest cut a place has. For me, 8oz is enough and will be under 500 calories. If the steak is larger than 8oz, I'll cut off a portion and have it in my omelette the next day.

Broccoli or other steamed vegetable. Salad, no croutons, dressing on the side. Dip fork in dressing before spearing food. No breads, etc. One beer. The above is usually under 800 calories, or about 30% of what I'm allowed on a day that includes exercise.

Of course, this is coming from the guy who blew 1080 calories on 12 boneless buffalo "wings" at Sonic last night.

I should have just gone to Hooters or some other similar place and got hot naked wings for fewer calories and better flavor.

But I had 1500 calories left in the budget after the Les Mills Sprint HIIT workout earlier in the day, so I was good.

For me, the biggest gains are in trading starchy sides such as fries or a baked potato for vegetables.

You can even get apple slices at McDonalds instead of fries.
  • ritzvin
    I don't even have a clue how many calories I had for dinner tonight. It was the annual fundraiser for IIB...Room full of food stands with sample sizes of amazing food from local restaurants. EVERYTHING was totally worth the calories (and the stuffed feeling). Also 3 glasses of wine throughout the evening. I think I only skipped the coffee and beer stands.
  • ritzvin
    It's the table bread & wine that generally puts me over the edge. And maybe dessert, but nowadays it has to be worth it (if I'm not drooling while reading the dessert list, I'm not ordering anything).

And if it's pub food, fried starchy calorie-ness will be the accompaniment to a very, very fatty high calorie entree. I had to learn to say no to that particular ubiquitous post-group-cardio affair.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    There is no rule stating that anyone has to actually eat the whole meal ordered. My trick with a 2000 calorie meal: order the meal and ask for a to-go box, when the meal arrives, I cut it in half and put half the meal in the box for the next day.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    What a great discussion and good ideas!
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    I totally feel your pain! Relatively recently (maybe two months ago) I had a meeting with two other people and they asked if a pizza place was ok. I knew the one woman was bringing her kid so I figured that would be the easiest and I didn't want to be a hassle. I looked up the menu online and, as I expected, the only low calorie option was a side salad. It seems like pizza places always have the most boring side salad. Iceberg lettuce, raw onion (bleah), black olives (double bleah), and a slice of under ripe hot house tomato.

I live in a city where if you order a salad that isn't a side salad, it will have fries, a pound of shredded cheese (this may be an exaggeration, but not by much haha), and probably steak on it. I could have asked for modifications but, again, I didn't want to be a hassle and I was tired of trying to mentally work it what was the best bang for my calorie buck. I ended up ordering a half veg sub with Italian dressing. It was still in the 500-600 ball park for calories, which wouldn't be bad, but it wasn't filling and I'm left staring at the pizza that everyone else is eating. I had to remind myself that it wouldn't be worth it unless it was Fiori's.

I ended up going to the gym afterwards and then eating at maintenance because I was pissy. I understand the pain.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Someone else cooking for me, no dishes, tastes amazing usually, around loved ones....etc.....I think eating out is great!💪🏻
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,261 Member
    I hate eating out, even if I find something lower cal, or order veggies, I think it's still full of salt because it takes me a whole day to recover & feel "normal"