TEAM: Gutbusters (November)

Replies

• craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    November 14
    Exercise: Yes, another snowy hike on a sunny day.
    Calories: Yes
    Tracked: Yes

Back on track after a totally messed up day yesterday. Finally have word on my husband's heart condition and it's worse than we had hoped. He's facing a very complex open heart surgery to fix several issues. We have to travel several hundred miles to a University hospital to get the treatment he needs as our cardiologist isn't comfortable with anyone here in Montana. Dealing with the logistics is going to be a nightmare. But, I'm looking forward to the day he feels better and can function normally.

@Rocknut53. You are doing really well in a very tough circumstance.

Sounds like your husband is a victim of societies programming to create long lasting health problems. The problem is that this "brainwashing" is hard to de-program. Medicine seems hell bent on treating the symptoms instead of the causes. (In business terms, all tactical solutions, no strategic solutions).

It's not your fault, it's not his fault, but you both suffer the consequences.

I hope the day your husband feels better and can function normally is sooner rather than later.
  • Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    November 15
    Exercised. Yes
    Calories. Yes
    Tracked. Yes
  • LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    November 14
    Exercise: Yes, another snowy hike on a sunny day.
    Calories: Yes
    Tracked: Yes

Back on track after a totally messed up day yesterday. Finally have word on my husband's heart condition and it's worse than we had hoped. He's facing a very complex open heart surgery to fix several issues. We have to travel several hundred miles to a University hospital to get the treatment he needs as our cardiologist isn't comfortable with anyone here in Montana. Dealing with the logistics is going to be a nightmare. But, I'm looking forward to the day he feels better and can function normally.

@Rocknut53 I'm so glad for you that you have the relief of getting to go outside hiking -- I have to think being outdoors getting the fresh air and moving has to help with the stress. Do you have one dog or two with you when you go? I once had a dog who was like the best friend of my adult life, and being outside with him was always the best stress relief I could get. Maybe it's the same for you?

Sounds like you and your husband are in for a challenging time. You know better now the particular challenges you may be facing, and I wish for you that you have the peace and focus to deal with them with strength.

Thinking of you....
  • LesIckaBod
    It's Thursday, Gutbusters!

Thank you to our Thursday weighers, who both posted a loss for this week!

@Colleen790 - So glad to hear that the group helps you stay accountable! The strength of it is in each of us taking the time to post here and stay committed, so thank you too for being part of that! This wouldn't work without all us playing our roles.
    @grebber1 -- Way to go again! It's a relatively smaller drop for you, but you're still down 2.18% for the month of November so far. Let's see what next week brings!
  • LesIckaBod
    Those of us here in the US know that turkey day is looming -- just 7 days away!

Question of the Week
    What is your strategy for successfully managing a food-intensive event? (Could be Thanksgiving, family party, other holiday)

I personally love Thanksgiving - the sentiment of being thankful, being with my family, cooking food, pretty much all of it except for football (I feel like a heretic for saying that -- I'm mentally whispering it). For the actual day of, I love it more than Christmas, which bothers me for the emphasis on gifts (I'm kind of a scrooge that way).

My strategy is to treasure every bit of the lead-up to the holiday. My son and I have gone shopping together and bought most of the food prep, and I made use of the grocery store sales to donate a bunch of other food that we didn't need. Since I love the holiday, I also love sharing the love of the holiday, so donating the food makes me feel good.

I'm also looking forward to baking some things with my little guys: at least one pie, and either some pumpkin bread or cranberry bread, or both. Again, I like the process of it, so I'm happy to give it away after it's made. I might see if we can make a loaf over the weekend and send it in to my son's school on Monday to share with the other students and the teachers.

Beyond that, I don't care so much about the actual traditional Thanksgiving meal. I've bought a smallish turkey, and I'll send some home with relatives after the meal, and I can continue eating the leftover meat in the week following, or make soup. We'll have sweet potatoes, some vegetables, a pie, maybe a couple of other things, and call it quits.

So my main strategy is to thoroughly enjoy the planning and preparation, and the time with family during the day of and weekend off of work. I'll also focus on staying as narrowly on plan as I can during this next week. Day of, I'll stick to my usual breakfast, exercise, and then aim to enjoy the food without ending up with a belly ache.
  • grebber1
    grebber1 Posts: 216 Member
    I don't really have a strategy except really watching what I eat and getting exercise in leading up to that day. I'm pretty happy that I weigh in the morning before the feast. That was just dumb luck
  • inshapeCK
    inshapeCK Posts: 3,938 Member
    edited November 2018
    Strategies I use to manage food-intensive events are:
    -serve healthy food I like if I am hosting
    -bring healthy food I like if eating elsewhere (e.g., offer to bring a salad or vegetable tray or cooked vegetable)
    -if I am responsible for bringing treats then I bring junkfood/sweets I don't like so I won't eat any and I won't be tempted
    -everything in moderation (e.g., have a piece of dessert but not seconds when others have seconds)
    -eat something healthy before going somewhere so I am not starving upon arrival therefore I avoid pigging out at the gathering
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    @leslckaBod Thank you for your response. In answer to your question, I have 2 dogs now, a black lab and a 9 month old rescue pup of undetermined origin. They are my hiking buddies and a reason to get out. You're right, the hiking is my stress relief. The days I don't hike are much harder to deal with than the days I do. It's almost like I get more clarity of my thoughts. Of course, I think a lot while I'm hiking, but just the fresh air and watching the dogs play with each other in the snow or get on the scent of a grouse or a deer or heaven forbid, a bear, not to mention the cardio benefit make it a necessary part of my routine. My husband and I will get through this. I have a lot of support from family in addition to a strong determination to see this through.
  • LesIckaBod
    grebber1 wrote: »
    I don't really have a strategy except really watching what I eat and getting exercise in leading up to that day. I'm pretty happy that I weigh in the morning before the feast. That was just dumb luck

Yes, I was thinking that your weigh-in day was perfect for this holiday! I'm personally going to have to monitor my leftover consumption prior to my Monday weigh-in!
  • LesIckaBod
    inshapeCK wrote: »
    Strategies I use to manage food-intensive events are:
    -serve healthy food I like if I am hosting
    -bring healthy food I like if eating elsewhere (e.g., offer to bring a salad or vegetable tray or cooked vegetable)
    -if I am responsible for bringing treats then I bring junkfood/sweets I don't like so I won't eat any and I won't be tempted
    -everything in moderation (e.g., have a piece of dessert but not seconds when others have seconds)
    -eat something healthy before going somewhere so I am not starving upon arrival therefore I avoid pigging out at the gathering

Very sound advice! I've sometimes brought a protein smoothie to fill my belly on the way to an event, then have mostly selzter when I get there.
  • LesIckaBod
    @leslckaBod Thank you for your response. In answer to your question, I have 2 dogs now, a black lab and a 9 month old rescue pup of undetermined origin. They are my hiking buddies and a reason to get out. You're right, the hiking is my stress relief. The days I don't hike are much harder to deal with than the days I do. It's almost like I get more clarity of my thoughts. Of course, I think a lot while I'm hiking, but just the fresh air and watching the dogs play with each other in the snow or get on the scent of a grouse or a deer or heaven forbid, a bear, not to mention the cardio benefit make it a necessary part of my routine. My husband and I will get through this. I have a lot of support from family in addition to a strong determination to see this through.

There's so much peace to be gained from getting outside and seeing that the world is bigger than our immediate problems, as big as they sometimes are.

I'm glad you have strong family support and determination, too!
  • edising
    edising Posts: 45 Member
    Ugh Thanksgiving. I love this holiday, but this year we are at someone else's home, which will add a level of uncertainty. I am bringing a salad. My strategy is to have everything I like, one time (no sneaking in seconds). Portion control, which is huge for me. I promised my husband I wouldn't bring my scale (I might sneak it into my purse:-). And, the dessert this year is pecan pie, which is awesome since I have a nut allergy. I am doing a happy dance because I won't be tempted. Hopefully no one will bring chocolate!
  • dommylifts
    dommylifts Posts: 96 Member
    LesIckaBod wrote: »
    dommylifts wrote: »
    November 13th
    Exercised: Yes.
    Calories: Yes.
    Tracked: Yes.

Still very much enjoying this challenge and the positive changes it has brought to my life.

@dommylifts Glad to hear it! And your new profile pic is inspiring -- you look strong and happy!

Thank you! It’s actually a photo of me at the weight I am trying to get back to. I picked it for motivation. Currently I am the photo plus an extra ten pounds of fluff! Lol!
  • dommylifts
    dommylifts Posts: 96 Member
    November 15
    Exercised?: Yes. Morning deadlifts.
    Calories?: Yes. I stayed within my calorie limit.
    Tracked?: Yes. I did have a meal that wasn’t weighed for accuracy so I intentionally overestimated the calories.

I am finding myself starting to snack again at work, especially on all of the popcorn. I need to stop that and be more disciplined.
  • caitlynns727
    caitlynns727 Posts: 80 Member
    November 15
    Exercise: C25K Week 6 Day 1 (about 2 mi of running)
    Tracked: for the most part
    Calories: more than likely
  • Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    November 16
    Exercised. Yes
    Calories. Yes
    Tracked. Yes
  • LesIckaBod
    edited November 2018
    LesIckaBod wrote: »
    November 13th
    Exercised: Yes.
    Calories: Yes.
    Tracked: Yes.

Still very much enjoying this challenge and the positive changes it has brought to my life.

@dommylifts Glad to hear it! And your new profile pic is inspiring -- you look strong and happy!

Thank you! It’s actually a photo of me at the weight I am trying to get back to. I picked it for motivation. Currently I am the photo plus an extra ten pounds of fluff! Lol!

So the picture is inspiring for you as well as us! :smile: Looks like you've got a good goal to get to! How tall are you?
  • LesIckaBod
    Happy Friday, Gutbusters!

Today I'm looking for weights from:

@cjscoey
    @etusk16
    @fe452436
    @Rocknut53
    @TomatoeLady
    @vickiontheriver
    @dalerichardson2011
    @lacatgirl

We've had a couple I may have missed this week, too. Would you mind posting your weights again:
    @bubblemum2
    @jm216
    @bendiz_

I'll be looking for them in this format:
    Username
    Nov. Week 2
    PW:
    CW:
  • LesIckaBod
    More motivation to lose weight....

I've got a birthday coming up soon (sniff, goodbye youth...), and I decided I would finally look into getting life insurance.

So, having lost a bunch of weight, and with this approaching birthday, I started checking life insurance quotes. I was surprised to learn that it saves almost 20% a month if I could lose about 17 more pounds. It's that much savings, even waiting until after my birthday and thus reporting as a year older.

Two thoughts I have about this story:
    • The actuarial data say my weight is a greater risk than my age, even after losing as much as I have
    • Between my weight and my age, there's only one I have control over.

I checked the quotes at my starting weight, too, and that was really eye-opening.
This discussion has been closed.