What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    Processed food is not the devil.

Protein bars are just glorified, overpriced candy bars with no real nutritional value.

Except for, uh, the protein. :)

*siiiiiigh* 🙄 I’m aware of that. I guess I shouldn’t have added my sentence. I meant that they’re touted as “healthy” because of their protein content, but a lot of them contain the same amount of sugar and calories as a regular sized snickers bar. I rather just eat a snickers tbh.

Boyyyyyyyy do I have a thread for you. :) I don't have a handy link (I really should have favorited it) but someone decided to eat one of those humongous snickers bars that come out this time of year and that was it for the day. He ended up eating like 9 normal sized bars as an equivalent and reported on satiety and workout performance.

Best thread ever. :)

But, yeah, I don't eat that many protein bars anymore mostly because of the higher fiber and they can be considered candy barish but I'm also someone who finds some kind of nutritional value in everything. Hell, even potato chips have considerable potassium.

Was it this one? https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10023905/my-one-day-snickers-bar-story/p1
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »

Protein bars are just glorified, overpriced candy bars with no real nutritional value.

*siiiiiigh* 🙄 I’m aware of that. I guess I shouldn’t have added my sentence. I meant that they’re touted as “healthy” because of their protein content, but a lot of them contain the same amount of sugar and calories as a regular sized snickers bar. I rather just eat a snickers tbh.

Boyyyyyyyy do I have a thread for you. :) I don't have a handy link (I really should have favorited it) but someone decided to eat one of those humongous snickers bars that come out this time of year and that was it for the day. He ended up eating like 9 normal sized bars as an equivalent and reported on satiety and workout performance.

But, yeah, I don't eat that many protein bars anymore mostly because of the higher fiber and they can be considered candy barish but I'm also someone who finds some kind of nutritional value in everything. Hell, even potato chips have considerable potassium.

Was it this one? https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10023905/my-one-day-snickers-bar-story/p1

Why, yes. Yes, it was. Thanks for digging up the link. :)
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,719 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »

Why, yes. Yes, it was. Thanks for digging up the link. :)

I just read all 8 pages of that. It did not disappoint! He's a true hero for the people!
  • jaxsmama123
    jaxsmama123 Posts: 165 Member
    the thought of eating a banana makes me want to shrivel up and die
  • allarounddice
    allarounddice Posts: 39 Member
    I don't like mushy green peas by themselves. I like them in stew or chicken pot pie or some sort of dish, but by themselves yuck!
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Spicy food > Non-Spicy food most of the time 😎

As long as it is properly spiced food. Yeah, I know - very subjective, but when you make cayenne chicken, you shouldn't use equal amount of chicken and cayenne pepper...
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    White carbs are not good

I had some turnips with my breakfast, yum!

I always forget about turnips because the market I go to regularly doesn't carry them. I have to make a trip over to the one that does. I love them roasted.

That's how I like them too. I went to the indoor farmers market this past Saturday and bought turnips, sunchokes, french breakfast radishes, beets, and these weird kale/brussels sprouts hybrids, as well as some eggs and milk and yogurt. Of course everything was selling potatoes and sweet potatoes and winter squash and apples (plus some Asian pears), but I had a ton of those (but for the pears) already.

Unpopular: I actually kind of like the off-season indoor farmers market more than the summer ones, although I love those too, because it's more laid back and it's fun to see what they have. I get a farm share during the season too, so usually have fewer needs to buy more produce.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I don't like mushy green peas by themselves. I like them in stew or chicken pot pie or some sort of dish, but by themselves yuck!

I don't get green peas mushed up. Ick. It's a thing with some Irish/English places that do fish & chips here.

Plain, non mushed peas are take or leave for me, but mushed up I won't touch them.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    Nutter Butter > Oreo

Nutter Butter=Oreo
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited November 2018
    Nutter Butter > Oreo

Vienna Fingers are better than either, at least for a couple of days. I can't stand having any of the mass produced sandwich cookies too many times in a row without switching off. Both the other two are in the mix and would get eaten.
  • admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    Slightly savoury desserts are so much better than overly sweet desserts.
  • admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    admaarie wrote: »
    Slightly savoury desserts are so much better than overly sweet desserts.

What is this "overly sweet dessert" of which you speak?

EDIT - I have eaten frosting straight out of the can...
    For me overly sweet desserts are like those fondant icings on cakes, Indian desserts, etc.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    Nutter Butter > Oreo

Nutter Butter=Oreo

I just can't stand that filling in an original Oreo. Reminds me of toothpaste. ;)
    Nutter Butter > Oreo

Vienna Fingers are better than either, at least for a couple of days. I can't stand having any of the mass produced sandwich cookies too many times in a row without switching off. Both the other two are in the mix and would get eaten.

Never had a Vienna Finger... I'll have to try one.