Thanksgiving recipes

Options
FL_Hiker
FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
edited November 2018 in Recipes
Hi all,
Would love to see your tried and true favorite family thanksgiving recipes! Turkey, appetizers, sides, and desserts all would be great! I’m excited (and nervous!) to be cooking my first thanksgiving in my new home this year 😊.
Thanks!

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    Here's a side we do while the turkey roasts.
    https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/harissa-and-maple-roasted-carrots
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first thanksgiving too! EEEkk. I'm excited to do things my way ha

This is not a traditional thanksgiving recipe but we have it in my family every year and I love it:

Strawberry Jello Pretzel salad
    https://addapinch.com/strawberry-pretzel-salad-recipe/

this is what I'm thinking will be on the menu:
    Smoked turkey (by my husband)
    I guess I'll make stuffing even though I don't care for it
    Mashed potatoes and gravy
    creamed corn with jalapenos
    green beans
    sweet potatoes (not the casserole with marshmallows, I prefer them more savory although I don't have that one figured out yet)
    rolls
    pumpkin pie with homemade whipped cream
    strawberry jello pretzel salad :)

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    @hesn92, we prefer savory sweet potatoes too. I am going to try hasselback sweet potatoes this year. A lot of recipes, both sweet and savory on Pinterest.
    @Fl_Hiker this recipe for Jiffy Cornbread Casserole is a family favorite. I always add cooked pork sausage links to this
    https://site.jiffymix.com/spoon-bread-casserole/
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    This wild rice and mushrooms is a nice side dish with turkey, particularly of you have any gluten-free guests. The marsala wine is key, so don't substitute it.

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/wild-rice-mushrooms
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Here is our family's absolute must have side dish:

Corn Pudding
    5 eggs
    1/3 cup butter, melted
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/2 cup milk
    4 tablespoons cornstarch
    1 can whole kernel corn
    2 cans cream-style corn

Grease a 2 quart casserole dish.

Lightly beat eggs. Stir in melted butter, sugar, and milk. Whisk in cornstarch until no lumps are present. Add corn and lightly stir. Pour into casserole dish and bake 1 hour at 400°
  • dechowj
    dechowj Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Here is a list of what we typically have for thanks giving (split between 3 families). If anything sounds good to you let me know and I'll type out the recipe.

Appetizers: Pigs in a blanket, spicy sriracha meatballs, shrimp cocktail deviled eggs, stuffed mushrooms, fruit with fluff dip, cheese crackers and pepperoni platter

Meal: Turkey, sausage stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes with marshmallows, creamed corn, candied carrots, rolls, orange spiced cranberry sauce, roasted bacon Brussel sprouts

Desert: apple crumb pie, pumpkin pie, peanut butter cream cheese pie, hot chocolate ice cream
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    This is the menu-
    Veggie tray with dip
    Deviled eggs
    Sliced apples
    Turkey
    Mashed potatoes
    Stuffing
    Gravy
    Rolls
    Roasted asparagus with mushrooms
    Cranberry sauce
    Pumpkin maple pie
    Cherry pie
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    My brother in law makes this every year. It is very good!

Spinach, Artichoke & Brie Stuffing

Ingredients

* 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    * 2 1/2 pounds spinach, washed (3 cups cooked and roughly chopped)
    * 2 cups chopped yellow onions
    * 1 tablespoon roughly chopped garlic
    * 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons Emeril's Italian Essence, or other Italian seasoning blend
    * 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
    * 1 1/4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    * 3 (8 1/2-ounce) cans quartered artichoke hearts, any tough outer leaves removed
    * 2 large eggs
    * 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
    * 2 cups chicken stock
    * 2 tablespoons lemon juice
    * 12 to 14 cups cubed (1-inch) day-old French bread (1 loaf)
    * 1 pound Brie, rind removed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
    * 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
    * 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley leaves

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 by 13-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon olive oil.

Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add the spinach and cook until just wilted, about 30 seconds. Drain and rinse with cold water. Once cool, squeeze as much water from spinach as possible, then roughly chop, and reserve.

Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until golden brown and tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, 2 teaspoons of Italian Essence, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and cook, stirring, until the garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the artichokes and cook, stirring, another 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and reserve.

Combine the eggs, cream, chicken stock, lemon juice, remaining 1 tablespoon Italian Essence, remaining 2 teaspoons salt, and remaining 1 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Whisk to combine. Add the bread, spinach, artichoke mixture, brie, 1/4 cup Parmesan, and parsley and stir to combine. If bread does not absorb all of liquid immediately then let rest until this happens, about 20 minutes.

Pour the bread pudding mixture into the prepared dish. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan over the top and drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Bake until firm in the center and golden brown, about 1 hour. Serve warm.
  • hesn92
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Here is our family's absolute must have side dish:

Corn Pudding
    5 eggs
    1/3 cup butter, melted
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/2 cup milk
    4 tablespoons cornstarch
    1 can whole kernel corn
    2 cans cream-style corn

Grease a 2 quart casserole dish.

Lightly beat eggs. Stir in melted butter, sugar, and milk. Whisk in cornstarch until no lumps are present. Add corn and lightly stir. Pour into casserole dish and bake 1 hour at 400°

Oh yum I love corn pudding. My husband doesn’t, he says it has a weird texture. So I never make it. I’m afraid of making it and being the only one to eat any.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    My brother in law makes this every year. It is very good!

Spinach, Artichoke & Brie Stuffing

Ingredients

* 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    * 2 1/2 pounds spinach, washed (3 cups cooked and roughly chopped)
    * 2 cups chopped yellow onions
    * 1 tablespoon roughly chopped garlic
    * 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons Emeril's Italian Essence, or other Italian seasoning blend
    * 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
    * 1 1/4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    * 3 (8 1/2-ounce) cans quartered artichoke hearts, any tough outer leaves removed
    * 2 large eggs
    * 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
    * 2 cups chicken stock
    * 2 tablespoons lemon juice
    * 12 to 14 cups cubed (1-inch) day-old French bread (1 loaf)
    * 1 pound Brie, rind removed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
    * 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
    * 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley leaves

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 by 13-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon olive oil.

Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add the spinach and cook until just wilted, about 30 seconds. Drain and rinse with cold water. Once cool, squeeze as much water from spinach as possible, then roughly chop, and reserve.

Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until golden brown and tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, 2 teaspoons of Italian Essence, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and cook, stirring, until the garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the artichokes and cook, stirring, another 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and reserve.

Combine the eggs, cream, chicken stock, lemon juice, remaining 1 tablespoon Italian Essence, remaining 2 teaspoons salt, and remaining 1 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Whisk to combine. Add the bread, spinach, artichoke mixture, brie, 1/4 cup Parmesan, and parsley and stir to combine. If bread does not absorb all of liquid immediately then let rest until this happens, about 20 minutes.

Pour the bread pudding mixture into the prepared dish. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan over the top and drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Bake until firm in the center and golden brown, about 1 hour. Serve warm.

This is right up my alley. I may make this tonight.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Probably my popular recipe is a Spicy, Tex-Mex Sausage Cornbread Stuffing. I think it's an old Bob Evan's recipe. Since I'm now Gluten Free, I make the Gluten Free Cornbread in advance a couple of days, so it can dry out a bit. I cut it, leave unwrapped and on the counter. You can also slowly toast it up more in the oven.

10 to 12 cups of Dried Cornbread Crumbs
    One Pound of Spicy Sausage (fried and crumbled)
    Four to Six Cups of Chicken Broth
    Large Can of Green Chilis
    One Red Pepper
    One Yellow Pepper
    One large Onion Diced
    One Cup of Celery Pieces
    One Stick of Butter (or 1/2 cup margarine)
    Spices to Taste (Oregano, Salt, Pepper, Cayenne optional)

Slightly cook the celery, onion and raw peppers in the butter until onions are translucent. Add in the green chilies and spices. Put the crumbs in a large bowl and pour over the vegetable/broth mixture. Toss lightly and put into greased or sprayed 13 X 9 pan. Slowly pour the broth over the stuffing in the pan. Go light, you can always add more if it's dry. Wrap tightly with foil and bake at 350.
  • ascreative6858
    ascreative6858 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How can we figure calories per serving for the spicy Tex mex cornbread stuffing?
  • MikePfirrman
    edited November 2018
    Options
    How can we figure calories per serving for the spicy Tex mex cornbread stuffing?

Just like everything else, create a custom recipe. I have mine on Loseit currently. Add all the individual ingredients together (I use Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Cornbread Mix) and then figure out roughly how many portions you have in a 13 X 9 pan (around 16 servings or so). The only variable for me is how much broth goes on it. It's more or less by little at a time till you get it just wet enough but not too soggy. I usually start with around two cups.

I got 223 per serving based on 16 servings and 8 cups of cornbread.

• hesn92
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I hope someone sees this and responds today lol. I am using stove top stuffing because I'm lazy and I don't really care that much about stuffing anyway. Do I just cook it according to the box instructions, or should I do anything to jazz it up a little? What do you all do with stove top? I literally don't know anything about stuffing.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited November 2018
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I hope someone sees this and responds today lol. I am using stove top stuffing because I'm lazy and I don't really care that much about stuffing anyway. Do I just cook it according to the box instructions, or should I do anything to jazz it up a little? What do you all do with stove top? I literally don't know anything about stuffing.

I'd like to say it's not that great but it's pretty decent. Think add ins if you want. Dried (not fresh, tried that once, yuch!) cranberries, pecans, a crisp apple. All after cooking according to the label. Really not a whole lot else that I can think of that wouldn't be too much of a good thing.

My wife makes her own traditional stuffing. Yeah, she tries to outdo me! Hers is, because she's gluten free, essentially stove top without the broth or vegetables added. It's just seasoned GF breadcrumbs in a box. This year, we're adding fennel bulb instead of celery and leeks instead of onions to hers.

Basically, all stuffings are just stale bread, celery, onion, broth (just enough to cover) herbs and butter or margarine plus add ins. Nuts, cranberries, apples, mushrooms or whatever you like. I prefer my stocks salty. Boxed stuffing is usually salty enough as is.
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    This is essentially my wife's Carrot Cake recipe for Thanksgiving. You have to REALLY drain the Pineapple well or it will be a soggy mess. Sometimes we take out a bit of oil to compensate and it has to bake long enough, but if you make this right, OMG. People that have had it say, if they've never had Carrot Cake, this is best cake they've ever eaten.

She also used to double the Cream Cheese too. She uses White (now GF) Flour too. Because she's non-dairy now, we use the fake Cream Cheese and it still turns out well.

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/carrot-cake-white-whole-wheat-flour/7d483bc6-f143-44e8-8c99-f7b481874380#reviewDiv
  • no1racefan1
    no1racefan1 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

I used to make Stove Top stuffing. I always used chicken broth instead of water, and I would add extra broth after it was done because I always think it ends up too dry and crumbly.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I have thanksgiving with friends tonight and am bringing a turkey that I cooked in the Sous Vide for the first time. O M G it has exceeded all my expectations for tender and juicy! I boned and skinned the breast , detached the legs and left the bone in for presentation bonus, and clipped the wings for soup. If you have a Sous Vide circulator and want to try it, I did the legs for 8 hours at 150F and the breast at 140 for 10 hours (it’s a big breast , almost seven pounds!). It’s all reheating now in the gas oven, after which I will wrap it snugly in a solar blanket and drive quick as I can to the party.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

I'm not jazzing it up because my picky eater dd likes it following the box instructions and she won't like it if I alter it. It is not a big deal to anyone else but would ruin her Thanksgiving.