How I stopped kidding myself

Replies

• solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    For the scale-too-small issue - I made a thread yesterday about scale recommendations, and one person recommended a scale that had a pull-out display. https://www.oxo.com/products/preparing/measuring/5lb-food-scale-w-pull-out-display#black

It's da best based on reviews; but, tends to be expensive

Thanks!! I've been looking for a new one!
  • ata1anta
    ata1anta Posts: 115 Member
    My salad building routine at work (I eat late so don't incur the ire of other patrons): Weigh the container, note wt on lid. Add lettuce. note wt on lid. Repeat for each thing I add. Then when I get to my desk, I do a little math and enter it into my food diary.

At home, I have a scale that has a "hold" button. If the container is too big, I hit the hold button and it holds the weight reading when I remove the container. Though I think I may need a new one, it's been knocked to the floor a few times and I wonder at its accuracy anymore.
  • sarahlucindac
    sarahlucindac Posts: 235 Member
    Bump!
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    for solid foods, i put a sheet of plastic on my scale, put the solid foods on the plastic and dump it into the bowl after weighing it.

for non-solids, like mayo, i am going to adopt the 'weigh the jar before and after removing the spoonful' method suggested above - i love it!
  • kushiel1
    kushiel1 Posts: 95 Member
    edited November 2018

Put stout glass on scale. Put plate or bowl on top of glass. Read scale from under plate or bowl.[/quote]

Wow, this never occurred to me but man would that make some things easier!!
  • kushiel1
    kushiel1 Posts: 95 Member
    Apparently I dont get how to approprately quote thing here yet, but I love this thread!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Bump
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    edited November 2018
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    For the scale-too-small issue - I made a thread yesterday about scale recommendations, and one person recommended a scale that had a pull-out display. https://www.oxo.com/products/preparing/measuring/5lb-food-scale-w-pull-out-display#black

It's da best based on reviews; but, tends to be expensive

I own this one... works great. It was also the winner of America's Test Kitchen's digital kitchen scales test.

Edit: their winner was the 11-pound version
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    amy19355 wrote: »
    for solid foods, i put a sheet of plastic on my scale, put the solid foods on the plastic and dump it into the bowl after weighing it.

for non-solids, like mayo, i am going to adopt the 'weigh the jar before and after removing the spoonful' method suggested above - i love it!

I like to keep some plastic yogurt-tub lids around to use as scale protectors for weighing small solids. A quick rinse, and it's clean. Recycled/reused, nothing to dispose.

I have a little set of three nested metal bowls that live on my scale.
  • quiksylver296
    bump
  • quiksylver296
    bump