5'4-5'5 women what are your maintenance calories?

13»

Replies

• bemyyfriend0918
    bemyyfriend0918 Posts: 241 Member
    I'm 5'4, 27 years old, and when at my goal weight of 154lbs I maintain right around 2200. I eat 2000 usually to try and make up for days I know I go over, especially during holiday season.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Wow, ladies with 2000+ calorie maintenance have it awesome! I'm not at my goal weight, currently weigh 156.8lbs and my maintenance is 1890. My goal weight (first one atleast) is 135 lbs and mfp claims my maintenance will be a measly 1680....primarily because I am sedentary for the majority of the day and only go on a 30min walk on lunch breaks.

Question, how active are you ladies with 2000+ maintenance? I'm wondering what I will need to do to get my tdee that high once I reach maintenance.

My maintenance seems to be in the low 2000 area even before exercise, i.e., net, at 5'5", 130-something (varies by day), age 63. I get around 6000 steps most days, and do some fun activity (rowing, spin class - mostly) for around 45 minutes 6 days a week in Spring/Summer/Fall, and less than that, but at least 3 days a week sometimes more in Winter (still spin, a little machine rowing, rest varies - swim, walk, weight train, etc.).

The NEAT thing above matters (fidgeting, according to actual research, can burn up to a couple hundred calories a day!) I suspect it also helps to have a bit more muscle mass than average, though I'm far from a bodybuilder/powerlifter, to eat foods with a higher TEF (not that I'd do it for its effect on TDEE, it's about what one likes eating), and generally a bunch of other stuff that individually may add a totally trivial number of calories daily (<25-50), but that add up.
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

My maintenance seems to be in the low 2000 area even before exercise, i.e., net, at 5'5", 130-something (varies by day), age 63. I get around 6000 steps most days, and do some fun activity (rowing, spin class - mostly) for around 45 minutes 6 days a week in Spring/Summer/Fall, and less than that, but at least 3 days a week sometimes more in Winter (still spin, a little machine rowing, rest varies - swim, walk, weight train, etc.).

The NEAT thing above matters (fidgeting, according to actual research, can burn up to a couple hundred calories a day!) I suspect it also helps to have a bit more muscle mass than average, though I'm far from a bodybuilder/powerlifter, to eat foods with a higher TEF (not that I'd do it for its effect on TDEE, it's about what one likes eating), and generally a bunch of other stuff that individually may add a totally trivial number of calories daily (<25-50), but that add up.

That's really great, I wonder why it can vary so much from person to person? Of course I don't know for sure what my maintenance will be like when I reach goal but mfp is predicting my current maintenance quite well (just 50 calories lower than it really is). I do plan on starting a weightlifting program when I reach my goal though but I've heard that weightlifting doesn't add much exercise calories. Do I need to include some cardio as well perhaps?

it amazes me that people a similar size to me maintain on so little. i am 5ft5 and 135lbs and maintenance is roughly net 2000 for me.

i don't think of myself as particularly active outside of exercise either... i usually get around 6000 steps per day. i work out 5 x a week 30-60 minutes (plus 1 long run of 90-120 minutes) running/cycling/strength training.

I'm amazed at the opposite, how some women maintain on such high calories!! I walk anywhere from 5,000-8,000 steps in a day which I guess can be considered lightly active when I'm 6000+? I don't know why my maintenance calories even at an overweight bmi (currently 26.9 at 5'4") are so low :( It is such a bummer!! I want to being a weightlifting program once I reach my goal but the thought of having to incorporate cardio to get more calories is uspetting.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    I'm 5'4, 150 pounds and 56 years old. I am not very active and maintain on about 1700 to 1800. I've been maintaining for almost 5 years.
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    I'm the same stats as you normally.

I maintain on an average of 2100 calories a day but that includes my exercise calories.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,931 Member
    I am 5 ft 3 in and over 50 years old. My maitenance calories are 1710 net.

I weigh 62 kg - not sure what that is in pounds but is a BMI of 23.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I'm 5'5" and hover around 133, I'm 41. Outside of exercise I estimate I would maintain on about 1600. I'm not particularly active outside of my workouts and am not carrying a lot of muscle.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    I'm 5'3.5" and 47 years old, 108 pounds (very small frame). Sedentary desk job (but I have a sit/stand desk and just recently got a Fluidstance balance board for it!) and I average around 6,000 - 7,000 steps a day. My maintenance calories are right around 1500. Bear in mind, I have zero natural hormones, so I don't fluctuate due to that any more.
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    mmnv79 wrote: »
    I don't know how old are you, but that's what the online calculator I use says for your stats.

t160hz1a3zym.png

a0kdpysy9oe6.png

Would you share the link to the calculator?
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited November 2018
    We are all so different body comp wise and weight wise, not sure why you just want the height as an input...but anyway, I am 5 foot 5, 44 years old, 158 lbs and my maintenance is 2670 cals (gross)...I cycle to and from work, I am in a fairly active job (care work) and I strength train 3 - 4 times per week.

By my estimation at my height and your weight I would maintain on around 2100 cals (gross) per day...but I am not you...
  • AuthorNinja
    AuthorNinja Posts: 69 Member
    I'm 5'4" and maintain between 107-111 depending on the time of the month lol. I'm not as tight on my logging as I could be. My maintenance calories are 1500-1700. I'm guesstimating. I usually log 1500ish but i'm accounting for the inaccuracies.
  • sgriska
    sgriska Posts: 109 Member
    I’m 5’4”, 140 lbs, 52 years old, broad frame, desk job, walk an average 12000 step/day, a and I recently had my RMR tested at 1483, with suggested maintenance calories between around 1600-1900 depending on activity level. Only just started maintenance so too soon to tell how that will all work out, but that’s the data I have.