What shoes are you in? Favorite gear to share with others?

Options
2»

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Current shoes.

OnCloud road shoes. The only pavement I run are races. So, these really suck on the trail because they pick up rocks. Haha! Maybe I'll add some pavement when I make it up for morning runs. 8 drop (I think).

In my first year of heavy trail running my preferred trail shoe was the CloudVenture. I never had a problem with them picking up rocks. They were my shoe of choice for running long trail races. The following year I found the "pods" to bother me and I haven't worn my second pair that much.

Now my go-to shoe for long races is the Altra Lone Peak 3.5, in a size larger than I used to wear. The "correct" size was a little too small and the tips of my toes would get rubbed enough that I nearly got blisters. No more problem with a size up.

All my trail shoes are zero or low drop. Merrell Bare Access has fallen out of favor, but now I like my old Merrell All Out Charge, which had fallen out of favor previouly. Weird how my preference for shoes keeps changing.

For road running I've come to like the Free RN Motion Flyknit 2017, a goofy looking shoe with a goofier name. What the hell is Nike doing with a longass names like that? I bought them on a lark for $52, liked them quite a bit, and bought two more pair at $40 each. They are very comfortable...like a slipper with a good outsole. I've only run up to 9 miles at a time with them so I don't know yet how I'll like them for long runs. Because they use velcro straps instead of laces, I'm concerned with longevity, but at that price, I can't complain. I hope to get 250 miles out of them before the velcro comes apart.

The Nike's are 4mm drop. My ASICS Gel Nimbus and Brooks Launch are 10mm. They're fine, but I'm transitioning to zero to low drop shoes for pavement as well.

I have 9 pair in rotation (3 paved, 6 trail) and 7 pair in reserve (5 paved, 2 trail), so I'm am finally starting to whittle down the stable.

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - Are the Nikes tight at all on the top over the arch of your foot? I have been looking at different flyknits to try but worry they will feel tight there and not be really adjustable. Also how is the sizing?

Does anyone know of brands that come in wide? I like my Skoras, Topos and Altras because of the wide toe box. Skora hasn't had any new shoes for about a year now and my last pair I ordered from a store in Dubai and had shipped to me. Topo doesn't seem to be coming out with any new models, I was hoping for something similar to the ST-2 but with a bit more cushioning and Altra... well I have a love/hate relationship with Altras and how they fit.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @7lenny7 - Are the Nikes tight at all on the top over the arch of your foot? I have been looking at different flyknits to try but worry they will feel tight there and not be really adjustable. Also how is the sizing?

Does anyone know of brands that come in wide? I like my Skoras, Topos and Altras because of the wide toe box. Skora hasn't had any new shoes for about a year now and my last pair I ordered from a store in Dubai and had shipped to me. Topo doesn't seem to be coming out with any new models, I was hoping for something similar to the ST-2 but with a bit more cushioning and Altra... well I have a love/hate relationship with Altras and how they fit.

@shanaber not tight at all. The two straps that cross at the top are elastic with Velcro at the ends, so you can control the fit.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    First run of the month for me was a 5k parkrun in torrential rain. But even the foul weather wasn't able to stop me and 54 other runners from having a fabulous time.

I even found time to take a quick picture of our lovely Fall leaves.

bdj2pw279tz0.jpg

Oops. Posted this in the wrong place. Sorry about that.

• smeebles
    smeebles Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Running in Brooks Ravenna 9 currently. Really like them so far
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried the Altra Solstice? It seems to get good reviews and is lighter and lower than the Escalante. Also considerably cheaper.