Pump up the music. Playlists. Do they help?

2»

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I will not listen to music while biking outside because I need to be aware of my surroundings for the sake of me and other people. When I'm doing anything at the gym I'll listen to podcasts or classical music (I typically listen to classical music in general). This morning it was science vs. Most of the classical music I listen to, in general, isn't especially calm but, as long as I like it, the type of music or podcast I'm listening to doesn't really make a difference.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    I need my music for my runs! I have my playlist set up to play my most motivating songs at the half way point and the end of my run to help me push through.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    i think some people need the distraction. other people-their heads aren't always a safe place to be. some people naturally follow along with the beat of the music.

running while female, often in the city with questionable safety, i choose to not run with music. when i ran on a treadmill, i would watch action shows/movies

I've been told since i'm a girl I shouldn't run with headphones either. I took a self defense class a while back and the instructor also said no pony tails or braids since they're easy to grab and the bad guy could use it to control you into his vehicle... no back packs of any sort for the same reason... lots of suggestions. It kinda sucks, especially if you're training long distances not to bring with a water pack or put your hair up. I can't do without any of those things so I take the risk.

how are we supposed to wear our hair? A bun is the only option? Or just have really short hair?

I started a new thread on the subject that had some suggestions of braiding it, but my self defense instructor said completely down. Which at least for me is a complete pain, I’ve got butt length hair. If I ran with it down it’d get tangled up and I’d look like Wookiee.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited November 2018
    i think some people need the distraction. other people-their heads aren't always a safe place to be. some people naturally follow along with the beat of the music.

running while female, often in the city with questionable safety, i choose to not run with music. when i ran on a treadmill, i would watch action shows/movies

I've been told since i'm a girl I shouldn't run with headphones either. I took a self defense class a while back and the instructor also said no pony tails or braids since they're easy to grab and the bad guy could use it to control you into his vehicle... no back packs of any sort for the same reason... lots of suggestions. It kinda sucks, especially if you're training long distances not to bring with a water pack or put your hair up. I can't do without any of those things so I take the risk.

how are we supposed to wear our hair? A bun is the only option? Or just have really short hair?

I started a new thread on the subject that had some suggestions of braiding it, but my self defense instructor said completely down. Which at least for me is a complete pain, I’ve got butt length hair. If I ran with it down it’d get tangled up and I’d look like Wookiee.

Yea, that's not happening. :D

And I also don't want to spend 10 minutes trying to get my hair into some complicated braid around my head. I can hardly do a regular french braid

so I'll just risk it with my pony tail
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member

Wouldn't an attacker just reach in and grab a handful of hair if it's down, though? I would think that unless you have your hair up in a bun or a hat, either way would still allow someone to grab your hair and yank.
  • hesn92
    mph323 wrote: »

Wouldn't an attacker just reach in and grab a handful of hair if it's down, though? I would think that unless you have your hair up in a bun or a hat, either way would still allow someone to grab your hair and yank.

I agree I don't see how wearing your hair down makes it harder to grab
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i think it's a little more confusing grabbing flying bits of hair than one heavier rope of hair
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited November 2018

A couple of strands isn’t going to hurt, I pull that much out just brushing it. I would be able to endure that kind of pain, but an entire pony tail ? Not to mention if you have very silky hair it’s more likely to just slip through the fingers. A pony tail supposedly gives the bad guy a better grip, and all of the hair at once. It’s easier to grab a rope like braid or pony tail than just a few strands.
    PS Sorry I completely derailed this thread 😳
  • hesn92
    I'm going to try running with my hair down and then I'll report back. :D
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member

A couple of strands isn’t going to hurt, I pull that much out just brushing it. I would be able to endure that kind of pain, but an entire pony tail ? Not to mention if you have very silky hair it’s more likely to just slip through the fingers. A pony tail supposedly gives the bad guy a better grip, and all of the hair at once. It’s easier to grab a rope like braid or pony tail than just a few strands.
    PS Sorry I completely derailed this thread 😳

It's an interesting derail, though :)

• Debgreasby2018
    Debgreasby2018 Posts: 30 Member
    I need music to run. Real world running I have it on a low volume. On the treadmill it’s at max volume! There are a few songs on my playlist that give me that extra push.
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 350 Member
    I like to listen to any type of music. I tried starting a community Spotify playlist for MFP but nobody added any songs to it lol.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    152 composed exercise playlists and counting. 😂😂😂 I make new ones for running all the time. I use songs to time my intervals.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,482 Member
    @Psychgrrl has me beat, I think I'm around 30 on YouTube at this point! I listen to everything but my favorite is metal. I have music on all the time, I can't work out WITHOUT music!
  • steph6556
    steph6556 Posts: 575 Member
    I was just thinking about how much I miss my gym/treadmill runs when I could play John Wick, Black Hawk Down, Zero Dark Thirty, or some Tarentino-type adrenaline movie to keep me pumped up! My gym is open but only while wearing a mask which is NOT going to work for me so I continue to run outside. I’m always amazed at how much MORE energy the music can eek out of me, pushing me to run faster when a perfect beat comes up. Then when I get home and know I have fifteen more minutes of ab work that I always want to skip, I turn the music up and wouldn’t ya know it, my ab routine just flew by!!