Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Big nutrition research scandal sees 6 more retractions, purging popular diet tips

2»

Replies

• Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    mortuseon_ wrote: »
    When I heard about this I felt pretty vindicated- I've never found those little tips and tricks like eating on a smaller plate helpful at all. Like I can get up and get more food even if the plate is small.

All you have to do to feel vindicated is wait a few weeks. You'll hear one study claims one thing, and another study claims the other.

There is way too much pressure to publish, too much "torturing the dataset until it confesses," too much grant money going towards "sexy" results for big companies or political lobbying purposes instead of pure, empirical science: science simply for the addition to the human knowledge for it's own sake.

Because an AGENDA is involved, on mulitple sides, from the professor to publish, the institution to amass publications/discoveries, companies to turn profit, grant providers to push their narrative/product/sector, the publications themselves to sell copies and the journalists who grab these for articles, the entire research structure is crumbling due to credibility issues.

Add to all of that nonsense is the egregious extrapolation of data to the nth degree, and speaking about hypothetical ideas as if "that's how it happened," to a public that doesn't know how jacked up science is right now, and it's a real mess.

Last week "science" thought the dinosaurs were extinct, this week "they" tell us those dinosaurs are just living in Ohio, next week we'll probably learn that gravity is a fake propaganda hoax like the moon.

Don't be mad. I'm just agreeing with scientists on the status of science. So who are you going to believe? You, or the scientific collective?

From phys.org:

"Widespread failure to reproduce research results has triggered a crisis of confidence in research findings, eroding public trust in scientific methodology. In response, PLOS Biology is launching on January 4th, 2016, a new Meta-Research Section devoted to research on research."

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2016-01-tackling-credibility-crisis-science.html#jCp

I know this is getting heavily 'woo-ed' and is not very popular, but I'm in the world of science (biochemistry) and this isn't entirely untrue. There IS a reproducibility crisis, we DO have a problem with p-hacking, and there ARE issues with bias. That's the thing - it's ultimately people who do science, and people can make mistakes. A lot of these issues aren't necessarily deliberate on the part of the scientist, but might occur from some subconscious bias or oversight during experimental design. This isn't to say that we should disregard all scientific discoveries, but I do think it's important to take a critical eye to studies, because peer review is not whatsoever infallible. Some people see 'peer reviewed journal' and assume that's enough. It really isn't.

More on the state of science, its problems, and why it isn't doomed (just yet) here: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/science-isnt-broken/

I agree with you There is now a whole new development of people working on reproducing results in science. Seems personal bias in research (need to publish to get funding) may be affecting the all too human scientist. However the science approach IMO is still the best we have and therefore I am very much in the science corner.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    edited November 2018
    Amid this latest course in the scandal, Cornell reported today, September 20, that Wansink has resigned from his position, effective at the end of the current academic year. In a statement emailed to Ars, Cornell Provost Michael Kotlikoff said that an internal investigation by a faculty committee found that “Professor Wansink committed academic misconduct in his research and scholarship, including misreporting of research data, problematic statistical techniques, failure to properly document and preserve research results, and inappropriate authorship.”

As Ars has reported before, the retractions, corrections, and today's resignation all stem from Wansink’s own admission of statistical scavenging to find meaningful conclusions in otherwise messy dieting data. The result is that many common dieting tips—such as using smaller plates to trick yourself into shoveling in less food and stashing unhealthy snacks in hard-to-reach places—are now on the cutting board and possibly destined for the garbage bin.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/09/six-new-retractions-for-now-disgraced-researcher-purges-common-diet-tips/

This is worth a read even if just for the food puns. But the knowledge is useful, too.

@lemurcat2 did you hear about this?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited November 2018
    i personally have found a smaller plate has helped me eat less. idk why. but it works for me
    also if i go shopping hungry, i often end up with doritos, snack cakes, etc.

i don't eat cabbage so i don't know if it has affected the status of my belly button
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Amid this latest course in the scandal, Cornell reported today, September 20, that Wansink has resigned from his position, effective at the end of the current academic year. In a statement emailed to Ars, Cornell Provost Michael Kotlikoff said that an internal investigation by a faculty committee found that “Professor Wansink committed academic misconduct in his research and scholarship, including misreporting of research data, problematic statistical techniques, failure to properly document and preserve research results, and inappropriate authorship.”

As Ars has reported before, the retractions, corrections, and today's resignation all stem from Wansink’s own admission of statistical scavenging to find meaningful conclusions in otherwise messy dieting data. The result is that many common dieting tips—such as using smaller plates to trick yourself into shoveling in less food and stashing unhealthy snacks in hard-to-reach places—are now on the cutting board and possibly destined for the garbage bin.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/09/six-new-retractions-for-now-disgraced-researcher-purges-common-diet-tips/

This is worth a read even if just for the food puns. But the knowledge is useful, too.

I did. Too bad, I kind of liked Wansink.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I did. Too bad, I kind of liked Wansink.

Yes, I find a lot of his tips helpful - smaller plates, keeping trigger foods out of sight, etc.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    They work for me too. One thing I've found is that I tend to eat what's on my plate, so controlling how much I put on the plate and putting everything else away or in containers for leftovers (or just having a rule that I don't have seconds) is helpful. Eating ice cream in a small bowl was what allowed me to be happy with just a little after dinner. I don't tend to keep food out in plain sight anyway, but I think that would be useful too.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    They work for me too. One thing I've found is that I tend to eat what's on my plate, so controlling how much I put on the plate and putting everything else away or in containers for leftovers (or just having a rule that I don't have seconds) is helpful. Eating ice cream in a small bowl was what allowed me to be happy with just a little after dinner. I don't tend to keep food out in plain sight anyway, but I think that would be useful too.

Same.