Did you gain weight back?

I've fluxuated between 5 pounds since I stopped dieting, but just recently I gained over 10 pounds
(it's been two years since I've dieted. I'm going back on my calorie counting journey now. (UGH lol).

Did you gain weight back? How long did did it take? Did you find it easy or hard to lose those gained pounds?

Replies

• w8goal4life
    w8goal4life Posts: 1,375 Member
    The important thing for me is to avoid the word "diet." To me, it is a 4-letter word. I've never been on a diet, and I eat anything I want although perhaps not in the portions I might like. I have a "nutrition plan" which I refer to should conversation arise. I've been on this journey since 2011. Did I ever gain any weight back? You bet I did, and it started as soon as I stopped tracking...10 pounds over the course of a year. The most important lesson is that continued success is a lifestyle change. It doesn't stop once you've reached that magic weight goal. Maintaining is as difficult as losing, requiring adjustments, as needed, to stay in a healthy weight range. As far as losing the weight, again...it's all CICO. I hope I've learned from the same mistake you made and don't ever put that 10 pounds on, again. I invite you to participate in one of the community challenges, Ultimate Accountability Challenge. A new challenge starts each month, the leader RangerRickL is an attorney who opens each day with an inspiring photo or message. Each day, members account for exercise, calories and logging. It's very simple, no one dictates what you can or cannot eat, what exercise you choose, etc...and no one fails. It is an all-inclusive group. You can check it out here if you like. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/129035-ultimate-accountability-challenge-november-2018
  • DeniseWilson43
    DeniseWilson43 Posts: 87 Member
    Yes an it sucks, it always come back, you just have to be real with your self, an strick with your self. I hate how creeps back up its battle that never ends Denise
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Yes. It's a long arduous process and as much is maintaining weight as losing it. I've been up and down 20kg every few years. Seasonal maybe? Idk. But I'm watching it.
  • Melionfire
    Melionfire Posts: 343 Member
    In the past I always gained weight back after losing a large amount because I somehow forgot the principal of cico and let my calories slowly creep up over time and activity lever down. But now I feel I have a handle on it. I do weigh myself regularly and have a 5 pound range. If I ever hit the top end I start tracking more and moving more. I also added more lifting this time which has helped immensely. I feel having fitness goals not related to weight loss very motivational. Instead of I have to get this workout in and dreading it and often skipping it I look forward to seeing how much more I can lift each session. It is never ending and there will always be events and situations that throw curveballs at you but just remember cico.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    No, I've been maintaining in the same 5lb range since March of 2017 because I still track and log.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    No. I've been maintaining within my 5lb range for over 5 years - its a habit to monitor my weight and if I saw weight creep happening, I'd nip it in the bud by going back to eating at deficit again.
  • gojolida
    gojolida Posts: 53 Member
    I lost a lot of weight using MFP a few years ago, but developed a medical condition in the years i was maintaining my weight, and then depression, and then exhaustion. It's so much harder losing weight that you've put back on because with it comes the mentality that it's only a matter of time before you fail again or life trips you up. I read that Betty White doesn't let her scale fluctuate by a single pound, maybe that is part of the key to a long and healthy life. Staying conscious about your health and focused on your health every day of the year, no matter what.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Yes I did. Slowly over 2-3 years. But I continued pushing myself in the gym consistently and was mindful about what I ate so most of the weight has been muscle (but not all). Instead of having a weight range where I take action, I more so have a "look range" where I try to dial it back a bit if I start to look a little too fluffy or clothes don't fit as well.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    gojolida wrote: »
    I lost a lot of weight using MFP a few years ago, but developed a medical condition in the years i was maintaining my weight, and then depression, and then exhaustion. It's so much harder losing weight that you've put back on because with it comes the mentality that it's only a matter of time before you fail again or life trips you up. I read that Betty White doesn't let her scale fluctuate by a single pound, maybe that is part of the key to a long and healthy life. Staying conscious about your health and focused on your health every day of the year, no matter what.

It's almost impossible for the scale to not fluctuate at all, and I don't think that's a healthy goal. It may fluctuate less for someone like an older woman who no longer has a menstrual cycle, but the number on the scale also changes due to things like whether you have had a bowel movement, or whether you ate a bit more sodium the day before, or whether you're a little bit more or less hydrated. No one's weight is precisely the same every single day.
  • kabrock74
    kabrock74 Posts: 3 Member
    Lost 60 between Dec '16 and Sept '17. Gained back 20 between Sept '17 and Nov '18. Need to start back to lose that 20 again with a goal timeline of May '19 in time for a trip I'm planning.