Jogging? How do you begin?

So this might be a dumb question but I truly am looking for advice. I was in a car accident 4 years ago and got up my heaviest weight (323lbs) I began walking and hitting the gym. I dropped down to (250lbs) and then life got "hard" and stopped walking and hitting the gym. I am now up to almost my heaviest weight again and have started walking again and doing simple home workouts (with my home gym setup). My boyfriend used to be much heavier than I was and lost all of his weight by jogging. He sings praises for jogging all day in and out. He talks about how good it is for your body, how much freedom it gives you, the "joggers high", ect. I have tried jogging with him a few times in the last couple of years (I might seem like a whiner here) BUT I just cant seem to get into it and it HURTS not in a omg im dying kind of way but in a more intense way then lifting weights ever did. My question is how in the world do you push past that? how do you "get into it"? do you have any advice for beginners?
Thanks!

Replies

• k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited November 2018
    My question is how in the world do you push past that? how do you "get into it"? do you have any advice for beginners?
    Thanks!

Ease into ... Slow. Jog up an incline, walk down the incline. Jog up a set of stairs, slowly descend those very same stairs. Jog 2 blocks, walk the 3rd block. You need to jog at your own pace. You'll quickly lose interest ("can't seem to get into it") if your man is your pacer, since he has been jogging himself into weight loss and at maintenance for quite some time. At this point, you need to find your rhythm and nail your breathing, before you can join him at his set pace.
  • ferrenmariec97
    ferrenmariec97 Posts: 17 Member
    Thank you! So its not going to backpedal me to walk a block or two and then start jogging again? All the people in my life say that you undo everything you worked for if you stop to walk for a block or so?
  • ferrenmariec97
    Thank You! I will look it up!
  • ferrenmariec97
    Ok! Thank You! I think Ill start trying this jogging thing by myself using the C25K app, and your advice and see where that gets me! Thank You so much!
  • Bentforkx
    Bentforkx Posts: 69 Member
    The C25K app is awesome, however, be good to yourself. Instead of being pressured to go from one week to the next, advance to the next week when you feel ready for it. I often did four or five sessions at a given "level" (I don't like calling them weeks, it applies pressure to your performance) before I felt ready to advance. Stick with each level until you are comfortable, it's not a race, you are looking to create long term habits.

The best advice I can give you is get properly fitted for the best running shoes you can afford. Your feet will dictate how your running will turn out. When I finally figure this point out for myself, my knee pains virtually vanished because my feet were working the way they were supposed to, and the rest of my body wasn't compensating for any misalignments.

Happy trails
  • ferrenmariec97
    Properly fitted for the best running shoes I can afford? Another dumb question but cant you just run in your regular shoes? Please educate me!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited November 2018
    Properly fitted for the best running shoes I can afford? Another dumb question but cant you just run in your regular shoes? Please educate me!

No, get proper running shoes, go to a shop and get gait analysis
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Thank you! So its not going to backpedal me to walk a block or two and then start jogging again? All the people in my life say that you undo everything you worked for if you stop to walk for a block or so?

Are these people thing you this runners?
  • ferrenmariec97
    Most of them are not. Most of them run for a little while when trying to get "the perfect summer bod" and then stop once they get to that and then start over the next year.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited November 2018

That is absolute nonsense. No, you're not going to undo everything -- or even anything. I do a run-walk blend, and my fitness now is better than it was when I was a varsity swimmer in high school. I maintain a decent-enough half marathon pace, and tend to land right smack in the middle of my division when I do 5Ks.

One way to think of it, when evaluating what people are telling you: If that was true, would plans like C25K be as popular and successful as they are?

Try C25K. See how it goes. If you don't like running, you don't need to run. But if you want to try, that's a good way to get started.
  • ferrenmariec97
    Thank You! That actually makes a ton of sense! I definitely will!
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    I do two minutes walking, one minute running etc.. Slowly my stamina is increasing and I am running a little longer each week. Just go at your own pace.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    Another vote for C25K - I have a group over on the community for it. It's probably a bit quiet but there is a lot of tips and observations over there. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/120724-c25k-couch-to-5km-2017-beyond-app-users

I started the program in May 2017, I've been on and off with it around other things but I hadn't run since I was about 15 years old and I'm now 35. I've gone from feeling like I am going to die after 30 seconds of jog/walk intervals to going out for a 4km run just for fun.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,654 Member
    Tell people offering advice where to stick it and to mind their own business (in a polite way as they probably think they're helping and it isn't really their fault they don't know they're talking out of their *kitten*). Remember 'you do you'.
    Download C25k, get fitted for good shoes. Be kind to yourself, if you find you can't complete a session on the app, build up to it gradually. Have faith in the process. Run slower than you think you should until you build your stamina up. In fact, run so slowly you think you could walk faster than you're running. Make sure you can hold a conversation while you're running, or sing to yourself. If you can't, slow down. In fact, slow down a bit anyway just in case.
    Prepare to go from "can't get into it" to "hooked for life, someone sign me up for a million races".
    Enjoy!
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member

AnvilHead has more than adequately confirmed that you're to not pay these mentalities any mind.
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    So its not going to backpedal me to walk a block or two and then start jogging again?

No. Not in the least.
    All the people in my life say that you undo everything you worked for if you stop to walk for a block or so?
    Those people in your life should stop offering fitness advice, because they don't have the slightest idea what they're talking about.

• OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    So this might be a dumb question but I truly am looking for advice. I was in a car accident 4 years ago and got up my heaviest weight (323lbs) I began walking and hitting the gym. I dropped down to (250lbs) and then life got "hard" and stopped walking and hitting the gym. I am now up to almost my heaviest weight again and have started walking again and doing simple home workouts (with my home gym setup). My boyfriend used to be much heavier than I was and lost all of his weight by jogging. He sings praises for jogging all day in and out. He talks about how good it is for your body, how much freedom it gives you, the "joggers high", ect. I have tried jogging with him a few times in the last couple of years (I might seem like a whiner here) BUT I just cant seem to get into it and it HURTS not in a omg im dying kind of way but in a more intense way then lifting weights ever did. My question is how in the world do you push past that? how do you "get into it"? do you have any advice for beginners?
    Thanks!

You may want to consider power walking until you get to a safer weight before starting to run. I think this will do 2 things for you.

1. it will prepare your joints for running without risking injury due to the weight.
    2. if you do it at a fast pace, you can get a good cardio which will also prepare you for running.

Your husband can walk with you on his recovery days, or run along at a slower pace on his long slow days.

Trying to run with him now would not be a good idea, and you could wind up injuring yourself in the process.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Also remember that weight loss is about eating less calories than you burn. Your boyfriend didn't lose all his weight because he was jogging, he lost weight because he was in a calorie deficit, which exercise did help him achieve. As anyone will tell you, "you can't out exercise a bad diet." I'm not a runner so other than this I have no advice other than you need to be you and do this your way.