Post antibiotics gut tips? & probiotic recommendation?

Hey guys, worried as I'm in the middle of 10 days course of 3 kinds of antibiotics. Haven't had any in 3 years and sure my gut will be cleared of any bio after this. Any tips that you recommend for diet and supplements etc will be appreciated.

Replies

• Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Florastor (saccharomyces boulardii) or Culturelle (Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG) are generally recommended for post antibiotic use. Really NOT necessary, but conversely there is virtually no harm in taking; ask your PCP's opinion first. Probiotics must be spaced 2+ hours from antibiotics if used during an antibiotic course (or more easily, just do probiotics after antibiotic course).

Very grey subject matter (in terms of evidence based recommendation), personally, I would just stick to eating yogurt (common in my diet); just economically not worth it otherwise (redundant).
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited November 2018
    Kefir & yogurt - actual food in conjunction with whole grains, fruit, veggies -after you finish your meds. You'll get back to normal.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    I recommend bio-kult advanced probiotics. They are expensive but really strong. They helped me get over issues I had for years dealing with the aftermath of strong antibiotics. Fermented Foods like kefir, yogurt, sauerkraut, and kimchi are good but not as good as actual probiotics.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,586 Member
    I'm very pro probiotic if taking antibiotics. I ended up with c diff after taking one course so the next time I had to be on antibiotics, I took 3 different kinds. Probably overkill but getting rid of the c diff sucked so I wasn't going to take any chances.

The 3 probiotics I took were Culturelle (thank God for chewable), Digestive Advantage, and the Jarrow version of saccharomyces boulardii.
  • ClaireEZ2
    ClaireEZ2 Posts: 8 Member
    Very grey subject matter (in terms of evidence based recommendation), personally, I would just stick to eating yogurt (common in my diet); just economically not worth it otherwise (redundant).

Recent research points to taking probiotics post antibiotics as actually inhibiting your own gut microbiome from coming back. So I'm not sure what the benefit is of adding probiotic supplements really is, other than to the bottom line of the companies selling them Ourderstanding of the gut microbiome is really in its infancy, but evidence suggests it plays a huge factor in our overall health. I think a healthy skepticism is warranted, and it may be best to just eat a bit more of the foods you already eat that add to your gut microbes.

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    I’d do your best to rebuild with food. Kefir, sauerkraut (not together), yogurt, kambucha, etc. lots of veg, leafy greens, fruit, whole grains, etc.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I agree that it's best to do it with food. Unfortunately for me, I don't like fermented veggies, but they are very good sources. I ate a lot of yogurt the last time I had to take antibiotics.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    No post antibiotics, but very happy with Jarrow Formulas Saccharomyces Boulardii
  • Keto_Vampire
    edited November 2018
    kamaclaire wrote: »

Recent research points to taking probiotics post antibiotics as actually inhibiting your own gut microbiome from coming back. So I'm not sure what the benefit is of adding probiotic supplements really is, other than to the bottom line of the companies selling them Ourderstanding of the gut microbiome is really in its infancy, but evidence suggests it plays a huge factor in our overall health. I think a healthy skepticism is warranted, and it may be best to just eat a bit more of the foods you already eat that add to your gut microbes.

Poor study you posted (clickbait); underpowered (N=25), and no uniformity of product use
    This is getting sad, resorting to graphical abstracts because in general people are too lazy to read
  • katijjaa
    katijjaa Posts: 34 Member
    Thank you everyone for helping. It seems that articles discouraging the use of antibiotics all goes back to one Israeli study and their sample is very small. It still kinda makes sense that using probiotic may hinder the body's ability to produce on its own. I think I will stick to eating healthy and fermented food with bone broth and so on for at least 3 weeks before taking probiotic and florastor. What do you guys think?

Also my friend's doctor suggested that she eats expired yogurt for a month and that really fixed her gut problems so I was thinking of doing the same. Only as I live in Mexico, I can't find any yogurt or kefir that does not have sugar.
  • annk18
    annk18 Posts: 85 Member
    I'm in a similar situation right now. My doctor did suggest taking probiotics while on the antibiotics. Of course keep them several hours apart.
    Since I have to be dairy-free yogurt and kefir are out. And I don't like kimchi or sauerkraut. I don't seem to have a lot of options unless you guys come up with something for me.
  • ClaireEZ2
    ClaireEZ2 Posts: 8 Member
    kamaclaire wrote: »
    Poor study you posted (clickbait); underpowered (N=25), and no uniformity of product use
    This is getting sad, resorting to graphical abstracts because in general people are too lazy to read

And this is an exceedingly rude post.

In the future it may be worth remembering that the best course of action is to look for research that provides evidence for solid reasons to do something, as well as research that points to the opposite. What we do know is that we don't really understand the gut microbiome all that well, so considering what drives our economy, a healthy dose of skepticism of what is being marketed to us by "health" companies is wise.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Yep, I think we can both agree probiotics are not necessary though
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    kefir (home made is better than shop bought)
    dark chocolate
    natural yoghurt
    cloudy cider
    and red wine

sorted
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    dark chocolate
    natural yoghurt
    cloudy cider
    and red wine

sorted

+1 on the home made kefir. It not only tastes better, it's way cheaper and extremely easy to do.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    dark chocolate
    natural yoghurt
    cloudy cider
    and red wine

sorted

+1 on the home made kefir. It not only tastes better, it's way cheaper and extremely easy to do.

Recipe please :)

Cheers, h.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    I was on antibiotics for most of 2017 due to 4 surgeries and infected hardware from a fracture+fracture blister on my lower leg/ankle.

I took Vitamin Bounty Pro-50 and ate plenty of things like saurkraut, yogurts, etc, but the probiotic was my main tool. I also tried to eat generally healthy and keep some "replenishment" that way.

Seems to have worked pretty well as I never noticed any dramatic changes in what I could eat or how I did or didn't react to anything. No issues with side infections either (such as a yeast infection).