Is facial hair more dependent on genetics or nutrition?

Hi all!

Just a quick question. For somone trying to grow facial hair (more specifically a beard) would nutrition or genes be the more deciding factor as to how much you can grow? As of now I have a visible, fairly thick stache but i’ve not much of a beard which is what I really want. I’ve seen a lot of my family pictures and iirc none of the males have any significant beard, if it was all down to genes that’d be a bit of a bummer as I don’t have much of a chance if that’s the case. If it means anything the bulk of my heritage is Indian/Chinese/Spanish, I know that it’s not very typical for Chinese to grow a large amount of facial hair so I was wondering if that has anything to do with it. On the other hand, is there any food group/supplement that encourages the growth of facial hair?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Genetics sorry :( .
  • Adam__20000
    Adam__20000 Posts: 65 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Genetics.

No supplement is going to make you grow facial hair.

Aghhh! Thanks for responding anyways
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Genetics.

No supplement is going to make you grow facial hair.

Aghhh! Thanks for responding anyways

Just because your genetics are keeping your from growing the amount you want now, it doesn't mean things won't be different later on. My husband couldn't grow much facial hair when we got together in our teens but by his 30's he was sporting a full beard and it looked great.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Could always get some testosterone gel and rub on your lip! Lol....j/k
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    I didn’t have much hair as a young adult... my wife recently pointed out that my back is getting fuzzy - her face when she told me... priceless. I’m half Korean and I can grow a beard. I couldn’t until my 40’s though. ;)
  • Adam__20000
    Adam__20000 Posts: 65 Member
    If I tell you it's nutrition, will you eat more???

I already am eating more!!

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,024 Member
    I vote genetics, too, but I think my facial hair grows faster in a calorie surplus (this makes me sad, because I'm female). Rogaine (minoxidil) works for some people for facial hair, too, though.

I'd donate mine to you, if I could. ;)
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Don't be upset. The same genes that cause facial hair to grow many times cause baldness. I can't grow a beard either (or at least nothing significant). But my hair is a full today as it was 30 years ago when I was a teenager.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3203673

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/seriouslyscience/2014/11/20/going-bald-according-scientists-can-blame-beard/
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I vote genetics, too, but I think my facial hair grows faster in a calorie surplus (this makes me sad, because I'm female). Rogaine (minoxidil) works for some people for facial hair, too, though.

You beat me to it @AnnPT77.
    I was going to offer up the hairs on my chinny-chin-chin.

I'm plucking the dang things often enough it could be designated as a hobby. All that good nutrition may have a down side B)

It's genetic.

Cheers, h.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,024 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

You beat me to it @AnnPT77.
    I was going to offer up the hairs on my chinny-chin-chin.

I'm plucking the dang things often enough it could be designated as a hobby. All that good nutrition may have a down side B)

It's genetic.

Cheers, h.

Ooooh, da hairs, da hairs!

Ingrown da worst! Owiees!

Boys, y'all's ingrows dem? Da worst!

If insufficient hairz, dudez, eat protein in plenty. Not too few calz.

If straight guy: If not enuf hairs (ladies not care, I swear) be attentive, empathetic, sweet, loving - good guurllzzz lovez you, when you find 'em.

Waiting, seeking, caring - enough. Takez patience, though. (Worth. It. In spades.)

Not straight guys: No clue what you should do, sorry.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Genetics, but: When I was in my 20's I tried to grow a beard. It was weak. In my 50's I tried again, and it looks much better. I have no clue what happened other than I got older.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Good heavens, I almost didn't recognize it was you posting @JeromeBarry1 I am so used to your other avatar.
    I'm working on getting use to your whiskers.

Cheers, h.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    It's genetics. My fiancé, and all the men in his family, are like wildebeest and can grow a beard in a few days.. I'm not even being dramatic here. However my brother and my dad can go two weeks not shaving and just have a small amount of stubble.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    I am the local "Father Christmas" for the last 15 years or so and my beard always grows at the same speed and thickness. Only difference - it's rather white by now... Wonder why? Can't have anything to do with age (66 years old) or what? Only disadvantage: we live in the Southern Hemisphere - and oh boy, does that beard get hot! Always looking forward to shear it off again.
  • missjones8805
    missjones8805 Posts: 3 Member
    Genetics but I have known men who used minoxidil on their faces and it helped them grow hair in the spots they were lacking