Calorie break down

Options
Most of my calories are snacks which include fruit and nuts an occasional cookie. Should I be following MPG recommendations and eat more calories at meals?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What's MPG and what are they recommending?
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    There is nothing inherently wrong with snacking. If you stay within your calorie goal, your weight will behave as expected, regardless of how many of your calories come from snacks. However, if most of your calories come from things typically considered “snack” foods, then you may not be getting enough protein and/or micronutrients.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Some days when I have a long work day, the largest "meal" in my diary is "afternoon snack." That's not a problem (but my snacks include things like greek yogurt, dried or deli meat, and cottage cheese, as well as fruit, nuts, and sweets).
  • psprowl1
    psprowl1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Auto correct! My fitness pal MFP
  • margbarco
    margbarco Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    When I first started logging, most of my daily calories came from snacks. Now, I log my snacks according to the time of day and find it to be helpful.

For example, if I grab a handful of walnuts at 2pm, I’ll log it as part of my lunch. This helps me to see that I am in fact eating 3 solid “meals” per day.

So some of my meals are actually several snacks eaten over the course of a few hours, but by allocating the calories to specific meals helps me to stay within my calorie limit.