Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Keto diet = good or bad

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    @wmd1979 calories have never been the 'root' cause of obesity nor will become the root cause. No calories have ever jumped into my mouth. They are not like evil and we have to do battle with them daily.

The question is more like why do I overate calories. What about the things in our gut that is telling our brain what they want us to eat. Keto has been breaking cravings for the macros that are bad for our health longer than any of us have been alive.

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5496172/

"....By revisiting the causes for obesity, especially those stated by the leading health organisms, this article makes the case to view obesity as a consequence of disturbing the auto-regulation of hormones related to fat production and accumulation by diet composition, in particular that produced by industrialized processed food...."

What macros are bad for health?

The ones that make you health worse
    This is why ones own n=1 results are mission critical.

and those are...?

That's going to be highly individual and based on an individual's health. Someone with IR may do better with low carbs. Someone with autoimmune diseases or arthritis may find their symptoms are improved with very few carbs and worsened with more carbs. The n=1 is the key. What works for Gale, or me, may not work for you. :)

True but Gale said, "Keto has been breaking cravings for the macros that are bad for our health longer than any of us have been alive..."

He turned an "I" into an "our"...

True enough.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »
    rsclause wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    charlene77 wrote: »
    My husband just lost 70 pounds on Keto! He was supposed to start blood pressure medication in March. His blood pressure is down to 125/70.

He walked in the doctors office today and the doctor was thrilled as soon as he saw him. When he told him what he did, he said he is excited to see his blood work as he thinks his numbers are going to be good.

I’ve started Keto. I am down 31 pounds.

Don’t listen to everyone that says Keto is all about eating bacon.

I eat a ton of veggies everyday. I am actually aiming for higher protein than fat, unlike like many Keto people. I just stay away from sugar and don’t stress about it.

Maybe I should be considered low carb instead of Keto, since I am not into fatty meats.

You both lost weight not because of Keto. You simply lost weight due to calorie deficit. Its that simple.

So predictable, when someone has success with a keto WOE a flurry of following post will claim keto had nothing to do with it. For the record keto has nothing to do with my 22 pound loss and it was effortless with no calorie counting.

The diet she described was absolutely not Keto. She said she eats a lot of vegetables, tries to avoid sugar, and targets more protein than fat. That is not the Keto diet.

The Keto diet is:

1. A fixed, extremely low carb amount, regardless of source.
    2. Moderate protein intake
    3. High fat intake

If someone is not doing that, then it is not the Keto diet.

These plates have 20g of carbs on them. A keto'er could eat one, two or even three of these plates a day and stay in ketosis. Or none, like me. ;) And I'm a few years into this woe.

dn05p0fs0zv1.png

I actually question thr accuracy of those pictures. Mainly because i regularly eat peppers, which average 150-200g which is around 7-10g of carb. If you add in tomatoes and a zucchini, (my average zucchini was 9-12oz at 12g) it would probably be over 20g. Or did they mean net carbs? But even then i would question it.

Maybe i need to do an experiment to see the accuracy and take a picture. I suspect its a bit deceiving.

Good point. I've never checked it out. They do look like small plates...
    MikePTY wrote: »
    rsclause wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    charlene77 wrote: »
    My husband just lost 70 pounds on Keto! He was supposed to start blood pressure medication in March. His blood pressure is down to 125/70.

He walked in the doctors office today and the doctor was thrilled as soon as he saw him. When he told him what he did, he said he is excited to see his blood work as he thinks his numbers are going to be good.

I’ve started Keto. I am down 31 pounds.

Don’t listen to everyone that says Keto is all about eating bacon.

I eat a ton of veggies everyday. I am actually aiming for higher protein than fat, unlike like many Keto people. I just stay away from sugar and don’t stress about it.

Maybe I should be considered low carb instead of Keto, since I am not into fatty meats.

You both lost weight not because of Keto. You simply lost weight due to calorie deficit. Its that simple.

So predictable, when someone has success with a keto WOE a flurry of following post will claim keto had nothing to do with it. For the record keto has nothing to do with my 22 pound loss and it was effortless with no calorie counting.

The diet she described was absolutely not Keto. She said she eats a lot of vegetables, tries to avoid sugar, and targets more protein than fat. That is not the Keto diet.

The Keto diet is:

1. A fixed, extremely low carb amount, regardless of source.
    2. Moderate protein intake
    3. High fat intake

If someone is not doing that, then it is not the Keto diet.

These plates have 20g of carbs on them. A keto'er could eat one, two or even three of these plates a day and stay in ketosis. Or none, like me. ;) And I'm a few years into this woe.

dn05p0fs0zv1.png

Nobody who truly eats a lot of vegetables would consider one of those plates to be "lots of vegetables." That's like the salad that someone who actually eats a lot of vegetables eats before eating the rest of their vegetables.

Not knocking keto, but it's not a lifestyle that is compatible with eating lots of vegetables.

If someone is coming from a diet pattern of not really eating vegetables, getting 20 grams of carbohydrates from vegetables may seem like a lot of vegetables. That's what I suspect is happening when keto people self-describe as eating a lot of vegetables. But I added 20 grams of carbohydrates from vegetables to just my dinner last night on a whim (cabbage and cucumber salad) and that was in addition to the carrots, onion, tomato, and lettuce I was already eating so I am not buying that keto people are truly eating vegetables in abundance.

That could be.

I used to try to follow the food pyramid. It was a high carb diet but mainly because I tried to get my 6-12 servings of grain a day. Moderate or high carb diets that are not heavy in grains, would have a LOT more veggies.

A higher carb person could eat all four plates in a day and (even if the carb totals are too low) be barely over 100g-150g.
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    It concerns me that the rate of cheating is pretty high, and that has to play a part in the mental aspect of fitness... but I have friends that swear by it. Though, they aren't working out, which worries me.
  • DawnOfTheDead_Lift
    DawnOfTheDead_Lift Posts: 753 Member
    I wouldn't say its good or bad, but it is unneccessary for the majority of the population.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    My friends husband eats a keto diet. She says it makes him feel better from some health condition of his (I forgot what that was lol). For weight loss, eating keto is not necessary and more of a preference.
  • Phoebe5164
    Phoebe5164 Posts: 79 Member
    I agree that keto is just Adkins relabeled. I’m a fan of low carb ,high protein and fat . How we choose our macro numbers is completely up to each individual.

I have to say that with the help of fat bombs I have lost more weight then I ever have and I feel satisfied and even full most of the time 🌸

This discussion has been closed.