Autumn Winter 2018 to Spring 2019 Challenge

Replies

• tiabirdie56
    tiabirdie56 Posts: 3,973 Member
    @GrandmaJackie, Lol. I know the feeling, but you'll probably surprise yourself in a good way. I take my measurements once a month.
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,792 Member
    edited November 2018
    1/20 - I got 6 hrs and 45 mins sleep last night, woot hoot, that’s about normal for me. I’ll call that a win for me, sometimes I’ll only get around barely over 5, :(
    1/21 - I got 7 hrs and 58 mins, I got to bed early and was able to sleep past 6 am, πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ
    1/22 - I got 8 hrs and 3 mins, woot hoot! Happy Turkey Day, :)<3:)
  • deepwoodslady
    deepwoodslady Posts: 10,778 Member
    Thanksgiving-Pictures-Free-2.jpg
  • malika1976
    malika1976 Posts: 180 Member
    edited November 2018
    Feeling quite yuck:
    Wednesday 3h52m sleep
    Thursday no sleep
    Friday no sleep
    Will make a doctor's appointment today, but a bit worried about my ability to work

The things people ask:

Caffeine: 1 cup decaf coffee
    Exercise: injured knee, 45min exercise bike
    Screens in the evening: nope
    Temperature: around 16 degrees Celsius
    Hot milk: yes
    Melatonin: yes, but doesn't seem to do anything at all
    I'm careful to just use my bedroom for sleep etc
  • tiabirdie56
    edited November 2018
    @malika1976, Rosa-Jane, I've been using topical (transdermal) magnesium oil for a couple of years now. Applied on skin, works quickly for restful sleep. You can also buy magnesium chloride lotions and magnesium chloride flakes to use as a bath soak or as a foot soak.

You can read about it here:

link to: Topical Magnesium Oil and Sleep
  • tiabirdie56
    edited November 2018
    *****CHALLENGES*****
    **Each challenge will be for 7 days**
    **Each challenge will help us establish and reinforce good healthy habits**
    **Take your measurements on day 1 of the first challenge. No need to post them. They are for body measurement comparisons throughout and at the end of the challenge. January 20, 2019 and March 17, 2019 - We should notice some significant changes.

πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ˜΄πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

Begins Friday night, November 23rd ~ Ends Thursday night, November 29th

CHALLENGE #1/ SLEEP πŸ’€πŸ˜΄ 8 HRS NIGHTLY ~ The first holiday is over! You survived. Barely you say? You're gonna be alright. Now get some sleep 😴 Too tired and sleepy at the end of the day, 😩 yet you will not go to bed? Texting, gaming, watching TV, reading, crafting, shopping online, etc. 😡 In bed by 10pm is the challenge. For one week, let's put all the distractions away πŸ“ΊπŸ“΄ and GO TO BED. Don't take the cellphone or tablet. πŸ“΅ Note to self. Lol. πŸ’€Good nightπŸ’€
  • tiabirdie56
    edited November 2018
    @GrandmaJackie, Youre doing very well getting in your sleep hours! I've been working on mine for quite some time, but still have a bad habit of catching up on water too late in the day or drinking coffee and taking my tablet to the bedroom with me. 😟 My sleep robbers. Three weeks ago I stopped sitting up until 12-1am doing nothing but on my tablet. Everything I used to do after dinner clean up, I do right after dinner prep. Now I get sleepy at 8:30 and if I have nothing to do, I'm in bed by 9:30.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    @tiabirdie56 Hi! Thanks for having me! I have 41 lbs off so far.
  • deepwoodslady
    edited November 2018
    Here are my sleep stats so far. It's not pretty. Due to the nature of my at-home business, (since my husband passed away) I do not have the opportunity to get much sleep. However, I have grown used to it and usually feel okay. On Wednesday night I actually slept more than I have in a very very long time, but I made quite an effort to do so due to this challenge. However, with business, it is not possible very often. These numbers are according to my fitbit as well as my own observations of the clock.

Tuesday night 11/20: 3 hours and 9 minutes
    Wednesday night 11/21: 6 hours and 48 minutes
    Thursday night 11/22: 3 hours and 59 minutes

Even though I feel fine most of the time, I wonder if this is still affecting my weight loss. Does it help because I have more hours to move or does it hurt? All opinions are welcome.

I realize the sleep challenge is starting tonight (Friday night). Weekends are the very toughest for me. However, I support everyone here who can get their much-needed rest. It will be interesting to watch everyone's journey on this challenge and see how it might affect their weight as we go along. I also look forward to meeting new friends!

• tiabirdie56
    edited November 2018
    @deepwoodslady, I know for me, when I don't get enough sleep, I used to crave starchy carb foods. Now I don't crave those foods as much for that reason, but my body holds on to a ton of fluid. When I get the proper amount of sleep the fluid releases.
  • reflectionofme
    reflectionofme Posts: 310 Member
    Challenge Starting Weight ~ 201.5
    Challenge Goal Weight ~ 161.5

November 20, 2018 ~ 201.5
    11/26
    December 4
    12/11
    12/18
    12/25
    January 1, 2019
    1/8
    1/15
    1/22
    1/29
    February 5
    2/12
    2/19
    2/26
    March 5
    3/12
    3/19
    March 20, 2019 (last update)~
  • deepwoodslady
    edited November 2018
    @deepwoodslady, I know for me, when I don't get enough sleep, I used to crave starchy carb foods. Now I don't crave those foods as much for that reason, but my body holds on to a ton of fluid. When I get the proper amount of sleep the fluid releases.

That explains the horrible cravings. Especially lately. However, I am proud to say I had a good day today in regards to my food plan. I had to reign it in because of yesterday's carby dinner and dessert. So my cravings have been double trouble today as that always happens after a large meal of carbs. Cravings....cravings....cravings.... And Hunger....hunger....hunger. But I'm pushing through it and sipping on the parsley lemon water. Tonight I am making a pitcher and including the cucumber as well, for the triple threat :wink:
    It is interesting also that you mention guzzling your water late to try to get it in for the day. I do that every....single....day. And, of course, I am up all night shedding it. When I stay up extra late just for TV, I feel like I deserve to do more than just work all the time, and honestly, a little late night TV is all I get. It is because I work at home running a motel and cabins where I have to greet people until the bars close, yet be up early for the early check-outs. I also own another small one in northern michigan and do a lot of office work for that business too. I am at my desk all day if I am not out cleaning cabins. I am a jack-of-all-trades which is vital to such small businesses. I just cannot wait to retire and have some time to myself and more time for my family! However, I am glad you mentioned the late night water. It probably seems obvious, but when it's been your habit for years you just don't think about it's effects. I think I chalked up my late night potty visits to my diabetes and not to the water bottle by my bed! I am going to make a firm goal of spreading my water out more evenly during the day to help my sleep quality.
  • tiabirdie56
    edited November 2018
    Welcome to the challenge @reflectionofme ! I see that you're approaching Onederland. Good luck! I hope you reach it before December!

Yes sleep challenge. Go to sleep Tish!
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,792 Member
    edited November 2018
    1/20 - I got 6 hrs and 45 mins sleep last night, woot hoot, that’s about normal for me. I’ll call that a win for me, sometimes I’ll only get around barely over 5, :(
    1/21 - I got 7 hrs and 58 mins, I got to bed early and was able to sleep past 6 am, πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ
    1/22 - I got 8 hrs and 3 mins, woot hoot! Happy Turkey Day, :)<3:)
    1/23 - 8 hrs and 35 mins, I’m back in my own bed, :)

@tiabirdie56, thanks I think this challenge is helping, I haven’t woke up at 1am, shhhhhhhhh, crossing my fingers, πŸŽ‰πŸŽŠπŸŽˆ
  • akj_25
    akj_25 Posts: 244 Member
    i need to get myself more accountable so i am joining this challenge. My name is Lisa.
    i work 12 hour nights -- 3 nights in a row then back to daywalker schedule on my days off. so sleep challenge is a struggle for me, i average 5-6 hours of sleep after a shift, my first shift on i am typically up for 24 hours because i wake up with the kid the morning before shift, and days off i sleep good 8+ hours.
    i have recently started to incorporate more strength training, i feel good doing this but find it frustrating at the same time because i have gained weight while eating less. i get muscle weight but come on a smaller number would help the motivation.

Challenge Starting Weight ~ 195.7
    Challenge Goal Weight ~ 180.0

November 23, 2018 ~ 195.7
    11/26
    December 4
    12/11
    12/18
    12/25
    January 1, 2019
    1/8
    1/15
    1/22
    1/29
    February 5
    2/12
    2/19
    2/26
    March 5
    3/12
    3/19
  • oshanna2018
    oshanna2018 Posts: 3 Member
    I hope I’m not to late but i want to join this challenge
  • oshanna2018
    oshanna2018 Posts: 3 Member

My name is Shay I’m a little late and I’m new to fitness pal
    Challenge Starting Weight ~
    Challenge Goal Weight
    November 24, 2018 ~176.6
    11/26
    December 4
    12/11
    12/18
    12/25
    January 1, 2019
    1/8
    1/15
    1/22
    1/29
    February 5
    2/12
    2/19
    2/26
    March 5
    3/12
    3/19

• tiabirdie56
    edited November 2018
    10h! - Tuesday (8:30pm) Don't know why I was so sleepy, but obviously needed the rest.
    7h - Wednesday (1am)
    9h - Thursday (10:30pm)
    6h30m ~ Friday 11/23 (11:40pm)

• tiabirdie56
    Welcome! @akj_25, Lisa and @oshanna2018, Shay.

I'll post more this evening
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Favorited this thread to join in either next week or following my current seasonal challenge. Saw lots of familiar handles and it looks like a great place to learn and share. Thanks, Tish!