• TomatoeLady
    TomatoeLady Posts: 24 Member
    TomatoeLady
    Nov week 3
    PW 163
    CW 163
  • dommylifts
    dommylifts Posts: 96 Member
    Does anyone eat back the calories burned through exercise? Today my watch says I burned over 400 calories (I hiked and went to the gym) through over 10000 steps, etc. just curious how you all treat your calories burned. I think I’m going to input it, but not eat them back.s63d2atwx20z.jpeg
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    edited November 2018
    Rocknut53
    Nov. Week 3
    PW: 146.6
    CW: 147

I'm beginning to think this is an exercise in futility. Sorry I'm not more helpful to the team. I'm feeling thankful to just be able to maintain with all that's going on in my life.
  • Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    November 24
    Exercised. Yes
    Calories. No
    Tracked. Yes
  • Rocknut53
    @dommylifts Even though MFP tells you to eat back your exercise calories because those are figured into the formula for you calorie intake, I don't eat them all. The recommendation is 50%. Calorie burn and intake is just an estimate at best. If you are losing at the rate you have set up you're doing fine. Losing too fast? It's safe to eat a few more of those exercise calories back. MapMyHike gives me a ridiculous amount of calories (2000+) for my hikes. I typically hike 4 to 4.5 miles with an elevation gain of 1600+ feet, carrying a 15-20 pound pack depending on how much water I have to pack for the dogs or how much gear because I hike in the winter as well as summer. It could burn that many calories, but I doubt it so only eat back a third or so. Play with those numbers, treat it like a science experiment!
  • dommylifts
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    @dommylifts Even though MFP tells you to eat back your exercise calories because those are figured into the formula for you calorie intake, I don't eat them all. The recommendation is 50%. Calorie burn and intake is just an estimate at best. If you are losing at the rate you have set up you're doing fine. Losing too fast? It's safe to eat a few more of those exercise calories back. MapMyHike gives me a ridiculous amount of calories (2000+) for my hikes. I typically hike 4 to 4.5 miles with an elevation gain of 1600+ feet, carrying a 15-20 pound pack depending on how much water I have to pack for the dogs or how much gear because I hike in the winter as well as summer. It could burn that many calories, but I doubt it so only eat back a third or so. Play with those numbers, treat it like a science experiment!

I turned off the MFP step tracker and the exercise trackers as I also felt they were incredibly inaccurate. I now track on my fitness watch, which I’m able to wear all the time to track steps.
    I’ve been not eating them back mainly due to fear of exactly what you said - inaccuracies. I track and weigh everything and I know even that has discrepancies. I want everything to be as accurate as possible.
  • Rocknut53
    dommylifts wrote: »

I turned off the MFP step tracker and the exercise trackers as I also felt they were incredibly inaccurate. I now track on my fitness watch, which I’m able to wear all the time to track steps.
    I’ve been not eating them back mainly due to fear of exactly what you said - inaccuracies. I track and weigh everything and I know even that has discrepancies. I want everything to be as accurate as possible.

Here's a calorie tracker to play with: http://calorielab.com/burned
    You don't want to under-fuel your body, it will catch up with you in terms of not feeling real good plus a multitude of other issues. If you're feeling energetic and not tired, you're probably doing fine. If you are doing strenuous prolonged exercise you should eat back some of those calories. I've never used a fitness tracker other than my phone. It gives me steps, but I don't carry it with me 24/7 so I just have to estimate.
  • LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    dommylifts wrote: »
    Does anyone eat back the calories burned through exercise? Today my watch says I burned over 400 calories (I hiked and went to the gym) through over 10000 steps, etc. just curious how you all treat your calories burned. I think I’m going to input it, but not eat them back.

That's what I do. I figure the exercise trackers aren't perfect, and my logging's not perfect, so better to err on the side of caution, right?

• LesIckaBod
    Rocknut53
    Nov. Week 3
    PW: 146.6
    CW: 147

I'm beginning to think this is an exercise in futility. Sorry I'm not more helpful to the team. I'm feeling thankful to just be able to maintain with all that's going on in my life.

@Rocknut53 Tell me about it -- I can't seem to shake my mid-160s, and it's definitely not because I'm in a real plateau, just a mental one. Still, I'm glad to have this community, so thank you for staying and being a part of it.
  • LesIckaBod
    Just a quick reminder for our Saturday weighers:

@auntdeb37
    @beachbunnydana
    @emmclean
    @ShareASmile

• emmclean
    emmclean Posts: 297 Member
    Username: emmclean
    Weigh in day: Saturday
    Weigh in week: 2
    Weight last week: 188.4
    Weight this week: 185.4

Kept up the running this week and it's paying off! Been a tough week at work so it's helped me feel in control of something. Hope everyone is having a good week!
  • auntdeb37
    auntdeb37 Posts: 32 Member
    Username: auntdeb37
    Weigh in Week: 2
    Weigh in Day: Saturday
    Previous weight: 279.2
    Today's weight: 280.8

My body is adjusting to new medication. Still have some body swelling. I weighed myself Thursday morning just to see where I was 289. I'm not letting this number define my hard work, however I'm sorry my number didn't have a positive contribute to the overall team score.
    Keep up the great work everyone!
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    And it's getting hotter. Officially a heatwave. 41/105 degrees today. Air con is on at 10am. We don't have much air con stuff in town for two toddlers. Been to the small shopping centre yesterday. Very tempted to go to the McDonald's with air con in the kids playground soon.
  • Rocknut53
    @12Sarah2015 This will help you cool down: 4pz1d6telwg5.jpg
  • dommylifts
    November 24
    Exercised: Yes.
    Calories: No.
    Tracked: Yes.

I’ve been incredibly disappointed with my lack of discipline with food in social situations. I eat like garbage. I’ve been close to 2000 calories almost every day this week and I know the scale tomorrow will show it.
  • auntdeb37
    auntdeb37 Posts: 32 Member
    November 24
    Exercised: Yes
    Calories: Yes
    Tracked: Yes
  • Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    November 25
    Exercised. No
    Calories. No
    Tracked Yes
    It's been a stressful few days moving my mother into a nursing home. She's had so much going on this year. A heart attack and a hip fracture and now dementia. I hope to pull it together and get back in control tomorrow.
  • dommylifts
    Username: Dommylifts
    Weigh in Week: 3
    Weigh in Day: Sunday
    Previous weight: 149.8
    Today's weight: 150.2

I half expected to put on weight this week from my diet and weightlifting. I may start tracking my inches because I am losing, even if the scale is moving up! I’m proud of my exercise progress and I wish it showed in the scale this week, but I can’t deny how incredible I feel and how much fun I am having as a member of this challenge!

Happy health journey this week everyone!!

5kzfb8w48u99.png
  • cjscoey
    cjscoey Posts: 57 Member
    edited November 2018
    Username: cjscoey
    Weigh in Week: 2
    Weigh in Day: Friday
    Previous weight: 167.6
    Today's weight: 167.6

Sorry for the late weigh in I was away for the holiday!
  • LesIckaBod
    Happy Sunday, Everyone! We've got the Week 3 results, and some Gutbusters have done very well for us this week!

The Biggest Loser Is...
    1st - @Dommylifts. - 3.10%

The TEAM Biggest Loser...
    1st - Gutbusters. - 0.55%

Top 3 Individual % by Team

Gutbusters
    1st - @Dommylifts. - 3.10%
    2nd - @Grebber1. - 1.60%
    3rd - @WishfulThinning18. - 1.59%

Individual Top 3 Pounds Lost
    1st - @Grebber1. - 5.0 lbs.
    2nd - @Dommylifts. - 4.8 lbs.