Blood glucose monitors

Started out with a Precision Xtra and had consistently high fasting numbers (140+). Bought a Contour next EZ and getting readings of 115+/-.

Anybody else have issues with their Precision Xtra? Now I wonder how off it was on the ketone numbers. How could they put such an inferior product out on the market like that?

Replies

• DW1Texas
    DW1Texas Posts: 131 Member
    Thinking about purchasing a unit. How often do you measure? Assuming daily? mornings?
  • fdhunt1
    fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
    I currently measure first thing in the morning (fasted) and then 2 hours after I eat breakfast to see if I was sensitive to what I ate. I am not a true diagnosed diabetic but concerned enough to monitor and try and reduce my blood sugar numbers.
  • margbarco
    margbarco Posts: 128 Member
    I was told by my daughter’s diabetic nurse that different models/brands of glucose meters can differ up to 30 points! I never researched this so I don’t know if it’s true, but it might explain the difference in your numbers upon switching.
  • ssbbg
    ssbbg Posts: 153 Member
    fdhunt1 wrote: »
    How could they put such an inferior product out on the market like that?

Because all meters are like that? The accuracy of blood glucose meters isn't great. (I suspect the variability comes from the test strips, not the meter, 'cause the meter tech is pretty simple.)

Read the booklet that came with your test strips or meter and it will have some data about both the accuracy (how close it is to the true value) and the repeatability (how likely you are to get the same number if you test the same sample.). These numbers change in different blood sugar ranges, but tend to be best at normal or high normal. Best could still be off by 10-15% though. That's the reason all the instructions say retest if the results don't match how you feel- accuracy isn't great especially if you are in very high or very low part if the range.

Comparing data between meters is generally not recommended (as mentioned by another poster for the reason they mentioned). Pick a meter and watch the trends- that is where the value of the meter is.

Also, why are you so sure the meter giving you 140 is wrong and the meter giving you 115 is right? In fact, both could be wrong, and your fasting glucose might actually be, for example, 127. (I picked that number because it is the average of the two numbers you provided- that value would make both meters equally wrong.)
  • VickiZei
    VickiZei Posts: 32 Member
    All BG monitors have a +/- percentage that is reported in their product info if you dig deep enough. The ones I’ve checked into are +/- 10%-20%. That’s a lot if your expecting complete accuracy. The best thing is to keep track and look at your averages over time.