16:8 Fasting

Options
I've been at a plateau for about 6 months. I've thought about trying the 16:8 intermediate Fasting. Anyone had any success with breaking a plateau with this or experienced weight loss? I'm at my last 20lbs and I'm getting very frustrated. Thank you!

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    IF can be helpful if it helps you stick to your calorie goals, but there’s nothing else about it which will cause you to lose weight faster or break a plateau. It all comes down to calories - what time you eat them is irrelevant.
  • Candikickbutt
    Candikickbutt Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • Candikickbutt
    Candikickbutt Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I got 2 friends requests from this posts and accidentally deleted them, 😢
  • kariemi
    kariemi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm using intermittent fasting (16/8 and 18/6) and i lost about 13 kilograms in short time
    But you should also have a look on
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10705243/im-stuck-in-plateau/p1
  • lauridabbieri
    lauridabbieri Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I’m doing a 16-8 IF now and love it. I keep to 1200 calories a day and have lost 11 pounds in 21 days.
  • foxtrot1965
    foxtrot1965 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am just starting out who IF! Very excited.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I have done 16:8 and 18:6 for the last 3 decades+. I was doing it before I knew it even had a name for it. its still about the caloires. I have lost weight,gained weight and maintained weight doing it. you still have to eat the calories MFP gives you in that window of time. too little calories which can happen for some doing IF is not the way to go so make sure you are getting your calories in.

workouts have nothing to do with weight loss(calorie deficits do) or breaking through a plateau(which is 6-8 weeks without a loss or gain) carb intake also has NOTHING to do with anything either when it comes to plateaus(unless whatever you are eating is putting you into maintenance calories which can also happen if you eat too much fat or protein). I didnt lose any faster fasting than I did when I didnt for a short time
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I discourage fasting as it often creates more problems than benefits. I would first look at the carb intake, the net calories and their sources and adjust from there.
    First question. Is your weight within a normal healthy range? If so you might have reached your new normal.

Are you exercising at least 30 min every other day?
    If so, what is your exercise routine and how long have you been on it? The best way to break a plateau is changing up your routine. If you are doing mostly aerobic and cardio I would suggest adding resistance or weight training to develop more muscle mass. If its all resistance and strength training cut back and add more aerobic and cardio.

On the flip side of that coin is how aggressively are you working out? If you are working out daily, and aggressively
    a break may be required. Take a week off the regular workout routine but keep yourself up by walking and stretching then start back in.

and what problems does it cause? Ive been doing it more than 3 decades and it hasnt caused me anymore issues than I already had that are genetic.carb intake has nothing to do with NOT losing weight. I eat a lot of carbs always have always will and still lost weight. even going low carb didnt make any dang difference in weigt loss.where calories come from also make no difference for weight loss.for nutrition they do but thats not whats being discussed.