Gym shoes!

My Asics gym shoes are dying: I have lifting shoes and deadlift slippers, but I need a good basic pair of trainers for accessory work / cardio. I hate padded trainers and prefer low profile ones: going to have to buy online as I live in a rural area. Interested in what gym goers / strength athletes wear, and recommendations or ones to avoid!

Replies

• Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    I like Nike Frees, even though they are technically running shoes, they don't have a ton of extra padding.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    I am mostly a cardio guy and I strongly concur with the idea of running shoes. I wear some Saucony shoes I used to run in at the gym. I also own a pair of Nike Run Swift shoes that I don't use in the gym only because they are my favorite shoes that I wear with jeans or whatever; they make some that are black with charcoal swoosh and soles that look really fashionable for running shoes). Running shoes are light and durable - normal use includes soaking them with sweat, puddles and/or rain without stopping. They generally come with laces that don't slip easily. There are valid reasons they can be pricey. Some runners get several hundred miles or more and throw them out because the soles are smooth but the uppers are still completely intact.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,325 Member
    I’ll have a look at running shoes, thanks. I do have some good cross country shoes but I’ve steered clear of normal running shoes in the past as they seemed too padded (years of bare-foot martial arts means I tend to turn my ankle over in thick soled trainers!).
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    I have Rebook Crossfits and love em.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited November 2018
    Adidas sambas for squatting/leg day (have zero rise with a thick, wide sole - a good base for planting the feet into the ground). Hold up very well & can take a beating (I'm only on my 2nd pair over about 7 years). Not as good as lifting shoes with rise (but I'm not really into powerlifting & find the sambas good enough & stylish). My favorite shoes for soccer (esp. indoors)
    ptnzpbzdc2df.png

New Balance X200 minimus - minimalist shoes with vibram soles (like tire tread) but look like normal, stylist shoes (huge plus for not being labeled as a hipster doofus toe-shoe wearer). These are perfect for cardio & are not clunky whatsoever
    hmi79rptuf0c.png

Would never use running shoes while weight lifting (esp. squatting - like trying to squat on an old spring mattress)
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Squat and deadlift barefoot, other than that I just wear running shoes
  • MichaelK1007
    MichaelK1007 Posts: 136 Member
    Adidas Ultraboost. That’s what I use for cardio except for sprints. Chucks for lifting.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    CowboySar wrote: »
    I have Rebook Crossfits and love em.

I bought some as well from Rogue Fitness and those shoes are excellent for all lifts, cardio, etc. Great all-around shoe.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,325 Member
    Thanks everyone! I’ve bought some Reebok zoku ultraknit runners. V lightweight, in the sale and pink (sorry). Haven’t tried them yet as I’ve been wearing my lifters but fingers crossed they’ll be comfy 🤗
  • jamesjeffsmith
    jamesjeffsmith Posts: 34 Member
    New Balance with real rubber soles. google new balance overstock. i pay around $50 or half price shipped. not lesser quality at all