2019 Walk it off Challenge

jm216
jm216 Posts: 3,721 Member
If you’re like me, walking is your favorite form of exercise! Here you can walk off stress, walk off calories, and walk yourself into a better mood.

There are some really great videos on YouTube if you can’t get outside, but nothing really beats being outside in the fresh air.

Write down your personal goals, post as often as you’d like, and come walk with me!

The challenge begins now!

Jill

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,702 Member
    I'm a walker, too, and it definitely benefits me as much mentally as it does physically (as long as I can be outside). Treadmill walks have become torture for me and I avoid them if at all possible. If I must do indoor cardio then I switch to the elliptical.

Per the other thread on this board, I signed up for the Run the Year 2019 challenge. It's for runners, walkers, cyclists, etc. You may want to check it out. So far I'm liking their tracker and it syncs easily with Strava, which is what I use to track my walks.
  • jm216
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I'm a walker, too, and it definitely benefits me as much mentally as it does physically (as long as I can be outside). Treadmill walks have become torture for me and I avoid them if at all possible. If I must do indoor cardio then I switch to the elliptical.

Per the other thread on this board, I signed up for the Run the Year 2019 challenge. It's for runners, walkers, cyclists, etc. You may want to check it out. So far I'm liking their tracker and it syncs easily with Strava, which is what I use to track my walks.

Thanks BZAH10 I’ll have to check out that thread!
  • jm216
    One of my goals is to walk to pretty places and then to sleep there. I haven't decided which places yet though, but generally they'll be alpine meadows.

You’ll have to share your pictures! What a great idea. <3
  • Love_2_Hike
    Love_2_Hike Posts: 103 Member
    I love walking. It get a bit boring in the suburbs pounding the concrete foot path. I’m walking 4km in 45min x 4 per week.
    Next year I want to hike a little more too .
  • MrWeather_81
    MrWeather_81 Posts: 82 Member
    Thankyou for this.

Count me in.
  • MrWeather_81
    jm216 wrote: »
    If you’re like me, walking is your favorite form of exercise! Here you can walk off stress, walk off calories, and walk yourself into a better mood.

There are some really great videos on YouTube if you can’t get outside, but nothing really beats being outside in the fresh air.

Write down your personal goals, post as often as you’d like, and come walk with me!

The challenge begins now!

Jill

Thankyou Jill for beginning this forum for 2019.
  • MrWeather_81
    Can I ask some advice from all you walkers and hikers.

I suffer from really painfull calf muscles when I walk.

How can I stop this?
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,702 Member

How can I stop this?

How often do you walk? How far do you go? First and foremost, make sure you have well-fitting shoes.

If your calves hurt while you walk maybe you need to walk a little distance to warm up and then do some calf stretches. Or is it cramping? If so, more hydration is usually helpful.
  • MrWeather_81

How can I stop this?

How often do you walk? How far do you go? First and foremost, make sure you have well-fitting shoes.

If your calves hurt while you walk maybe you need to walk a little distance to warm up and then do some calf stretches. Or is it cramping? If so, more hydration is usually helpful.

Was completing daily walks 3 to 4 mile approx a year ago. Doing really well.
    Although did stop. And now I am back to were I was before but a bit worse pains when I walk.

I was walking to shops on 3 weeks ago, I took excursiating pain and cramps. Was near in tears to be honest.

And it was only a short distance.
  • jm216

How can I stop this?

Was completing daily walks 3 to 4 mile approx a year ago. Doing really well.
    Although did stop. And now I am back to were I was before but a bit worse pains when I walk.

I was walking to shops on 3 weeks ago, I took excursiating pain and cramps. Was near in tears to be honest.

And it was only a short distance.

Have you talked to your doctor about it?
  • MrWeather_81
    No. Suppose probably best idea Jill.

Lol
  • jm216
    This quote pretty much sums up this thread.
  • jm216
    Another good day!
    I went over my calories, but I’m logging. That’s why I started this in November instead of Late December, so I can iron out the wrinkles.

Got the outside Christmas lights up, picked up my groceries, made a bunch of phone calls now I feel good about going back to work tomorrow.

Have a great night! ⭐️
  • jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    jm216 wrote: »
    Ok... confession time. After I finished logging yesterday, I munched on crackers. Lesson learned... get out of the kitchen...THEN finish logging out of snack range. All in all a great day yesterday.

Today’s YouTube workout was amazing! It was an 80’s music dance/walking workout.
    This will be on my favorites list. 15 minutes and done.

Happy Wednesday!

https://youtu.be/_7lMJX5D1gk

Holy crap, I think I'm way to uncoordinated for that! :blush: