What are your favourite, unexpectedly low calorie comfort foods?

Replies

• Jadesfire93
    Jadesfire93 Posts: 92 Member
    Another one for pickles! Ice cold dill pickles are the best!!

I'm eating cottage cheese with cinnamon and a little left over graham cracker crumbs at the moment (because I ran out of pickles), trying to convince myself it's "cheese cake." Yeah, that's not working. I've got the protein cheese cake recipe from this site bookmarked. I need to make time to try it out.
    And I like the idea of the chick peas. That sounds tasty.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    To feel like im eating a lot, i like melba toasts work sliced tomatoes, a sprinkle of feta, and either a bit of honey mustard or low cal Italian dressing. You can have 5 toasts which fill a whole plate for a pretty low cal count. Also it's quite crunchy which helps my snacking craving.
  • akh9486
    akh9486 Posts: 11 Member
    So I have been making my own turmeric latte at home that is replacing my hog chocolate. I mix vanilla almond milk, stevia, turmeric, and pumpkin pie spice. It is the best!
  • KungfuPandin
    KungfuPandin Posts: 90 Member
    Love these ideas! Stealing them..
    I have been into the chia pudding recently, I make it myself with almond milk cocao powder and stevia. I'm a vegan. I would eat dairy but it makes me sick.. fairly sever dairy intollerance going on.
    Most days I have a vegan protein shake with blue berries. Love hummus and vegetables.. isn't hummus a food group 🤣, roasted or steamed edemae or roasted chick peas with curry powder.. Love sour kraut with salads and roasted veg. Chocolate Sorbet is heaven... Oven baked curried potatoes with gravy is yum. Vege chips company makes a low calorie vegan chips perfectly portioned. And table of plenty dark choc rice crackers are yummy. Also vegetable soup makes a good snack if I can be bothered to make it in advance.
    I love crispy norri and snack on marinated tofu and falafel with hummus.
  • sportynad9
    sportynad9 Posts: 17 Member
    Breyers is much nicer than halo top

Thanks very much, I will totally give this a try :)
  • sportynad9
    The high-protein, low-fat cheesecake recipe lifted from this site and I also like cottage cheese sprinkled with cinnamon. Basically, anything with cheese is comfort food to me!

This sounds absolutely amazing! If you ever find this recipe on here again, please let me know :) Would love to give this a try!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    A pot of brewing chocolate with Fairlife milk. Comes in at 120 calories in the quantities I use. I have it with Jordan's salted caramel skinny syrup.

Roasted winter squash.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited November 2018
    sportynad9 wrote: »
    The high-protein, low-fat cheesecake recipe lifted from this site and I also like cottage cheese sprinkled with cinnamon. Basically, anything with cheese is comfort food to me!

This sounds absolutely amazing! If you ever find this recipe on here again, please let me know :) Would love to give this a try!

Here's the thread with the recipe:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10500016/low-calorie-protein-cheesecake/p1

There are also tons of protein recipes on this site, including cheesecakes. I really like some of the quick microwave cookies.

https://theproteinchef.co/healthy-recipes/

Note: Not all of these are necessarily low calorie since some of them are geared to body building. Some are, though. Some are low fat, some are high fat because they're for keto. There's something for everyone.

Edit: I always used Quest protein powders with his recipes, you don't need to use his protein powder.

• sportynad9
    sportynad9 wrote: »

Here's the thread with the recipe:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10500016/low-calorie-protein-cheesecake/p1

There are also tons of protein recipes on this site, including cheesecakes. I really like some of the quick microwave cookies.

https://theproteinchef.co/healthy-recipes/

Note: Not all of these are necessarily low calorie since some of them are geared to body building. Some are, though. Some are low fat, some are high fat because they're for keto. There's something for everyone.

Edit: I always used Quest protein powders with his recipes, you don't need to use his protein powder.

Thanks so much, it looks incredible :)
  • scribblemoma
    scribblemoma Posts: 115 Member
    Some of my favorites are:

- Elk jerky (habanero flavored)
    - Cottage cheese with sugar free jelly
    - Boom chicka pop
    - Sharp cheddar cheese
    - Dill pickle spread with cream cheese and wrapped in corned beef (we call it cowboy sushi)
    - Greek yogurt + protein powder
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Some of my favorites are:

- Elk jerky (habanero flavored)
    - Cottage cheese with sugar free jelly
    - Boom chicka pop
    - Sharp cheddar cheese
    - Dill pickle spread with cream cheese and wrapped in corned beef (we call it cowboy sushi)
    - Greek yogurt + protein powder

Elk jerky is the BEST! I wish I could get my hands on some more frequently, but very few elk in Texas. :P I make turkey jerky chips by buying thinly sliced preservative and nitrate free turkey lunchmeat and giving it a quick swipe through some teriyaki. Dehydrate for about 10hrs and you have crunchy, almost bacon like chips.

I'm also a fan of pickled veggies. Sometimes for lunch I'll chop up some lunch meat and mix with pickled okra, pickled mushrooms, pickled heart of palm and eat it like a salad.

I snack on ranch flavored sunflower seeds at work a lot. One serving can last most of the day and is only 190 calories.

Berries is another good low calorie snack.

Light string cheese.

Cheese crisps

I picked up a recipe on here for something called GLOP (great loads of protein). It sounds and looks terrible, but is actually delicious. Brown 98% lean turkey and mix with salsa and cottage cheese. I eat it like a dip with tortilla chips.

• karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    I love to slice up a cucumber and onion, and drizzle it with vinegar/salt/pepper. Huge portion for low calories, and tasty.
  • kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    sheloves89 wrote: »
    Popcorn. =) I air-pop it, spritz it with a quick blast of olive oil, then mix it with nutritional yeast and dried dill... delicious!

I hear you on the protein issue (also a veggie). I have a protein shake that I can't live without, anymore. They sell it at Aldi's, it's called Elevation and it comes in Vanilla or Chocolate; I stick to Vanilla. 2 scoops + 1/2 cup almond milk + a handful of ice cubes blended and it's amazing - rich and thick and creamy, it's almost a milkshake! It's about 180 calories so I don't know if I'd classify it as a snack, but it's got 30 grams of protein. On days when I have my shake, I find myself battling cravings of any sort far less frequently!

@sheloves89 I just started using the Chocolate Elevation Protein Powder and I absolutely love it I use it as a meal replacement after the gym in the morning because I am not a big morning eater haha but I do 6 ice cubes 1 banana 1 cup almond milk and 2 scoops of powder blend it up and it's my perfect morning milkshake and keeps me full until lunch time.
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Cacao Shell Tea. Even with adding a little sweetener and milk it's far better than Hot Chocolate, yet you get that chocolatey taste. Again not exactly the same, but satisfying to me.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Cacao Shell Tea. Even with adding a little sweetener and milk it's far better than Hot Chocolate, yet you get that chocolatey taste. Again not exactly the same, but satisfying to me.

You've mentioned that before, and since I'm a fan of brewing chocolate, I'm thinking I might be a fan of this tea. I need to find it somehow. Off to google!
  • ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    Pickles and fruit. I always keep a jar of pickles and some fruit salad around.
  • MrSunshinez
    MrSunshinez Posts: 573 Member
    For a treat when there's no snacks in the house, I like to make a bowl of protein pudding and raspberries. Basically, I mix two servings (4 scoops) of Chocolate Muscle Milk powder, add just a bit of ice cold water to make it like a pudding consistency and add raspberries.
  • meganmoore112
    meganmoore112 Posts: 174 Member

Where do you buy this? I'd love to try it!
  • Stationagentjules
    Stationagentjules Posts: 57 Member
    Sugar free Werthers caramels
    Sauerkraut
    Coffee
    Tuna
    Also a fan of plain yogurt with fruit and vanilla extract
  • sarahlouryan95
    sarahlouryan95 Posts: 11 Member
    edited November 2018
    Toasted coconut chips are my all time fave - so moreish! Dates also, since I have a ridiculous sweet tooth and they fill me up and help relieve my sugary cravings!