How to lose weight when life is crazy stressful?

Okay so I’ve started my healthy life journey in June. I’ve lost just about shy of 20 pounds!
I still have another 20-35 pounds to go!
I’ve recently started incorporating working out 5 days a week for about 25 minutes.
I’m here because my life this year has been incredibly stressful. I’m talking about so much stress that it’s causing depression & anxiety.
I am really tying my best to focus on myself and improve myself. Make time for me.
But with kids & work and life I find this incredibly hard.
Today is one of those days where my anxiety is so bad I can’t relax but I have zero energy. Working out is the last thing I want to do. I’m just in a funk.
I use to turn to food to help me but now I’m trying to beat that.
I just wanna feel better and be in a better head space.
I feel like losing weight while being depressed or having anxiety is my biggest struggle..

Replies

• MeganReid1991
    MeganReid1991 Posts: 170 Member
    Totally not working out to lose weight, I’m working out to tone and become stronger and because it does help with my anxiety sometimes
  • MeganReid1991
    My anxiety can make me either not want to eat all day or eat everything. It’s a mental fight everyday
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    My anxiety can make me either not want to eat all day or eat everything. It’s a mental fight everyday

THIS. I'm the same way. Right now I'm in "eat everything in sight" mode.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    I find that going for a run or brisk walk eases my depression. I may not want to go out the door, but once I have gone a mile or two, I feel so much better it's easy to continue. Because I know the beneficial effects of exercise and how sad I feel when I don't get any exercise, I make myself go out regardless of my mood. If the weather is awful, I have a TM. It's not as effective as running outdoors, but it does help.
  • nancym30
    nancym30 Posts: 27 Member

Many hugs to you and pats on the back for all you are doing. Hang in! For me, committing to doing just one thing for me that is pleasurable every day, has helped me in tough times. My list includes going outside, a cup of tea, a call to a friend, candles, cleaning up a space in my house. and remembering to breath.
    I'm also having good success with using habit tracking so that I can see my progress in tiny steps. There are lots of images online re bullet journalling habit tracker. Hugs to you!
  • MeganReid1991
    Thanks everyone. I am trying to look at my calories all week vs just one day and that does seem to helping.
    Also I’m going to make two big salads today so I have something easy and healthy to grab.
    Going to work out today and not worry to much about my missed day yesterday.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Add yoga. It's a great way to get out of your own head. I do my regular HIIT workout 3 times a week but also yoga 2-3 days a week. It's exercise but at a completely different pace and focus. Plus it will help you learn stretches to do at home when you need a quick 10 minute reset.
  • stoneagedays
    stoneagedays Posts: 2 Member
    I have also suffered from severe anxiety, and I find what helps me in times of funk where you have zero energy, is to just stretch. Stretching is good for the muscles and if done correctly it won't break that stride of working out. Everyone needs rest days, especially while trying to balance life. Another thing I did is that I got a paper calendar and every day I exercised, I wrote it down. That helped me go "hey, I've been doing really good for a while. I can allow a stretch day."Then on days where I couldn't get up, or get moving, I just took a minute when getting out of bed, or getting off the couch, or walking in the door, to do one or two stretches. Not only does it feel good, but it's good for the body! Hope it helps and that you're feeling good soon, and know that it's okay to take a break every now and then, and that you won't fail or falter as long as it doesn't happen too often. Even just getting into your workout zone for a few minutes a day means you're still working towards your goal!
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Consider yoga or meditation. There are a number of free, mindfulness meditation apps available. I use Calm and Head Space but there are others. I find that after 10 mins of sitting, focussing on myself and shutting out all other thoughts, any stresses can be pushed aside or managed.
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Addressing the anxiety, I found that when I have zero energy but brain won't turn off, I can still do a hobby. For me, the meditation thing just let me brain stew in its own juices and I came out just as anxious as I went in.

Try to find something that you can do with muscle memory, or little thought. For me, I can color or play a mindless video game. Mindless = something you can start while still anxious, because concentration isn't needed to feel success. Without even trying my brain will slowly switch from anxiety thoughts to focus on what I"m doing.

Another thought is to do something with your kids (mentioned in original post). Sure it isn't pure "you time" but the innocent interactions of kids can help you lose the stress of adulthood. Go on a walk with them and listen to them talk about nature around them (or christmas lights at this time of year!). Or just sit with them as they do whatever and ask about their day, or what they are playing, etc. The world through a child's eyes is a lot less stressful, and maybe the magic can rub off on you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    Okay so I’ve started my healthy life journey in June. I’ve lost just about shy of 20 pounds!
    I still have another 20-35 pounds to go!
    I’ve recently started incorporating working out 5 days a week for about 25 minutes.
    I’m here because my life this year has been incredibly stressful. I’m talking about so much stress that it’s causing depression & anxiety.
    I am really tying my best to focus on myself and improve myself. Make time for me.
    But with kids & work and life I find this incredibly hard.
    Today is one of those days where my anxiety is so bad I can’t relax but I have zero energy. Working out is the last thing I want to do. I’m just in a funk.
    I use to turn to food to help me but now I’m trying to beat that.
    I just wanna feel better and be in a better head space.
    I feel like losing weight while being depressed or having anxiety is my biggest struggle..

When I'm "too depressed to exercise", I force myself to exercise.

When I'm super anxious/stressed, I need to exercise myself to exhaustion.

I can't be anxious and practice yoga or meditation - I need to do some exhausting cardio first to clear my mind.

I had work stress this AM, went out in the woods and did trail maintenance for an hour, and feel ever so much better this afternoon.
  • arobey11
    arobey11 Posts: 87 Member
    emmies_123 wrote: »
    Another thought is to do something with your kids (mentioned in original post). Sure it isn't pure "you time" but the innocent interactions of kids can help you lose the stress of adulthood. Go on a walk with them and listen to them talk about nature around them (or christmas lights at this time of year!). Or just sit with them as they do whatever and ask about their day, or what they are playing, etc. The world through a child's eyes is a lot less stressful, and maybe the magic can rub off on you.

I second this. My son and I were taking our dog for walks in the park every evening before the time change and it drastically reduced my anxiety symptoms. I think the exposure to sunlight helped me a lot, too, especially as we get into the winter months - seasonal depression tends to make things worse for me. Unfortunately now that it's dark after work I need to find another way to get that time in but I've been a bit lazy (I do chores during my lunch break and after my son gets on the bus/before I start work in the morning) about getting out during the day - and boy, can I tell the difference.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    arobey11 wrote: »
    emmies_123 wrote: »

I second this. My son and I were taking our dog for walks in the park every evening before the time change and it drastically reduced my anxiety symptoms. I think the exposure to sunlight helped me a lot, too, especially as we get into the winter months - seasonal depression tends to make things worse for me. Unfortunately now that it's dark after work I need to find another way to get that time in but I've been a bit lazy (I do chores during my lunch break and after my son gets on the bus/before I start work in the morning) about getting out during the day - and boy, can I tell the difference.

Do the chores in the dark and walk at lunch :smiley:
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member

As someone who has severe and chronic major depressive disorder and general anxiety (that isn't especially severe) I have two suggestions. 1. try to find a therapist. Therapy is why I'm able to be as functional as I am. 2. If you want to exercise (and mind you, you don't have to to lose weight, but exercising is far from a bad thing), you're going to likely need to push through anxiety (and depression) and do it. I realize that that may sound tortuous, but if you're able to make it a habit it will likely become a lot easier. Note that pushing through it doesn't mean that you have to go full bore - I suggest not doing that actually. Start with a little and build up.