FAQ - Syncing, logging food & exercise, calorie adjustments, activity levels, accuracy

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    barneshall wrote: »
    Hi, I bought fitbit 2 several weeks ago and found it doesnt sync with my Huwaei lite phone, so I sync with my laptop and it works fine.
    However, I need to buy a new phone and intend to buy one that will sync with the Fitbit. Is it possible to sync with both phone and laptop or do I have to choose one only ?

You can do either at any time, those are merely means to get the data off the device and to your Fitbit account.
    It keeps track of time stamps from the device and knows what it's adding to current info.
  • barneshall
    barneshall Posts: 727 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    barneshall wrote: »
    Hi, I bought fitbit 2 several weeks ago and found it doesnt sync with my Huwaei lite phone, so I sync with my laptop and it works fine.
    However, I need to buy a new phone and intend to buy one that will sync with the Fitbit. Is it possible to sync with both phone and laptop or do I have to choose one only ?

You can do either at any time, those are merely means to get the data off the device and to your Fitbit account.
    It keeps track of time stamps from the device and knows what it's adding to current info.

Thank you😁
  • Johnny_Boy76
    Johnny_Boy76 Posts: 8 Member
    When does fitbit actually show up on MFP? I connected to fitbit then synced and nothing shows up in my diary, so I logged out of both and tried again still nothing. An I missing something?
  • heybales
    Your steps should show up.

In the MFP app or website account - you need to set the Setting for Step Source to be Fitbit.
    That means not only steps but calorie info is taken from Fitbit and maths done.

Calories from adjustment only show up under Exercise (FAQ explains what that is though) by default if Fitbit is looking to see you burn more than MFP was told you'd burn anyway - by your selection of Activity Level.

If you enable setting for Negative Calorie Adjustments, then you'll get adjustment even when below that amount.
  • milali
    milali Posts: 17 Member
    So I am really confused by fitbit and MFP integration...

I think I have it working, I did crossfit this morning it wasn't too hectic a workout but it claimed I only expended 224 calories in 45 mins. I thought fair enough it wasn't too hectic a workout (5 min WOD at the end) so let it go, I reinstalled the app and allowed negative adjustments and it then under exercise it added fitbit calorie adjustment of 124.

Which is less than the 224 it recorded, so then I looked at this post about manually adding the training so I manually added the training for the correct start time and set the calorie burn at 224, and then I came back and now has a fitbit calorie adjustment of -99, so I deleted the workout and the adjustment went back to 125.

I am really confused should I be added my workouts at all? or will fitbit auto adjust it? Have I been drastically putting the the wrong values for calorie expenditure for my exercise?
  • heybales
    Reread the first part of the FAQ about what the adjustment is - it's not the workout.

The workout data is already within the total daily burn that comes over to MFP.

Just make a wall post about the workout - unless you just love MFP's exercise diary over Fitbit's own.
    And you should not for many reasons.

MFP adjusts things - Fitbit only sends steps for MFP to display, and calorie burn.
  • milali
    edited November 2018
    Reread the first part of the FAQ about what the adjustment is - it's not the workout.

Just make a wall post about the workout - unless you just love MFP's exercise diary over Fitbit's own.

MFP adjusts things - Fitbit only sends steps for MFP to display, and calorie burn.

I use MFP for my food as its got everything already setup and works so very well with bar code scanners for new things ect ect. So how do I correctly get my exercise to show in MFP? Do I just manually add what Fitbit tells me I expended? Or do I just do nothing and let that fitbit adjustment cover everything I need?

I also enjoy water sports like surfing so when I do that I have been added it in MFP as I can't wear my fitbit doing that. (its a Fitbit Charge HR

Optimally I would like fitbits exercises to show up automatically in MFP. Is that possible?
  • heybales
    milali wrote: »

I use MFP for my food as its got everything already setup and works so very well with bar code scanners for new things ect ect. So how do I correctly get my exercise to show in MFP? Do I just manually add what Fitbit tells me I expended? Or do I just do nothing and let that fitbit adjustment cover everything I need?

I also enjoy water sports like surfing so when I do that I have been added it in MFP as I can't wear my fitbit doing that. (its a Fitbit Charge HR

Optimally I would like fitbits exercises to show up automatically in MFP. Is that possible?

Fitbit does NOT send workouts to MFP.

Why do you want workouts to show up in MFP?

Fitbit uses it's exercise database better than MFP - it's better to add other workouts there.

Really - have you compared the exercise Diary of both apps?
  • milali
    edited November 2018
    Fitbit does NOT send workouts to MFP.

Why do you want workouts to show up in MFP?

Fitbit uses it's exercise database better than MFP - it's better to add other workouts there.

Really - have you compared the exercise Diary of both apps?

I would want the workouts to show in MFP so I have the correct calorie expenditure for the day so I know how much I need to eat to maintain, grow or lose weight based on where I am in my cycles.

Thus why I thought it would auto show the workouts and more importantly the calories it used so I have an accurate amount... or is that what the fitbit tracker calorie adjustment is doing?

how would I add Surfing to fitbit? I looked at the app and it was not apparent how I would do that where as with MFP it just a quick look up, set the time and done.
  • heybales
    edited November 2018
    The calorie adjustment that MFP creates takes care of the workouts AND differences in daily life.

The workout showing up is NOT required.

Add Workout in Fitbit app uses the same database MFP and Fitbit both use.
    So surfing should be there.
  • dmwh142
    dmwh142 Posts: 72 Member
    I have a simple Fitbit Flex 2. Currently I am exercising (walking or swimming) twice each day. The only calorie burn that is being shared to MFP is the most current one. Has anyone else noticed this?
  • heybales
    Most don't notice posts to the FAQ on current issues - usually there is one or likely several topics on whatever issue is going on.

And actually ONLY the most current daily total calorie burn should be shared, it's not additive, it's replacement.
  • TinManJoe
    TinManJoe Posts: 29 Member
    I've recently obtained a Hidrate Spark 2.0 Smart Bottle, and while it works fine in its own app, it doesn't seem to sync with Fitbit - even if I have it "connected" in my account with Hidrate. Has anybody else encountered this, and is there a known fix?
  • heybales
    TinManJoe wrote: »
    I've recently obtained a Hidrate Spark 2.0 Smart Bottle, and while it works fine in its own app, it doesn't seem to sync with Fitbit - even if I have it "connected" in my account with Hidrate. Has anybody else encountered this, and is there a known fix?

refer to the post right before yours. It's a FAQ, not troubleshooting topic.
  • Lsbabus
    Lsbabus Posts: 13 Member
    I have my Versa and MyFitnessPal linked.  On my Versa I track active minutes, usually 60 per day, not a specific activity.  In the MyFitnessPal app diary I track food and exercise - i.e. elliptical 60 minutes 10 calories.  This has worked fine - active minutes, calories burned, all work out and appear on Versa, Fitbit app and MyFitnessPal app.  This works well because I have other apps that sync with MyFitnessPal to give me points etc for my exercise.

The last few days, I do 60 minutes elliptical (2 x 30 with interval in between), the Versa shows 60 active minutes, then I enter the info into My Fitness Pal and the active minutes on the Versa go to 30.  If I delete the exercise from MyFitnessPal the active minutes on the Versa goes back up to 60!

There must have been an change in the two apps.  Does anyone have any ideas to get back to where I was?

Can MyFitnessPal be set just to get info from the Versa and not send info back?  

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • heybales
    Not an app change.
    Fitbit does not send workouts to MFP.

Merely the Total Daily Calories burned that contain your extra activity and your workouts already in the total.

It's why you may show a large Fitbit Adjustment in MFP Exercise Diary, but as soon as you add a workout, the Adjustment goes down by the exact same amount.
    And the workout shows up on Fitbit as a general workout of Calories - no step or distance info.

When that workout syncs over to Fitbit, it replaces any stats that count for the day - because the workout doesn't contain that info.
    All Fitbit knows, is for this chunk of 30 min it had a workout of Time, start time, calories, steps, distance, HR.
    Now a workout synced in with same Time & start time - so the calories was replaced, and the steps/distance/HR no longer count for daily totals because it doesn't know about them in the daily totals anymore.

Now - if you had the device track the activity of that workout (and that's where you got the calorie burn from you manually created on MFP) - Fitbit also created an Activity Record - a snapshot basically of the stats for that chunk of time.
    If you replaced the daily stats - like with the MFP synced (or manually created) workout - the snapshot of stats remains. But it no longer counts towards anything.

People use to manually create workouts with long distances, and combined with a manually tweaked short stride length - would get a calculated ton of steps.
    To cheat on challenges. Yep, to cheat.

So what you see happening prevents that.
    Steps on manually created workouts don't count, steps already there are lost, and if the workout syncs in, info is lost.

But it's always been like that - so either they had a messed up setting for the time you've used it so far and finally got it back to correct after people were found cheating on challenges - or you've been logging workouts with incorrect start/duration and so it didn't replace the time Fitbit had the workout for.

So what your description means is that of the 60 active minutes - 30 were part of that workout, and were removed for consideration since replaced.
    Now you wait a day or two, and that little trick of deleting the workout to get the Fitbit stats to be seen again will fail, as the original data is condensed and per minute data lost.

Or you had 2 workouts on the Fitbit with that break in the middle.
    But on MFP you logged 1 longer workout (only 10 calories - that's wrong too) and so part of the original workout data was replaced - but some remained to count towards the 30 min Active.

You might see if these other accounts that sync to MFP and want to see workouts - could sync directly with Fitbit and receive them from there, then you can stop logging the workouts on MFP.
  • kissmeandmeanit
    kissmeandmeanit Posts: 1 Member
    I'm still fairly confused and I apologize if this is less complicated than I am making it but, if I use my fitbit versa to auto recognize my workouts, they don't pull over to MFP? ....BUT If I start and stop work outs manually on my versa, they will pull over to MFP but display as Fitbit calorie adjustment?

So far MFP will only pull my steps, not my workouts, elliptical, aerobics etc
  • heybales
    I'm still fairly confused and I apologize if this is less complicated than I am making it but, if I use my fitbit versa to auto recognize my workouts, they don't pull over to MFP? ....BUT If I start and stop work outs manually on my versa, they will pull over to MFP but display as Fitbit calorie adjustment?

So far MFP will only pull my steps, not my workouts, elliptical, aerobics etc

Suggest rereading the first section again, some other things you may have missed.

MFP pulls nothing - that would be a security issue if access was allowed into your accounts from other accounts to pull things.

Fitbit pushes - and they opted not to push workouts.

Those Adjustments have nothing to do with how a workout was started for tracking.
    They have nothing specific to do with workouts actually.

Those adjustments are merely the difference between what Fitbit pushed for daily total calorie burn, and what MFP thought you'd burn at your selected activity level and no workouts.

Fitbit could be higher because of a workout, or more active, or likely both, to cause MFP to make that adjustment.
    So you have no way from MFP side to see what of that adjustment was workouts or increased daily activity.
    But MFP is better for the food side of the goals. So doesn't matter.
    Fitbit is better for the activity side of goals - and it will spell out those differences in calorie burn.
  • strength1070
    strength1070 Posts: 6 Member
    tlr?id=288654779227945&ev=PageView&noscript=1&.pngSuggest reading again
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    @heybales and @janejellyroll hoping one of you can assist an old, veteran pal here. I've been AWOL from the forums for a while but still logging on MFP and using FitBit for activity. About a week ago FitBit stopped syncing over to MFP. I also had one day where Map My Walk wouldn't sync either, but it later caught up. I can see the UA adjustment for those days where I hiked on MFP and it passed to FitBit, but still no steps or calorie adjustments coming over from FitBit. I've unsynced and relinked from both my phone (app) and the websites following the instructions here in the OP:

You may still have syncing issues, usually seen as Fitbit stats not coming to MFP (steps, daily calorie burn, weight, BF%), but sometimes MFP stats not going to Fitbit (meal totals, workouts, weight). Usually effects those using the apps more.

One method for getting around syncing issue, is unsync accounts totally from web accounts, and start process above again. Close your mobile apps, stop them from actually running, for this process.
    MFP - Apps - Your Apps section - Fitbit Tracker - Disconnect
    Fitbit - View Settings - Settings - Applications section - Revoke Access
    Start initial sync as instructed above.

Still not seeing anything. Don't know if it takes time for them to start talking to each other or if there's something else going on. Search of recent posts in forums doesn't seem like there's a known defect or common issue (right now). I'm also away from home and not having great WiFi so don't know if there's any contributing factors from that.

Any thoughts?