Whole-of-Life Challenge

Orphia
Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
Sometimes I get a sense in the challenge threads that people are struggling to get by by only managing one aspect of progress in their lives.

Other times, I see familiar faces in multiple threads, and feel there are a lot of us trying to thrive overall.

It’s good to work on making small changes one day at a time.

I’ve found that small changes in one area can lead to changes in many things over time.

Let’s discuss how we’re working on:

Relaxation
Exercise
Alcohol usage
Creativity
Home
Work
Eating in moderation
Learning
Life!

REACHWELL!

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    I like this challenge! Over the past several years I have set and accomplished a lot of goals related to overall health and fitness. Sometimes I feel a little lost without a concrete "measurable" goal, but right now, this is where I am at. I want to manage all aspects of my life for complete well-rounded health and happiness. These past few months I have been working on:

Less alcohol
    Enjoying running and not obsessing about training schedules and race times
    Making a point of learning something new every day
    Spending time helping others

My commitments for the rest of the year include keeping up with the above, as well as:

Daily stretching and/or strengthening
    Cross-training instead of running (particularly swimming)
    Focus on enjoying the things I like about my job (since I have to be there anyway!)
    Improving my concentration
    Eating well
    Doing little thing for myself
    Smiling more!

Thanks for the challenge @Orphia. I plan to check in regularly with anecdotes on how I have worked toward the above. I hope some others join in as well!
  • Orphia
    @lporter229 What an awesome list!!

It inspired me to go for a swim before work instead of a walk today! :)
  • lporter229
    Yesterday I made it to the gym for the first time in ages. I rode the stationary bike for 36 minutes. I'd like to say I enjoyed it, but that would be a lie. I was trying to get a good workout in, but everyone around me was pedaling slowly with their eyes glued to their phones and it wasn't very motivating. I think I will try to schedule a seat in a spin class on Friday. It's easier to get a good workout in on those bikes. I also stretched and foam rolled, which did feel great. At least I feel like I am getting back on track with the whole gym scene.

This morning I made coffee in my French press rather than my more convenient Kuerig because it tastes SO MUCH BETTER. It was also bitter cold when I took the dog for a walk, but we walked longer than what was necessary because at least there was sunshine. Those are two small things that I did for my happiness.

Today I am struggling with the whole work thing. I have a great deal to do and everything seems to be going wrong. I am having a hard time keeping a positive attitude about today. Just trying my best to power through without letting it leave me in a poor mood when I head home.

How was your day?
  • Orphia
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Yesterday I made it to the gym for the first time in ages. I rode the stationary bike for 36 minutes. I'd like to say I enjoyed it, but that would be a lie. I was trying to get a good workout in, but everyone around me was pedaling slowly with their eyes glued to their phones and it wasn't very motivating. I think I will try to schedule a seat in a spin class on Friday. It's easier to get a good workout in on those bikes. I also stretched and foam rolled, which did feel great. At least I feel like I am getting back on track with the whole gym scene.

This morning I made coffee in my French press rather than my more convenient Kuerig because it tastes SO MUCH BETTER. It was also bitter cold when I took the dog for a walk, but we walked longer than what was necessary because at least there was sunshine. Those are two small things that I did for my happiness.

Today I am struggling with the whole work thing. I have a great deal to do and everything seems to be going wrong. I am having a hard time keeping a positive attitude about today. Just trying my best to power through without letting it leave me in a poor mood when I head home.

How was your day?

Spin class always sounds like fun.

I've been drinking decaf coffee for a month and a half, because I love coffee too much and I was feeling ill from it. :smiley: I've also moved to soy or almond milk because they're a different taste and after 50 years of milk I'm a bit sick of it. Food fads are annoying but handy in this case as there are now alternatives to Ye Ole Traditional milk coffee.

Sorry about your work!! Being tired makes it seem even harder! I've had the busiest week at work since the day I ran a bookshop on my own on the day Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire was released. :smiley:

I think my lesson from this week was that I did well by not worrying or panicking, as that would have made things take even longer. I think I managed a no-nonsense approach and also developed my prioritising skills.

It's now Thursday evening, and I don't work now till Monday, so I'm rather relieved. Although I'm going away for the weekend so I hope I get enough rest.

Got a HM on Sunday. Having the week off running. My legs are nearly recovered. It's almost weird to be almost niggle-free!

Best wishes!

• Orphia
    Welcome, @htimpaired ! Nice to read your interesting story.

I'll post the link for the Fabulous app for other readers:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fabulous-motivate-me/id1203637303?mt=8

I manage my daily habits in various ways... Phone reminders; ToDoist app (which I love); a spreadsheet. I'll have to think if I'm doing them optimally. Thanks.
  • Orphia
    November 2018

Goal 1: A 30 km run. 27.7 km + 3.8 km walking. I’m calling it done!
    Goal 2: 2 blog posts. Done!
    Goal 3: No shopping for myself other than food, medical, transport. Spent $2.50 on running scrapbook photo printing.
    Goal 4: Handstands/stretching daily. Done!
    Goal 5: Draw every day. Done!

This also included three Half Marathon events and parkrun every week. Happy with November!
  • Orphia
    December 2018

Goal 1: A 30 km run.
    Goal 2: 2 blog posts.
    Goal 3: Complete 4 week Metabolomics course.
    Goal 4: Handstands/stretching daily.
    Goal 5: Draw daily.
    Goal 6: Duolingo Greek study daily.
    Goal 7: Continue my 10 months alcohol-free.

Dec 02 Carman’s Women’s Half Marathon.
  • lporter229
    edited November 2018
    @htimpaired - Great goals. I also would like to read more. I love reading as well, yet I do less and lees now that I have Netflix and social media at my disposal :/

@Orphia- Excellent!!!

Yesterday's accomplishments seem pretty meager, but I am pleased with them because I know how things could have gone (per past experience) on such a day. It was another crazy day at work, so I am pleased that I:

1. Managed to get home in a decent mood (This took some effort, but that is what this challenge is all about, right?) The advice to not panic or worry helped a lot in that aspect...Thanks!
    2. Despite having to cancel my appointment with my personal trainer for being stuck late at work, I did sneak in a P90X3 pilates workout
    3. Had a nice cup of herbal tea instead of a glass of wine (or, more realistically, half a bottle)
    4. Stayed within my calorie allowance, which has been a struggle for me since I haven't been running

I am planning to go to the gym to swim and stretch after work. Then I am going to make some homemade potato soup for dinner. I have budgeted myself a glass of wine this evening, so my goal will be to only have one glass.

@Orphia- I am very impressed and inspired with your ability to give up alcohol completely. It's probably something I should strive for as well. I am still looking for the right motivation in that regard. I keep feeling that it will present itself when the need arises. I hope I am not just fooling myself.
  • Orphia
    @lporter229 Thank you! I continue to be inspired by your swimming, and went swimming again today. I did 400m, 750m, and 1,000m PBs!!!

That put me in a great mood which lasted through the very busy day.

Haven't been updating in here because I went away for the weekend to do a half marathon event. Had an awesome time.

This week I've got lots of extra duties because I'm Run Director at parkrun on Saturday.

Not much time to post, but maintaining my daily habits.

Doing an awesome new short course on Metabolomics!

I sent you a PM with what I've written about quitting alcohol. Basically, I see not drinking as a treat, a nice thing for yourself, not a punishment.

• znaoiec
    znaoiec Posts: 1,984 Member
    I saw this thread while on the treadmill this morning and thought... wow. This is just what I need. I am at work now but will post more later. Thanks for getting this started!
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    I love seeing people swimming. That is something I need to get back into. I used to swim in high school and had picked it up a few years ago again, but let it drop off.
  • Orphia
    I like running when the temperature is under 10C (50F). Thought I'd better try running in warmer weather now it's Summer here in southern Australia. It was 14C (57F) when I set out at 5:30 for my run. It was 24 (75F) an hour later when I'd finished and went to the pool. It's now 37.4 C (99F) at 4pm and I'm trying to chill out a bit, but it's difficult! :smiley:

As I said, I went to the pool - it was the outdoor 50 metre pool today. Just did 500 metres at a steady pace. Bought myself some new bathers this week, and I really love them!

Also bought a diary I might actually use next year!

My other half and I did a weekly shop at the supermarket, and I got some ginger cordial to have with tonic water and I might also add some fruit juice as something different in the dinner mocktail line I've been having.

Also got some cans of 8 kilojoule, zero sugar, no sweeteners, pineapple and orange sparkling water, and it'sreally nice!
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    I like the sound of this challenge.

1, Alcohol a maximum of two days a week except Christmas week
    2, Run half marathon distance for the first time since my surgery
    3, Log every day not just when I can be bothered
    4. Finish off all the DIY jobs around the house
    5. Keep in touch with family at least once a month

• Orphia

@Runaroundafieldx2 Yay, very happy you've joined us!!

When/what was your surgery?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Inspired by some of the previous posts. Having a nice cup of tea right now! Tomorrow I plan on finishing up my Christmas shopping and then I can chill out for the rest of the holiday season... :)
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Orphia wrote: »

@Runaroundafieldx2 Yay, very happy you've joined us!!

When/what was your surgery?

It was a nasty one almost a year ago on the 20th.
    I had a 20cm tumour thankfully not cancerous but it had crushed and attached my bladder and liver.
    For several months walking was a no no so to be recovered and running again feels amazing.

I normally run 15 miles but this has made me want to see what I can do. Going to start a marathon training program straight after the half on Wednesday.

• znaoiec
    znaoiec Posts: 1,984 Member
    This is a great thread for me. I am in the slow process on trying to create a new normal for myself . I lost weight in 2017 for my son’s wedding and have kept it off. Activities throughout the year took up a lot of time and I was determined to make 2018 about myself and attacking the clutter in my home. At the end of 2017 I fell and broke my shoulder while exercising. It took a lot longer to recover than I expected. And then my mother’s health started declining and I moved her to be closer to me and now find myself being a caretaker to her on top of a full time job. I am having a lot of anxiety these days and am trying to figure out how to take care of myself while struggling with everything else. I find I have little free time anymore and am always behind which makes it challenging. Like Orphia mentioned, I visit various threads on MFP but this one kind of pulls them together into one.

My Goals for Now
    1. UAC Challenge. Daily exercise (walking), logging my food, and staying within maintenance.
    2. Train for April Half Marathon (Walking)
    3. One stretch and/or strength mini workout a week. This seems like such a small goal but if I could manage this, I would be thrilled.
    4. Less Alcohol. Have been inspired by threads here to reduce consumption.
    5. Based on Harvard’s recommendation for brain health and cognitive fitness, I want to try for one plant based recipe a month (I am not a cook so this is a challenging goal)
    6. Also based on Harvard’s recommendation, exercise for the brain not just the body.
    7. Declutter. Maintain surface clutter at a minimum. More in depth if I have time. Have realized that with all the stress in my life that clutter in my home has sometimes been acting as a trigger for anxiety attacks.
    8. Life Basics – No MFP thread for this but keeping up with paperwork and bills! Now that I am doing double (for my mom too), it is a major stressor in my life.
    9. Daily gratitude list

Glad to be here. And wishing everyone a good day!

• Orphia
    edited December 2018
    znaoiec wrote: »
    This is a great thread for me. I am in the slow process on trying to create a new normal for myself . I lost weight in 2017 for my son’s wedding and have kept it off. Activities throughout the year took up a lot of time and I was determined to make 2018 about myself and attacking the clutter in my home. At the end of 2017 I fell and broke my shoulder while exercising. It took a lot longer to recover than I expected. And then my mother’s health started declining and I moved her to be closer to me and now find myself being a caretaker to her on top of a full time job. I am having a lot of anxiety these days and am trying to figure out how to take care of myself while struggling with everything else. I find I have little free time anymore and am always behind which makes it challenging. Like Orphia mentioned, I visit various threads on MFP but this one kind of pulls them together into one.

My Goals for Now
    1. UAC Challenge. Daily exercise (walking), logging my food, and staying within maintenance.
    2. Train for April Half Marathon (Walking)
    3. One stretch and/or strength mini workout a week. This seems like such a small goal but if I could manage this, I would be thrilled.
    4. Less Alcohol. Have been inspired by threads here to reduce consumption.
    5. Based on Harvard’s recommendation for brain health and cognitive fitness, I want to try for one plant based recipe a month (I am not a cook so this is a challenging goal)
    6. Also based on Harvard’s recommendation, exercise for the brain not just the body.
    7. Declutter. Maintain surface clutter at a minimum. More in depth if I have time. Have realized that with all the stress in my life that clutter in my home has sometimes been acting as a trigger for anxiety attacks.
    8. Life Basics – No MFP thread for this but keeping up with paperwork and bills! Now that I am doing double (for my mom too), it is a major stressor in my life.
    9. Daily gratitude list

Glad to be here. And wishing everyone a good day!

@znaoiec I love all your goals!!!

Special mentions to:

* "Maintain surface clutter to a minimum". Definitely one I aspire to, after spending so much time doing the big things.
    *"Life Basics." - Oh yes! Keeping up with bills and paperwork... goes in tandem a bit with the one above, now I think about it. Pay the bills so you can file them away (assuming they're paper ones).

* "I want to try for one plant based recipe a month (I am not a cook so this is a challenging goal)". I'm so glad you mentioned this. I've been having more plant-based meals, and want to keep it up. I'm not a cook either, and I've been enjoying the vegan plant protein products in the freezer sections here.

Things like these vegan schnitzels which I had last night (with microwave sachets of veg and sriracha sauce):

181a2h0fld03.jpeg
    numjk67pkasy.jpeg
    hxecifduxbyt.jpeg

Once you get over the weird "butterflies in your stomach" sort of creepy cringe your stomach gets when trying things outside your comfort zone :smiley: it feels really good to eat something that's good for you. And they're really delicious, with great mouth feel!

Quorn also do frozen "vegan pieces" which are chunks of plant protein which look and feel a bit like white meat, and I've bunged them in with packet or frozen risotto or pasta with sauce.

Thanks again for your great list of goals!!!