What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    JustaJoe00 wrote: »
    sorry buy chia seeds?? what is the sense? yuk

You don't eat them, you use them for the Bob Ross chia pet!

You could keep it next to your Bob Ross toaster!

0o1mdrttla2a.jpg

Is this a real thing?! My daughter would LOVE this!!!

It was on a Walmart ad I got a couple of weeks ago; looks like it's gone now. But never fear! You can still have Bob Ross waffles! https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bob-Ross-Waffle-Maker-Bob-s-Iconic-Face-on-Your-Waffles-Waffle-Iron/383543079

That is hilarious! I might keep looking for the BR toaster!

I need a gift for the office holiday party, hmm.

I told my husband it was too bad we didn't have a White Elephant gift exchange to go to, because that would be perfect.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    We need to put a little green apple jelly right back up here for the trees on the hill side...
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Me too! I love bananas and eat them daily but banana flavoring is awful. Cherry too.

Oh, I love fresh or frozen cherries, but cherry flavoring tastes like cough syrup! I ordered a drink once that involved some cherry-flavored liqueur and gagged on the first sip.
  • admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    I hate hate hate banana flavoured things as well.
    Also, I love chocolate but chocolate flavoured things: ice cream, cake etc are so gross to me.

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited November 2018
    I like the bananas everyone else considers "bad" and overripe. Lots of brown, as much brown as yellow on the peel, and I don't mind even some brown spots on the fruit. If it's very brown and almost gooey inside, I'll still put it in a smoothie or baked goods, though. If there's even a slight hint of greenish color left on the peel I will not touch that banana.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    I like the bananas everyone else considers "bad" and overripe. Lots of brown, as much brown as yellow on the peel, and I don't mind even some brown spots on the fruit. If it's very brown and almost gooey inside, I'll still put it in a smoothie or baked goods, though. If there's even a slight hint of greenish color left on the peel I will not touch that banana.

@seltzermint555 we always have a ton of those here since my husband forgets to eat them.... you are always welcome!! 👍🏻 I tend to eat the green ones hehe 😉
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,582 Member

I buy a week's worth of bananas at a time and have found that once the peel gets spotty, the banana itself is perfect. I don't like the bruised parts, tho, which probably happens because they're banging against my body in the bag when I'm walking home from the market. :)

I also used to not mind banana flavored things but, since eating the real thing, it has to be something extra special for me not to just go, "Nope! Not like the real thing."

And I'm the queen of artificial ingredients and preservatives so this kinda pisses me off! :)
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Aside from strawberries, I really dislike berries in smoothies.
  • admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    Aside from strawberries, I really dislike berries in smoothies.

Same! It makes it taste bitter to me. The only fruits I like in smoothies are bananas, pineapples, mangos, etc. More tropical fruits.
  • CarvedTones

Same. Sometimes I want a banana so bad that I eat one before it has ripened all the way and I almost inevitably regret it; they have this raw potato vibe going on when they aren't ripe.

I do like banana Popsicles, which only vaguely taste like bananas to me. I have a sweet tooth even for the syrupy fruit punch drinks (even now that I am AF) and the banana Popsicles fall more into that category than actually making me think of bananas.
  • CarvedTones
    mph323 wrote: »
    Me too! I love bananas and eat them daily but banana flavoring is awful. Cherry too.

Oh, I love fresh or frozen cherries, but cherry flavoring tastes like cough syrup! I ordered a drink once that involved some cherry-flavored liqueur and gagged on the first sip.

There are a few places where cherry flavoring is okay - I like Dr Pepper for example, but the cherry syrup for ice cream and whatever is bad.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Watermelon is disgusting. Watermelon FLAVOR, on the other hand...is only slightly less disgusting.

On this topic, anything banana FLAVORED is disgusting. I don't mind real bananas, although they're not my first choice of fruit.

I agree with both of these. Watermelon Jolly Ranchers are OK, but that is about it with watermelon
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    It's the all day grazers I was referring to, primarily. People who have a half eaten bag of Doritos, a handful of gummi bears, and a half eaten bowl of chicken noddle soup on their desk at all times. The people who spend thirty minutes painstakingly preparing their instant oatmeal and then bring it to their 9:30 am meeting. That sort of thing. ugh!

If someone is paying such close attention to me at my office that they know how often and what I eat during the day not to mention how long it took me to prepare my oatmeal, I think they need to work a little harder and worry less about me. We have a huge cafeteria but I never eat there. I prefer to use my breaks and lunches to get stuff done.

One thing about work food - I don't think anyone should reheat fish in the microwave or deliberately burn popcorn (yes, I used to work with someone who did that). It smells up the office.

I had a former boss who had a strict "no microwaving popcorn" policy. There was a sign on the machine and I believe she mentioned it my first day.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    I love bananas, especially the brown spotted ones. I can't eat ones that have green without getting a super itchy mouth, which means I almost always have to let them sit on the counter a few days to ripen more. More brown = more sweet. It's like eating dessert.
  • Ruatine
    Alidecker wrote: »
    Watermelon is disgusting. Watermelon FLAVOR, on the other hand...is only slightly less disgusting.

On this topic, anything banana FLAVORED is disgusting. I don't mind real bananas, although they're not my first choice of fruit.

I agree with both of these. Watermelon Jolly Ranchers are OK, but that is about it with watermelon

I agree banana flavored things are usually pretty gross. On the other hand, I think watermelon flavored things are also usually gross, but watermelon itself is just meh - tastes mostly like very lightly flavored water. I don't care for it and won't go out of my way to eat it, but I don't think it tastes gross.
  • Ruatine
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    It's the all day grazers I was referring to, primarily. People who have a half eaten bag of Doritos, a handful of gummi bears, and a half eaten bowl of chicken noddle soup on their desk at all times. The people who spend thirty minutes painstakingly preparing their instant oatmeal and then bring it to their 9:30 am meeting. That sort of thing. ugh!

If someone is paying such close attention to me at my office that they know how often and what I eat during the day not to mention how long it took me to prepare my oatmeal, I think they need to work a little harder and worry less about me. We have a huge cafeteria but I never eat there. I prefer to use my breaks and lunches to get stuff done.

One thing about work food - I don't think anyone should reheat fish in the microwave or deliberately burn popcorn (yes, I used to work with someone who did that). It smells up the office.

I had a former boss who had a strict "no microwaving popcorn" policy. There was a sign on the machine and I believe she mentioned it my first day.

I have someone in my office who dislikes the smell of popcorn. Since she's a C-level exec, she gets away with telling her team they can't eat fresh popcorn at their desks. I don't mind it, but I do think popcorn (not just burnt popcorn) is very aromatic and the smell tends to fill a large space and linger. Same for reheated seafood (which, personally, I think smells disgusting) and some veggies like broccoli or Brussels sprouts.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I sort of see where he's coming from. I don't think I've ever worked with people who are capable of microwaving popcorn without burning it.

It's still a tyranty thing of him to do, though.