Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What commonly given MFP Forum advice do you personally disagree with?

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Nutrition/fitness/weight loss.

I can truly understand why to someone who is new to posting on the forum, that some replies or statements come across as very harsh or disbelieving. Some but not all of the seasoned posters come across pretty heavy handed, which can turn people off. Their answers still can be rock solid, but it is often how something may come across.
    But some of the questions about certain diets or way to do things are asked over and over just by different people.

What I see the most is people who are not willing to consider other peoples ideas may have value.

I know some come across as harsh, but what I've noticed more here at MFP then any other forum I've participated on is that many posters don't try to search and don't read the stickies. I know it is policy here that this is okay, but I know anytime I've joined a forum I've read around first to get a feel for things. And I read through most of the stickies before posting all but my first post. It just seems to be a different crowd of people who join here and jump in with both feet.

So yeah, the latest question about detox tea might get some short answers from those who have answered it dozens of times before. I know I've had to refrain from posting responses sometimes.

As to the other peoples ideas may have value. I guess it depends on what the topic is. If I say that I don't like cauliflower, that is a personal preference and has value. If I say that this particular tea will work for detox, then I'm going to be asked to support that opinion. 2 very different matters and leaving the detox tea unanswered is doing a detriment to the forum and other posters who may be curious. Explaining (in what can be viewed as a harsh manner) that detox is a scam and, outside of your liver you don't need to worry about it is a big part of what I like here.

The fact that you don't like cauliflower has absolutely no value to me :tongue:
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Not a specific piece of advice, but offering advice without understanding fully the issue at hand is a common problem. Where the person is in the process, what their bodyfat % is, etc. are all critical pieces of information, which leads to much of the misinformation and really bad advice at times.

The one that is kinda getting to me lately is offering advice to raise/lower calories based on the MFP numbers without asking how their weight loss is going. So if someone says they are eating 1200, kinda more important to see if they are losing as expected then determine if they need to eat more.

Actually, it's more important to first see if they're even tracking/logging accurately in the first place. Most people who think they're eating 1200 calories and not losing aren't eating anywhere near 1200 calories.

My point is that we don't know if they are losing or not. It's different if they come asking why they are not losing, but I've seen a bunch where they don't say if they are or aren't, and it turns out they are losing fine.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Nutrition/fitness/weight loss.

I think you're supposed to answer first. :wink:

I see a lot of people staunchly defending certain things as 'the one true way of eating that works for everyone' (TM). I think that most long-timers would agree that each of us need to find what works for us in regards to eating schedule, macro breakdown, etc. Not being too rigid, or trying to change your diet and lifestyle to the point that it's unsustainable. It's funny how heated some of these discussions can get around diet and exercise.

I've never seen moderation become such a hotly contested topic in any other setting than this.

Yeah.

Taking the chance of starting WWIII, but I agree with this...

Some people are moderators with some foods and some just aren't.

If you are - well, good for you.

Maybe step out of the discussions with people who aren't.

Not everyone is the same on this.

I also think the moderator/abstainer thing may be overstated (even Gretchen Rubin has a more complex breakdown she likes now).

Very likely many or most people are moderators on some things or at some times and abstainers on others.

Sometimes people may not be moderators under some circumstances (i.e., can't have it at home, or can't eat it out of a large package), but could be about others -- I'll have it on holiday, I'll have it outside the house.

At one time I thought I could not moderate certain foods and had to have a restrictive diet or regularly overeat. I eventually realized that if I put structure around it I could moderate more broadly (although with some things it's easier to just abstain). I would say that exploring the specific experiences and nuance can be helpful.

I definitely agree that it is much more nuanced. It's not black/white that you're either a moderator or abstainer. There are plenty of shades of gray. I am most definitely gray.