123457»

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    3rd attempt and hope it's charmed
    :
    My up and down goal was a fail. I need more than fear of future possibilities to make a goal sustainable. But since November is almost a memory, I want to report my progress since beginning my steps goal in October.

Goal: get 250 steps min every hour for at least 8 out of 13 hours a day (from 8AM-9PM).
    STATS:
    Weekly range from Apr-Sept 30 was around 5-7 hours, average about 5. YIKES!
    Oct. 1 (started challenge) - Oct. 28, weekly averages were 8, 10, 10, and 11 hours.
    Oct. 29-Nov 25, weekly averages were 12, 12, 10, 8.
    This week I think my average number of hours will be 11.
    Much improved over when I started keeping stats!

The second part of this "experiment" was to monitor the number of minutes I was stationary, usually when watching a movie, or reading, sewing or traveling.

The following is the 30 day average of stationary time (sitting at one stretch) throughout my waking hours:
    Sept 1- 2 hours 54 minutes
    Oct. 1- 2 hours 38 minutes
    Nov. 1- 1 hour, 59 minutes
    Nov. 30 - 1 hour 30 minutes WooHoo!!!

One more thing...my average total steps for the week has gone up between 8,000-11,000 steps. Oct 29-Nov 4's average was actually up 18,000 steps from when I started October 1.
    Must have been busy that week!

Looks like I'm "quitting the sitting" one minute at a time! I have an internal clock now that let's me know when I've been sitting for almost an hour. Then I get up and walk around and read or get busy with an activity that gets me moving. My inner clock doesn't always work, I still get overly involved in my sitting projects sometimes, but there's a great deal of improvement and I don't expect that to change any time soon.

I wrote a blog post explaining why this challenge is so important to me. I don't know how to link it here, but if anyone's interested, you could send a friend request and you could see it from the home page. I'd like that!

Tomorrow is December!!!

This is such a fantastic update, @nebslp! You are indeed quitting the sitting.... that’s a huge reduction in sedentary time! And I love hearing that your internal clock is letting you know when it’s time to get up... even if the clock gets turned off on occasion because you get involved in a project, if it works most the time that’s great!

I can’t wait to read your blog post!

Way to go, you!!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,972 Member
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    3rd attempt and hope it's charmed
    :
    My up and down goal was a fail. I need more than fear of future possibilities to make a goal sustainable. But since November is almost a memory, I want to report my progress since beginning my steps goal in October.

Goal: get 250 steps min every hour for at least 8 out of 13 hours a day (from 8AM-9PM).
    STATS:
    Weekly range from Apr-Sept 30 was around 5-7 hours, average about 5. YIKES!
    Oct. 1 (started challenge) - Oct. 28, weekly averages were 8, 10, 10, and 11 hours.
    Oct. 29-Nov 25, weekly averages were 12, 12, 10, 8.
    This week I think my average number of hours will be 11.
    Much improved over when I started keeping stats!

The second part of this "experiment" was to monitor the number of minutes I was stationary, usually when watching a movie, or reading, sewing or traveling.

The following is the 30 day average of stationary time (sitting at one stretch) throughout my waking hours:
    Sept 1- 2 hours 54 minutes
    Oct. 1- 2 hours 38 minutes
    Nov. 1- 1 hour, 59 minutes
    Nov. 30 - 1 hour 30 minutes WooHoo!!!

One more thing...my average total steps for the week has gone up between 8,000-11,000 steps. Oct 29-Nov 4's average was actually up 18,000 steps from when I started October 1.
    Must have been busy that week!

Looks like I'm "quitting the sitting" one minute at a time! I have an internal clock now that let's me know when I've been sitting for almost an hour. Then I get up and walk around and read or get busy with an activity that gets me moving. My inner clock doesn't always work, I still get overly involved in my sitting projects sometimes, but there's a great deal of improvement and I don't expect that to change any time soon.

I wrote a blog post explaining why this challenge is so important to me. I don't know how to link it here, but if anyone's interested, you could send a friend request and you could see it from the home page. I'd like that!

Tomorrow is December!!!

Great progress @nebslp!
    One sentence really caught my eye:

“I need more than fear of future possibilities to make a goal sustainable.”

I’m curious if you noticed any changes physically or mentally with your increased steps or on the days you drank more water or sat for shorter periods of time?

Perhaps, as you track in December, you could jot a word or two down next to the numbers...

Dec 1 10K steps *noticed I breathe less hard climbing stairs at dept store
    Dec 2 Drank two cups of water upon awakening * skin feels more hydrated
    Dec 3 Read my book last night * I’m
    So glad I love reading-such a joy

I find very low thresholds work best for me when I’m creating a new habit...

- I will pick up my water bottle once an hour & take two sips (except for the water upon awakening, sipping more frequently is better for our bodies, or drinking a cup or two 1-2 hours after eating - which is the other time our bodies need 💦 to help extract & use the nutrients from our food.

- - I will stand at 10 minutes after the hour & stroll for one minute (Set timer on phone for a week?)

- - - I will read 1/2 page of my book at 10:30 pm

Hugs!💞
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,972 Member
    Options
    Even if you did not succeed at your November goal, kudos to you for trying and for moving it from the “maybe someday I will“ to “This November I will”. We change our lives through action and not wishful thinking. The one suggestion I’d have it’s to consider if your goal is something you want to do or if it’s something you feel you should do. Habit researchers are very clear on this point: we simply cannot force ourselves to adopt a new habit or practice if it’s not something we want to do. In the short term, we can muscle the motivation to make it happen, but motivation fizzles out pretty quickly.

I will have the “This December I Will...” thread up later today!

@themedalist I think of you all the time! Thanks for your wisdom & for setting up the “December I will...”

Hugs!♥️🙏🏻🌈