2019 Walk it off Challenge

Replies

• Love_2_Hike
    Love_2_Hike Posts: 103 Member
    Can I ask some advice from all you walkers and hikers.

I suffer from really painfull calf muscles when I walk.

How can I stop this?

I wear compression socks on a long hike. Hydration is important too.
  • MrWeather_81
    MrWeather_81 Posts: 82 Member
    I'm a pretty good water intake generally. But possibly the compression socks may help. Thankyou for the feedback
  • jm216
    jm216 Posts: 3,721 Member
    jm216 wrote: »
    Ok... confession time. After I finished logging yesterday, I munched on crackers. Lesson learned... get out of the kitchen...THEN finish logging out of snack range. All in all a great day yesterday.

Today’s YouTube workout was amazing! It was an 80’s music dance/walking workout.
    This will be on my favorites list. 15 minutes and done.

Happy Wednesday!

https://youtu.be/_7lMJX5D1gk

Holy crap, I think I'm way to uncoordinated for that! :blush:

I’m not the most coordinated either. I’m just glad the kids were at school so they wouldn’t laugh.... I would have made the dance with me. They think the 80’s must have been amazing! They’ve even seen my hair with the “wall of bangs!”
  • jm216

How can I stop this?

I wear compression socks on a long hike. Hydration is important too.

Smart idea!
  • jm216
    I'm a pretty good water intake generally. But possibly the compression socks may help. Thankyou for the feedback

Worth the try!
  • jm216
    I’m hoping the ice in our neighborhood will melt soon. Plus, right now my dog wants to smell all of the snow, then roll in it, then go inside.
  • Larkspur94
    Larkspur94 Posts: 114 Member

How can I stop this?

Apart from hydration, not getting enough magnesium can cause cramping. You should be getting 310mg a day (RDA). Fine if you have half that, it can be a bit hard to reach this depending on diet plan. Just make sure it's not really lacking in your diet. You can look up what foods are highest in it. e.g. A cup of cooked spinach gives 157mg, 28g dark chocolate gives 64mg.
  • MrWeather_81
    MrWeather_81 Posts: 82 Member
    Larkspur94 wrote: »

How can I stop this?

Apart from hydration, not getting enough magnesium can cause cramping. You should be getting 310mg a day (RDA). Fine if you have half that, it can be a bit hard to reach this depending on diet plan. Just make sure it's not really lacking in your diet. You can look up what foods are highest in it. e.g. A cup of cooked spinach gives 157mg, 28g dark chocolate gives 64mg.

I like cabbage and kale. Though spinach is nothing never think of buying.

I'll try keep track magnesium tho. Cheers for the feedback
  • FullofSuccess
    FullofSuccess Posts: 44 Member
    This sounds like a great challenge. I’m in. I am going to log daily and obtain 10,000 steps a day.
  • jm216
    This sounds like a great challenge. I’m in. I am going to log daily and obtain 10,000 steps a day.

Welcome FullofSuccess! :)
    I’m glad to have you as a walking buddy!
  • jm216
    Yesterday I went over calories... late night junk food. I’m taking more candy from Halloween to work. I hit my steps though.

This weeks successes so far:

4 days of 10,000 steps
    3 days of tracking everything.

How are you doing?

Jill
  • jm216
    Momentarily mad...but more motivated to log. I’m up 2 pounds from yesterday due to overeating and not logging from 3 pm on.

This is another reality check for me about the importance of logging. At 48 it’s harder to lose weight than it was in my 20s. I’ve got to log it to lose it!

Getting that out and seeing it in print feels so much better than holding in the frustration. Today is a new day!

Jill
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Love this idea! I'll probably be posting sporadically though.

I can't wait to try the 80's Power Walk!

• evangsimmons170
    evangsimmons170 Posts: 1,188 Member
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Per the other thread on this board, I signed up for the Run the Year 2019 challenge. It's for runners, walkers, cyclists, etc. You may want to check it out. So far I'm liking their tracker and it syncs easily with Strava, which is what I use to track my walks.

I saw the run the year thread too. But when I went to the website, I didn't see a free version of it. I'm on a budget journey to debt freedom and I'm not trying to pay anything extra. Is there a free option for run the year?
  • jm216
    SaraKim17 wrote: »
    Love this idea! I'll probably be posting sporadically though.

I can't wait to try the 80's Power Walk!

It’s so much fun... and the music is great!
  • jm216
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Per the other thread on this board, I signed up for the Run the Year 2019 challenge. It's for runners, walkers, cyclists, etc. You may want to check it out. So far I'm liking their tracker and it syncs easily with Strava, which is what I use to track my walks.

I saw the run the year thread too. But when I went to the website, I didn't see a free version of it. I'm on a budget journey to debt freedom and I'm not trying to pay anything extra. Is there a free option for run the year?

That’s a good question... I’m not sure. There are some free pedometer apps out there for your phone. That would be a great place to start. I hear that Pedometer ++ is good.
  • evangsimmons170
    [quote="jm216;c-42956180

That’s a good question... I’m not sure. There are some free pedometer apps out there for your phone. That would be a great place to start. I hear that Pedometer ++ is good.[/quote]

I use my Fitbit to track my steps.
  • jm216
    I do too!
  • evangsimmons170
    jm216 wrote: »
    Today’s Walk at Home 12 minute workout video. A good, fun, energized, sweaty walk workout!

https://youtu.be/DfRSBksRA9I

I super love Leslie Sansone's walking videos. That's my main exercise!!! I subscribe to her app where all the workouts are planned for you for the whole month. Plus I have over 30 of her DVDs. ☺