WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2018

Replies

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,463 Member
    NYKaren "jogged..." Brava! Do you think it helped your sleep? Awesome quote. I especially like sharpening our gifts... and sanding down our flaws.
    Lisa, love imagining the smell of baking bread in your new forever kitchen. Ahhh!
    Heather I'd never heard of boiling oranges so had to google it. Sounds delish! Alas, I have no food processor. http://www.chefjasonroberts.com/recipe/boiled-orange-and-almond-cake
    Okie "bubbly stroll" ?
    allie you inspire me. Will add "wrap gifts" to tomorrow's to do list, along with Tumble play and to try Happy Adult yoga. Title of that class is intriguing... almost sounds X-rated? :blush:

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    walk one more step 2/2, 60 g protein 2/2, rx/vits 2/2, meditate 2/2, knee exercises 2/2, SWSY UP 0/8, SWSY LOW 0/8, core 0/8, play with Tumble 1/2, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 2/2.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Barbara yes, "jogged!" essentially I walk at my normal pace and then move up to a jog for a bit, then back to walking, I did this yesterday for 2 miles and again, I think I slept better. Woke at 5 a.m. which is an hour later than usual for me. I am going to do this in a gingerly way, no big plans, just gonna keep trying.

Lisa I have fallen in love with hacking our favorite restaurant meals. I feel so accomplished if I can make a dish that is somewhat like going out, you just save so much money doing this, (like last nights general tso's chicken). I went a little off track last week, so yesterday I prepped a lot more, we're having chicken parmesan for dinner tonight, it's dh's fav.

Another marathon week ahead but going to prepare for healthy choices and weather the social pressures.

Only had 2 cups of coffee yesterday, yay me!

NYKAREN

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,638 Member
    Morning Ladies~ Alfie woke me up at 4:15 so im up had my tea, and checking in, going to take a shower and get ready to go walk the boys and feed DFIL
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    I'm sitting here surrounded by Christmas decorations. :) I'm putting them up and my husband was helping. :D

It's been a long day ... I wish I could have cloned myself.

I had to take my husband to a very important medical appointment AND be at my lecture at the same time. I sort of almost pulled it off.

Took my husband to the appointment early and sat with him while he filled out forms until just about the time of the appointment.
    Then I dashed off to uni ... 1.7 km walk in the rain.
    Got to my lecture about 3 slides in.
    Stayed about an hour then caught a bus back up to where my husband was ... picked him up and took him to the bus stop to send him home.
    Caught a bus back to the uni to attend my tutorial .....

I ended up walking nearly 5 km.

It was cool and rainy all day ... perfect day to put up the decorations!!

Machka in Oz

• petrocoetsee
    petrocoetsee Posts: 829 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka in Oz, Hi, no idea how to reply to a specific post. Some tips will be appreciated :)
    I am just going to Sydney

Just click the Quote link under the post you're quoting. :)

Sydney has just been through a couple massive storms - dust then rain - but I think the weather should stabilise closer to Christmas.

If you take a train into the middle of the city (where the Opera House etc. are), you'll likely spend a lot of time walking around ... wear comfy shoes because you can cover a lot of ground in a day.

I'm in Tasmania ... much further south.

Machka in Oz

Thanks for teaching me something new today. I have been to Sydney few times already and we did walk a lot in the city. The parks are just amazing.
  • sidney7305
    sidney7305 Posts: 36 Member
    Good morning all! I am new and desperately need some motivation and support. I look forward to getting to know you all.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited December 2018
    csofled wrote: »
    :)<3:)

Happy Hanukkah, Cheri! 🕎
    Were your ears burning? I recently mentioned #ProjectLinus2018 (& your donations) on this thread. <3
    _________

It's about $1.6 per litre here in Tassie. :(

M in Oz

Over $6.00 per gallon... :#

@sidney7305 You came to the right place! We are definitely supportive, & you are very likely to be motivated by the wonderful women on this thread. If you want to, tell us more. Do you want to be called Sidney? Do you know how to bookmark this thread?

Karen in Virginia

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member

It's about $1.6 per litre here in Tassie. :(

M in Oz

Over $6.00 per gallon... :#

Yep. It costs somewhere in the neighbourhood of $75 to fill our tank.

This is one of the reasons I take the bus and walk. :)

M in Oz

• sidney7305
    Yes please call me Sidney. I am so excited about not doing this alone. To tell you about me. I started out at 275 and I started walking then changed my eating habits by mainly removing processed food and dairy and then later watching my calories. I got to 208 but I have relapsed and gained a 8 pounds which has me worried. I still walk but my eating habits are up and down.
  • sidney7305
    How do I bookmark this thread
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,024 Member
    edited December 2018
    Loving all the pictures!

Happy Hanukkah!

I forgot to read a label. I still allow myself Kombucha even if it is a juice and has some sugar. I bought a brand I don't usually buy. When I got home I read the label. They added sugar to a finished Kombucha so it has double the sugar of my usual brand. I won't buy this one again.

I don't add sugar or milk to tea or coffee. That also helps to keep extra sugar out of my diet.I do like Hazelnut coffee.

I am starting to fit into clothes I bought when I lost 30 pounds a few years ago. I am at 23 pounds down now. Still reading Fat Chance to keep me inspired to lower my sugar and refined carbs. I agree with him that stress in another issue and I need to address. Hence I decided I am cutting down on my Holiday activities. I have had a quiet past three days and I notice my skin is starting to get better. I learned my condition is usually brought on by using a cortisol based ointment. I have not used any thing like that, but the past four months I know I had raised cortisol levels. Time to listen to my body and dial things back.

:heart: Margaret
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,120 Member
    KJ - love your lights on the playhouse. You are so creative with the socks etc.

We usually decorate much later for Christmas, just the week before, but this year I think we might start this week as we have guests coming all month and nobody for actual Christmas. The new tree is still in its box and I haven't braved getting the string lights on the outside tree yet. They can be timed for 6 hours, but I've got to work it out. I did manage to put together an arrangement of leaves etc from the garden. :D
    We are expecting an Amazon delivery of a doorbell, no wiring. The bell push sticks on and you plug in two chimers. Remote signal. :o At the moment we only have a knocker. Again, I will, have to work it out. :*:(;) Don't want a silly tune, just a bing bong.

Coffee - I love my ONE cup of coffee a day. Usually after our exercises. We like it very strong filter, (Intenso no 5) with equal quantities of hot semi skimmed milk. It is too strong for most people. If I'm out for lunch I do like to finish a meal with an espresso, but it has to be super strong, like in Italy. Very few places do it that way in the UK.
    Can't bear instant :# and I rarely drink coffee out as it's like dishwater. The only chain that's halfway decent is Café Nero. Normally I drink tea out, often Earl Grey. Very few people have tea or coffee with sugar over here. The only place you'd find a creamer would be in a hotel bedroom.

The sun has come out. Hope it stays that way for our walk to school. We have Bea's push chair.

We were going to go down to the sea front this evening to see the illuminated beach hut. It's put on by the churches and one hut is decorated each night with a different theme. Carols, mulled wine and mince pies. (Fruit pies) we thought it might be fun and then go to eat at the Italian place for a seafood pasta. However, I think we won't be able to do that, depending on whether my son wants us to help with tea and bath. We can always do it another day, but this particular hut was in a convenient location.

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,432 Member
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Good morning all! Happy Monday! Doing the Monday dance! Happy Hanukkah to Cheri, Barbie and those who celebrate! I did get the play house up and decorated and the majority of the rest of my deco up! wwfk2by1kcy4.jpg
    qvuj2zhup4mx.jpg
    br0awnin7i1p.jpgxn5drkoo9jcr.jpg

The stockings are our countdown calendar. Each day we take a card out of that stocking and do the activity that is on the card. Easy things, but adds a little Christmas fun to our day. My first kiddo has already arrived and doesn't want to have breakfast because he wants to play in "the Christmas Room" first! lol Today we will be reading a couple of Hanukkah books and talking about Hanukkah and making our own menorahs.

We got take out last night (from Speedway, of all places), but my hubby and son love their pizza and I had a Chicken Bacon Ranch Wrap. Went a bit over my calorie allowance, but it felt so good NOT to have to cook! This is the first meal I haven't cooked since before Thanksgiving.

I have a busy week ahead. Everything kind of lined itself up into this week. I have Trentin tonight, a provider network meeting tomorrow night, Trentin and a new family interview on Wednesday night, Trentin on Friday night, and then Trentin is with me from 11:30am-11:30 pm both Saturday and Sunday. The kids and I have a field trip to another provider's home to decorate cookies with her kids. That should be fun with the extra bonus of not having cookie sprinkles all over my floor!

Pip- Love your Christmas nails! I wish I could "have" nice nails; but I gave up. No matter the kind of polish or technique, it always comes off after a day or two of work with the kids. I love a red nail!
    Katla- Ouch! Sorry about your saddle/bareback sores!
    Cheri- Happy Hanukkah! How have you been? Miss you!
    Welcome new ladies! <3
    Gas prices- I have never understood all of the complaining about the price of gas in the U.S.. Most countries pay double (or more) than what we pay. Currently in my area (West Michigan) gas prices are right around $2.10/gallon. Actually, quite low, yet my hubby complains loudly whenever it goes up a few cents. :o

Well, I better get busy. The rest of the crew will be here in moments. I know there are more that I wanted to reply to, but it will have to wait. Hugs to you all ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

Try gel nails, that *kitten* won’t come off
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Barbara AHMOD - It was a charity walk with about 27 stops for bubbly drinks (prosecco, sparkling wine, champagne). They were pouring at least an ounce at most stops....I learned after the first pour to ask for a taste. They were pretty good about just putting enough in my glass to have a sip. You were welcome to pour out what you didn't want. I am happy to report that none of us (there were 3 of us) over imbibed. We all had been dropped off and picked up too. Even with just a sip at each stop (we hit 24 stops), it was more than I have had to drink in over a year, and that's combining everything I've had to drink in over a year.

It was great fun and we enjoyed ourselves and the people watching was FANTASTIC!

Okie

Stroll pic.....I'm in the middle.
    iboxc5i0zavd.jpg

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,285 Member
    edited December 2018
    Kelly - I want to be one of your kids this month! You have so many exciting activities planned, thank you for sharing. Love the pictures! I promise I won't step over the fence to the Christmas tree in the corner, lol. That playhouse is adorable. Lucky, lucky kids. Do you know if other childcare providers are as creative as you are? Do you share curriculums?

Margaret
    - glad you were able to find a better suited house to buy for your DS. I am beside you on your journey, for sure. I used to put milk in my coffee (for the calcium and to buffer my tummy against the acid) but now I like it black and add hot water as tummy problems are a thing of the past. Machka, you are MY coffeemate, lol.

Another weekend of eating out of boredom :s . I'm able to get a mile walk in but left foot is pretty cranky but the time I get home. A year ago I was able to walk/jog for a mile or two - so Heather and Karen in NY, I am with you in spirit and hope to get back to that. Doctor this morning for shoulder, dentist tomorrow (cleaning). The orthopedic clinic where I went for my foot is now down 2 doctors and the podiatrist is doing a lot of foot and ankle surgery so he's super booked up. Once I get my shoulder figured out, I'll see if one of the ARNP's at the ortho clinic can take of a custom orthotic.

Barbie, I often think of you and your situation for inspiration. You've gotten through your health challenges and Jake's as well this year keeping your weight in line with mindful eating and doing other tasks to relieve boredom when you had to be more sedentary. As soon as this shoulder gets better I want to get back to decluttering, was doing so well spending an hour or more going after shelves and boxes. DRAT! And garden clean up. At least with the weather I have another excuse, lol.

Heather, great that you were able to spend the day with Bea. That's what it's all about!! And good that your DH's daughter will be by herself; makes it easier. I too used to think I had to make restaurant quality food for visitors. I finally realized visitors were coming to see us, lol. Ordering a pizza keeps me out of the kitchen and everyone has enough to eat. Best $20 I can spend.

Katla - regarding your cranky husband, several years ago I searched for an online group for spouses of RA patients, to learn more about the disease and how to cope with their moods. The ones I found were mainly discussions of how the different meds were affecting the patients which would have been really useful for me 20 years ago, but my DH is beyond that now and coping with some pain and depression... he's generally doing pretty well now but has days. Rori mentioned she had a good group for dealing with her DH's dementia. So I'm wondering if you've sought out an online group for Parkinsons? Just an idea, you might find some tips there too.

OK ladies, I need to get moving. Have a wonderful day!

Lanette
    Sunny and chilly (28 degrees) WA State

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Kate UK: Thanks for the gas price comparison. Your gas is clearly more expensive than ours. Is it all imported, or does Great Britain produce its own? :huh:

Evie: You’re right about DH having multiple health issues. His two biggest health challenges are diabetes and MS. Diabetes appears to run in his family. Our granddaughter and grandnephew both have it, too. DH manages his diabetes and his MS very well. I’m not sure what caused the gluten intolerance, but his diabetic grandnephew is also gluten intolerant. :ohwell: Arrow was a very good boy for me yesterday. I had a great time riding with my teacher’s BFF. The three of us get along very well. My teacher and her friend are in their late 20’s, possibly pushing 30. I’m “a bit” older (X2) and Arrow’s owner is older than me. :wink:

Willow: Sorry to hear about your fatigue. Is this a new thing or have you experienced it before? :huh:

Pip: I love your glamourous Christmas nails! :bigsmile: The drum ornament is a lovely reminder of your late DH.. :star:

Heather: Good news that your DH’s daughter will be coming on her own this time. That will likely make things simpler for all of you. I hope it is a wonderful visit. :smiley:

Carol in GA: Arrow was a very good boy yesterday and I had a grand time. :bigsmile:

Allie: Congrats on getting your own washer and dryer. WTG!!! :star:

Willow: I have a few friends with fibromyalgia. It certainly makes things more difficult for them. I am glad to hear that you’re working on getting better. I suspect dropping a bit of weight will help. :star:

Machka: I am a coffee drinker and have been since early childhood. When I was little, I had sips of my parents’ coffee—and anything else they might drink. I also had my own cup in the morning, which was mostly milk and sugar with a little bit of coffee in it. It didn’t seem to stunt my growth or cause any health problems. :wink: As to cloning yourself—I suspect that if you cloned yourself, you would expand your expectations and your clones would also have to clone themselves. :ohwell:

Sidney: Welcome to a great group of supportive women. Stop by often to give and get support. To book mark the thread, click on the balnk star at the very top of the thread. It will turn yellow. You can always find us by clicking on the yellow star at the top of the page. :flowerforyou:

Cheri: Happy Hanukah! :star:

Heather: I envy your time with your grandchildren. Mine are so far away! :sad: We plan to visit them next spring and that is a long time away and a long journey to get there. DH has sworn never to fly again. I can’t blame him. He was miserable on our trip last January. :ohwell: Have a good time decorating. We have many of our decorations up already but won’t bring in the Christmas trees until much later in the month. They are living spruce trees and can withstand the heat inside the house for a short time but we don’t want to keep them inside too long. I do have several tiny artificial trees placed here and there. As the days get shorter, they help keep us in an upbeat mood. :star:

Okie: I love the picture of you and your friends. I’m glad you had a good time. :star:

I am looking forward to yoga this morning. DH has a doctor’s appointment that might conflict, but I’m hoping that he can do his thing and I can do mine. Yoga has done great things for my weight, health and fitness, and I like to keep at it consistently.

Have a great day!

Katla in beautiful but foggy NW Oregon

December 2018 Resolutions

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on strength and stamina.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least 3 glasses of water a day.
    5. Monitor sleep. Average 7 or more hours nightly.
    6. Avoid alcohol.