What food/drink did you love when you were a child, but can't stomach now?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    Hot dogs, cold straight from the fridge.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    mcdonalds chicken nuggets. Yuck.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Nestle strawberry milk, ANY little debbies, captain crunch with crunch berries, count chocula... we never got any of these b/c they were name brand and expense for 5 kids...but when we did we ate and drank like there was no tomorrow
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Bologna. I ate a bologna sandwich I think almost everyday growing up with mustard and white bread.

Tried one 15ish years ago and yuck!
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I used to love all the little frozen things, like pizza rolls and such. And things like rice-a-roni. I think they're so gross now.

Wow this reminds me of a recent conversation. There use to be these round toaster pizzas. Similar to pizza rolls, but designed for the toaster. I loved them when I was a kid. You can't find them anymore. The closest thing is a pizza hot pocket, which is not the same.

Rice-a-Roni (and noodle-roni) are just too salty for me anymore.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited December 2018
    I used to love all the little frozen things, like pizza rolls and such. And things like rice-a-roni. I think they're so gross now.

Wow this reminds me of a recent conversation. There use to be these round toaster pizzas. Similar to pizza rolls, but designed for the toaster. I loved them when I was a kid. You can't find them anymore. The closest thing is a pizza hot pocket, which is not the same.

i actually made some rice-a-roni recently, within the last few months. some other brand maybe. I took one bite and couldn't eat anymore. It was like pure salt lol
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    Bologna. I ate a bologna sandwich I think almost everyday growing up with mustard and white bread.

Tried one 15ish years ago and yuck!

One of the most common lunches my mom packed for me in grade school was Oscar Meyer bologna with a slice of kraft american cheese on a potato roll. Loved it. I'm not big on Oscar Meyer bologna anymore, but some good deli Boars Head bologna with cheddar cheese on sourdough? I would jump at that in a second!
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    Banana yoghurt and banana milkshake. I used to have at least one of each every single day. Now I throw up 20 minutes after eating them! I don't know why they randomly don't agree with me anymore
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member

i actually made some rice-a-roni recently, within the last few months. some other brand maybe. I took one bite and couldn't eat anymore. It was like pure salt lol

I make rice-a-roni and similar sometimes. I just use only half of the "seasoning packet" and it's not too salty.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I've been trying to think of one, but I think I'd pretty much eat anything I would eat as a kid. Not that I would make the same choices now because some aren't the best for diet/nutrition, but from a palette perspective, I would still enjoy it all.

My palette has gone the other way. There are a ton of things now that I enjoy that I wouldn't have been able to stomach as a kid. Avocados, pretty much any spicy food, salads, cake, and a whole bunch else I enjoy now that I wouldn't have touched back then.

My palate has expanded as well. I remember not liking cheese as a kid.

Mom didn't serve spicy food. Or Ultra Processed food. I miss her granola. I don't miss having to grind wheat berries to make flour. Or having goats for milk. I just don't drink milk. I didn't LOVE it as a kid, but never developed a taste for cow's milk as an adult.
  • Heidijens123
    Heidijens123 Posts: 289 Member
    Canned pasta, I loved the ravioli and spagettios from a can as a kid. Can't handle them now.
    Also hamburger helper.
    Part of it might be my mom cooked a lot of prepackaged foods and I cook mostly from scratch now.
    Oh eggs, I literally can't stomach eggs, they make me sick for days after I eat one.
  • asonrody
    asonrody Posts: 83 Member
    Little Debbie snack cakes, apple juice, totinos pizzas, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and grilled cheeses with just kraft American cheese.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Mayo sandwiches. Ugh why?

I remember as a preteen or maybe early teenage age putting mayonnaise on popcorn & other times mustard. Now I look back & think WTF was wrong with you? :D
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    I think a lot of these items were what we were told we should like as kids of the 80s or 90s. All the advertising made it seem like not having these foods meant you were a loser with a poor lunch. I've gone back and checked nutritional info on a bunch of things.. and it's bad. Just look at any extreme burgers, pizzas, fried on the go foods we ate. No wonder people like me have weight issues. Even the fruit drinks back then were just softdrinks in disguise. Sunny D, Bunnybread, most Kraft things at kid-height.. our cereals, which of course needed a metric ton of sugar, marshmallows, and chocolate. IF you want to have a lifetime sugar addict, that's how you could do it. Fruit roll ups, gushers, sourblasters, etc etc etc.

WATERMELON. THEY AREN'T THE SAME AS THE ONES THAT HAD SEEDS. NOT AS SWEET AND HAVE TO PICK ALL THOSE LITTLE SEED SHELLS OUT. I DON'T LIKE EATING THEM. AND JELLO. I FOUND OUT WHAT IT WAS. AND LET ME NOT FORGET GRAPE KOOL-AID. THANKS TO JIM JONES.

That wasn't kool-aid brand if I remember right.

Ugh Sunny D is another product I loved as a kid & had a few years ago & couldn't stand it. Not sure if it was from it being sickly sweet or just the taste.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    I used to crunch up a bowl of saltine crackers, pour Ranch dressing all over it, stir it and eat it with a spoon. The thought completely repulses me now.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    They used to serve government cheese when I was in elementary school. I loved it.

Vanilla milk, which was whole milk, artificial vanilla extract and sugar stirred together.

Chef Boy Ardee ravioli

• dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Government cheese
    But the butter was awesome :)
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    edited December 2018
    I used to melt American cheese on Doritos... now as an adult that just sounds so wrong.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    One of the most common lunches my mom packed for me in grade school was Oscar Meyer bologna with a slice of kraft american cheese on a potato roll. Loved it. I'm not big on Oscar Meyer bologna anymore, but some good deli Boars Head bologna with cheddar cheese on sourdough? I would jump at that in a second!

The bologna needs to be fried, with mustard in addition to the cheddar cheese. Sometimes known as a redneck steak & cheese sandwich.

Now, blood sausage is a different matter - used to love it as a kid (boiled, then fried, served with crusty bread and boiled potatoes), not so sure how I'd feel about it today.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    vingogly wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »

The bologna needs to be fried, with mustard in addition to the cheddar cheese. Sometimes known as a redneck steak & cheese sandwich.

Now, blood sausage is a different matter - used to love it as a kid (boiled, then fried, served with crusty bread and boiled potatoes), not so sure how I'd feel about it today.

My kitchen is a "no fry zone" for bologna. My mom used to cook it and stink up the whole house. Ugh and bleh.