Fake haribo

LisaMoxon155
LisaMoxon155 Posts: 256 Member
I found a recipe the other day for homemade gummies like haribo.

Basicially gelatine and jelly. Setting in my fridge at the moment. See what they taste like later on.

Hoping bit healthier than shop brougjt ones.

Anyone tried to make them before??

Replies

• mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    If you are using a bought mix it won't really be any healthier than Haribo (unless its a sugar free mix). If you make them from fruit puree and gelatine, then they will be missing the artificial colourings, flavourings and preservatives. But equally they might not last long without preservatives.
  • stephaniek511
    stephaniek511 Posts: 86 Member
    I'm curious to hear how this turns out - I love gummies...just find they don't fit into my calorie goals as I'd like them to. I've thought about trying my hand at a homemade version to see if calorie reduction is possible
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Ate a bag of the sigar free haribo gummies....addicting......until....I developed stomach craps and the runs for hours!
    Never again!!!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    dsboohead wrote: »
    Ate a bag of the sigar free haribo gummies....addicting......until....I developed stomach craps and the runs for hours!
    Never again!!!

Ugh. Have you read the amazon reviews for those? Some of them are hilarious, that is, if you're at the point you can laugh about it yet.
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    I prefer Albanese or Black Forest Gummies. They're not as hard as Haribo.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    PWRLFTR1 wrote: »

I cant get into the albanese ones they taste odd to me
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    PWRLFTR1 wrote: »

I feel like it really depends on how fresh Haribo are. When I do get Haribo, I'll typically squeeze the bag before hand so I can make sure they're still soft (I'll do this with Red Vines too). When they're hard they're awful though. I'm not a big fan of the flavor of the Albanese gummies and it's been years since I've had Black Forest.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Yeah I have tried the gelatine gummies. For me they did not become gummies but tiny jello bears which melt too easily. I think I figured I have to add corn starch next time.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Never again!!!

Ugh. Have you read the amazon reviews for those? Some of them are hilarious, that is, if you're at the point you can laugh about it yet.

Still recovering....run past them in the store.
  • LisaMoxon155
    LisaMoxon155 Posts: 256 Member
    Yeah I have tried the gelatine gummies. For me they did not become gummies but tiny jello bears which melt too easily. I think I figured I have to add corn starch next time.

Well i made them and more like your normal set jelly. Need to research where i went wrong.

Or if anyone knows what to do.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Never again!!!

A couple of Christmases ago, I read the Amazon reviews aloud as our Christmas entertainment. We all laughed until we cried. Just out of curiosity, I've looked for them in store after store since then, but I've never once seen them. I wonder if they're even a thing anymore.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited December 2018
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    Never again!!!

A couple of Christmases ago, I read the Amazon reviews aloud as our Christmas entertainment. We all laughed until we cried. Just out of curiosity, I've looked for them in store after store since then, but I've never once seen them. I wonder if they're even a thing anymore.

I still see them. I shudder and walk away.

Edited after singingflutelady's post...perhaps I just see the overstock stores are trying to get rid of.

The Russell Stover sugar free candy does have the same effect on me due to the sugar alcohols. eek.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Never again!!!

Nope discontinued but there are lots of sugar free candies that have the same effect. Any with sugar alcohols will do that lol
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    Never again!!!

I guess they've 'run' out of them.

I'll see myself out...

:D
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Why are people so quick to crap on Haribo? :laugh:
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    OMG I LOVE Haribo sour gummy bears. There are no others that come close. Yeah I know.. bad me. I have save tons of recipes to do "healthier" versions but only tried one time with no luck. I think it's something you need to do many times till you get it how you want it. Might work. I wish you luck and please tell me exactly what you did for a lower sugar version if you find it.