What food/drink did you love when you were a child, but can't stomach now?

1235»

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    kami3006 wrote: »
    vingogly wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    One of the most common lunches my mom packed for me in grade school was Oscar Meyer bologna with a slice of kraft american cheese on a potato roll. Loved it. I'm not big on Oscar Meyer bologna anymore, but some good deli Boars Head bologna with cheddar cheese on sourdough? I would jump at that in a second!

The bologna needs to be fried, with mustard in addition to the cheddar cheese. Sometimes known as a redneck steak & cheese sandwich.

Now, blood sausage is a different matter - used to love it as a kid (boiled, then fried, served with crusty bread and boiled potatoes), not so sure how I'd feel about it today.

My kitchen is a "no fry zone" for bologna. My mom used to cook it and stink up the whole house. Ugh and bleh.

I personally love the smell lol
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    kami3006 wrote: »
    vingogly wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    One of the most common lunches my mom packed for me in grade school was Oscar Meyer bologna with a slice of kraft american cheese on a potato roll. Loved it. I'm not big on Oscar Meyer bologna anymore, but some good deli Boars Head bologna with cheddar cheese on sourdough? I would jump at that in a second!

The bologna needs to be fried, with mustard in addition to the cheddar cheese. Sometimes known as a redneck steak & cheese sandwich.

Now, blood sausage is a different matter - used to love it as a kid (boiled, then fried, served with crusty bread and boiled potatoes), not so sure how I'd feel about it today.

My kitchen is a "no fry zone" for bologna. My mom used to cook it and stink up the whole house. Ugh and bleh.

I personally love the smell lol

There are plenty of smelly things that I actually love the scent of but that one...nope.

I do enjoy some bologna though!
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    When I was a kid, my mom would make bologna and eggs. Fried chopped up bologna and onion in butter, beaten eggs poured over and scramble the whole thing. I loved it, but unfortunately I became intolerant to eggs :(
  • fish9283
    fish9283 Posts: 25 Member
    Kraft macaroni and cheese, the one in the box made with powdered cheese.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    JennJ323 wrote: »
    I used to melt American cheese on Doritos... now as an adult that just sounds so wrong.

Even as an adult (haven't done this recently though) I would take a jar of salsa & usually shredded mozzarella cheese or taco blend cheese & nuke it in the microwave for a few minutes. Sometimes I would forget & the cheese would get a bit hard/crispy. I would then take a bunch of tortilla chips & dip it in the cheesy mixture.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    fish9283 wrote: »
    Kraft macaroni and cheese, the one in the box made with powdered cheese.

Gotta say, even in recent years this tasted great . . . when backwoods canoe tripping. At home, not so much.

Most calories taste pretty good after 8 hours or so of paddling, no matter what they're made of. ;)
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    edited December 2018
    watermelon
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I used to melt American cheese on Doritos... now as an adult that just sounds so wrong.

Even as an adult (haven't done this recently though) I would take a jar of salsa & usually shredded mozzarella cheese or taco blend cheese & nuke it in the microwave for a few minutes. Sometimes I would forget & the cheese would get a bit hard/crispy. I would then take a bunch of tortilla chips & dip it in the cheesy mixture.

^that sounds pretty good honestly. As a young teen, I would often melt a thin layer of mozzarella on a plate to the perfect consistency without burning and then peel it off and eat it. My parents wouldn't buy string cheese so hey, that kind of worked. The weird thing about that (looking back) is I thought it was like super decadent, high calorie, guilty pleasure snack, etc, and I bet I wasn't eating more than 1 oz of cheese!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member

^that sounds pretty good honestly. As a young teen, I would often melt a thin layer of mozzarella on a plate to the perfect consistency without burning and then peel it off and eat it. My parents wouldn't buy string cheese so hey, that kind of worked. The weird thing about that (looking back) is I thought it was like super decadent, high calorie, guilty pleasure snack, etc, and I bet I wasn't eating more than 1 oz of cheese!

Yeah! In recent memory, I've done this with real (not canned) finely-grated parmesan cheese. Sprinkle light layer on plate, microwave until crisp, blot any non-essential oil that's escaped, and eat the resulting delicious crispy protein thingie. Lots of happy for surprisingly modest calories, because it doesn't take much cheese. Now you can buy a similar product all made up, in bags.