Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Calorie deniers

gatherum89
gatherum89 Posts: 28 Member
I’m probably preaching to the choir here. But has anyone else seen these people on YouTube or articles on the web talking about how counting calories does not work. This is some seriously dangerous misinformation that try’s to really over complicate things for no reason, que fog horn sound. Is counting calories to harsh of a reality for most people to deal with. I’ve lost almost 100 pounds using a caloric deficit, And this stuff just makes me facepalm over and over again.

Replies

• amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    To pick a nit and refine some terminology here, technically, you don't have to *count* calories. There's a difference between the people who say that a calorie deficit being needed for weight loss is "outdated science" (those people exist), and people who tell you that you don't need to count calories to lose fat.

There are other ways of losing fat besides calorie counting like becoming portion aware. Calorie counting doesn't work for everyone.

Saying that, energy balance deniers (as I like to call them) are charlatan). Eat clean and lose weight! Eat whole foods and lose weight! Eat xyz way and lose weight! Calories don't matter, what you eat matters! Those people are a huge problem and make up a big chunk of the diet industry and take up a lot of oxygen in the public consciousness in regards to ideas about dieting thanks to articles in the media and social media.

As a former 210 pound whole foods vegetarian :p , calories do indeed matter. Nutrition is important for your health, but for weight management? Calories are king. How you handle getting them under control comes down to personal preference. I myself do like counting. It suits my control freak and nerd tendencies.

So a short synopsis is you don't have to count calories, but calories count when it comes to weight loss.

i'd like to slightly revise the bolded above:
    So a short synopsis is if your weight self-manages itself, you don't have to count calories, but counting calories does mattercount when it comes to weight loss.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    amy19355 wrote: »
    To pick a nit and refine some terminology here, technically, you don't have to *count* calories. There's a difference between the people who say that a calorie deficit being needed for weight loss is "outdated science" (those people exist), and people who tell you that you don't need to count calories to lose fat.

There are other ways of losing fat besides calorie counting like becoming portion aware. Calorie counting doesn't work for everyone.

Saying that, energy balance deniers (as I like to call them) are charlatan). Eat clean and lose weight! Eat whole foods and lose weight! Eat xyz way and lose weight! Calories don't matter, what you eat matters! Those people are a huge problem and make up a big chunk of the diet industry and take up a lot of oxygen in the public consciousness in regards to ideas about dieting thanks to articles in the media and social media.

As a former 210 pound whole foods vegetarian :p , calories do indeed matter. Nutrition is important for your health, but for weight management? Calories are king. How you handle getting them under control comes down to personal preference. I myself do like counting. It suits my control freak and nerd tendencies.

So a short synopsis is you don't have to count calories, but calories count when it comes to weight loss.

So a short synopsis is if your weight self-manages itself, you don't have to count calories, but counting calories does mattercount when it comes to weight loss.

Not necessarily. Even people whose weight isn't self-managing can lose weight without counting calories *if* they adopt dietary strategies that put them into a deficit overall. Counting calories isn't required for weight loss, it's just a tool that makes it easier for people to consistently get into a deficit.

Sure it is possible for some to find strategies that don't involve counting calories. I have no clue what other dietary strategies might also work, and maybe some of the folks that don't want to count would like to hear more about what you refer to!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    mph323 wrote: »

Not necessarily. Even people whose weight isn't self-managing can lose weight without counting calories *if* they adopt dietary strategies that put them into a deficit overall. Counting calories isn't required for weight loss, it's just a tool that makes it easier for people to consistently get into a deficit.

Sure it is possible for some to find strategies that don't involve counting calories. I have no clue what other dietary strategies might also work, and maybe some of the folks that don't want to count would like to hear more about what you refer to!

Some common methods are restricting the times of day that one eats (IF, OMAD) or restricting the types of food one eats (low fat, keto, low carbohydrate, WFPB, paleo, etc). These aren't guaranteed to work, as some people can adopt them and still wind up eating too many calories. But others find that these work to limit the number of calories they consume and they can lose/maintain without having to count.

I do find calorie counting to be the most efficient way for me to manage my weight, but there are also people who have lost weight without ever counting a calorie.

There are also some people (who are not me) who can lose and maintain if they stay mindful of portion control.

Oh, yeah! I forgot that one. Portion control is another one.

It didn't work for me either, but I know some people have had success with it.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited December 2018
    I don't understand when people poo-poo on calorie counting. My opinion is, if you don't like it, then don't do it. Fine. But that doesn't mean it's not a good tool for other people. Different things work for different people. We here all know counting calories works. And people have also been successful doing other things to control their calories without actually keeping a food diary. And that's fine too. I think counting calories is the most straight-forward way to manage your weight but I realize it's too tedious for some people.

I don't know if you're referring to people who say "counting calories" doesn't work, or people that say calories don't matter, it's all about where your calories come from. Because I've heard both.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

Amy - I consciously have to manage my weight but I don't have to count calories to do that.
    My weight doesn't manage itself and if I eat intuitively that results in steady weight gain.

I weigh daily and react to changing weight trends by making different food choices or simply eating less (skip breakfast, less snacks, smaller meals etc...) - I'm managing my calorie balance but not counting to achieve that. I can lose slowly when necessary when I have to or want to.

Calorie counting was useful for a while and very educational about where my calories were coming from but it's just not necessary for me long term. Guess I'm in the middle of the range going from people who have to count to the other extreme of people like my son who doesn't have to give any thought at all to stay a healthy weight.
  • gatherum89 wrote: »
    I’m probably preaching to the choir here. But has anyone else seen these people on YouTube or articles on the web talking about how counting calories does not work. This is some seriously dangerous misinformation that try’s to really over complicate things for no reason, que fog horn sound. Is counting calories to harsh of a reality for most people to deal with. I’ve lost almost 100 pounds using a caloric deficit, And this stuff just makes me facepalm over and over again.

Yes.

These are likely the same people who say "diets don't work on me" or "it's harder to lose weight as you get older" (yes, metabolic slowdown is real; no, it is not as drastic as people like to say it is).