Ovasitol - Inositol supplement for PCOS

I wanted to share my experience with Ovasitol (inositol supplement), I started taking it almost 4 months ago while following the Autoimmune (AIP) Paleo diet. During this time I lost 26 lbs. without exercising or tracking food and I never feel "hungry" or blood sugar drops even though I eat sweet potatoes' several times a week. Previously I was taking a fairly high dose of Jarrow brand Inositol (myo-inositol) for over 2 years and eating a low carb diet and my weight remained the same. I was content with maintaining but after reading about Ovasitol and the possible benefits I decided to order a 90 day supply to give it a try considering it's more expensive than the Jarrow brand. I'm so happy that I did order it as I feel so much better taking it, plus I'm still losing weight. I have about 28 lbs. more to go before I'm in the normal range for my height. I've been eating AIP Paleo for my autoimmune diseases of Ulcerative Colitis (IBD) and Hidradenitis Suppurativa (HS) and it has really helped my symptoms, I'm hoping to go into remission in the near future. If you don't have an autoimmune disease then eating Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) and taking Ovasitol may give you similar results. Ovasitol contains a combination of Myo-inositol and D-chiro-inositol compared to Jarrow brand inositol which only contains Myo-inositol. I hope this information helps anyone suffering from PCOS and trying to become healthier and/or lose weight. If you address your hormone imbalances weight loss can be easier with PCOS and it may be as simple as adding the right supplements. It's taken me a few years of trying different supplements to find the right ones for my body, so never give up there is always hope!

-Mariah Michaels

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    @MariahMichaels

That's such great feedback. I hope that others can benefit from it...

Do you find that HS responds to the AIP? I was under the impression that it was mainly hormonal/stress driven, and lately the UK seems to have found data that it's a deep infection of the sweat glands... Mine tends to go in phases.

I didn't do well with the inositol, as it kept trying to reset my lady time, and I'm intentionally on BCP to prevent pregnancy due to many complicating factors (42 years old, POP, etc.).

But I have heard that the D-chiro-inositol is crucial for many. Thanks for sharing!
  • mzlovely22
    mzlovely22 Posts: 2 Member
    I wanted to share my experience with Ovasitol (inositol supplement), I started taking it almost 4 months ago while following the Autoimmune (AIP) Paleo diet. During this time I lost 26 lbs. without exercising or tracking food and I never feel "hungry" or blood sugar drops even though I eat sweet potatoes' several times a week. Previously I was taking a fairly high dose of Jarrow brand Inositol (myo-inositol) for over 2 years and eating a low carb diet and my weight remained the same. I was content with maintaining but after reading about Ovasitol and the possible benefits I decided to order a 90 day supply to give it a try considering it's more expensive than the Jarrow brand. I'm so happy that I did order it as I feel so much better taking it, plus I'm still losing weight. I have about 28 lbs. more to go before I'm in the normal range for my height. I've been eating AIP Paleo for my autoimmune diseases of Ulcerative Colitis (IBD) and Hidradenitis Suppurativa (HS) and it has really helped my symptoms, I'm hoping to go into remission in the near future. If you don't have an autoimmune disease then eating Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) and taking Ovasitol may give you similar results. Ovasitol contains a combination of Myo-inositol and D-chiro-inositol compared to Jarrow brand inositol which only contains Myo-inositol. I hope this information helps anyone suffering from PCOS and trying to become healthier and/or lose weight. If you address your hormone imbalances weight loss can be easier with PCOS and it may be as simple as adding the right supplements. It's taken me a few years of trying different supplements to find the right ones for my body, so never give up there is always hope!

-Mariah Michaels

Has anyone tried pregnenolone?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    I've heard of some of the lesser active members here using it, but basically, it's just a branded name of both types of inositol together. If you can get it at a discounted rate, or if it really helps you to have it paired exactly together, then I'd say go for it.

Otherwise, I'm a fan for finding the best price and working out my best therapeutic level doses for myself. :)
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Interesting! I actually bought the Jarrow brand Inositol to try a while back but haven't gotten around to figuring it out yet (what dose to try, what to watch out for, etc.).
  • jguldi11
    jguldi11 Posts: 201 Member
    I've been using Ovasitol for years and I too believe it has helped in many ways. I stopped BCP August 2018 and I was very concerned because the last time I did that (before Ovasitol) I had a ton of new body/facial hair growth, extremely oily skin and struggled to lose weight. This time around I experienced only mild increase in hair and oily skin (which was temporary), and I've been able to continue losing weight. The only real difference was that I had been using Ovasitol for some time and I believe it helped make the transition off BCP easier. I also notice a difference if I skip a dose and eat a high carb meal, I'm starving immediately after and feel terrible, but with Ovasitol it's not nearly as bad, and of course not eating refined carbs helps immensely. I've also had significantly less episodes of hypoglycemia since starting Ovasitol. I've considered buying the 2 separate inositols and combining myself but I'm a sucker for convenience lol.

I'm planning to start NAC today as I still don't have regular cycles and my husband and I would like to start a family, and I've read that combining NAC and inositol is great for pcos.