Weight “Gain” After Run

Does this happen to anyone else? Almost every morning after a run the number on the scale is up. I know I don’t overeat on my run days, I use a food scale and feel accurate in my calorie counting. And I don’t eat back my calories as I’m typically not hungry after a run - I usually just shower and go to bed. I assume it’s water weight but it is annoying to get in a good, sweaty workout and see the scale go up!

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Likely your muscles holding on to water after exercise. I wouldn't worry about it!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    When you work your muscles, they often hold on to water to help with recovery. Don't get annoyed. This is literally your body doing what it is meant to do and helping you recover from your run.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I ran a half marathon on Sunday and I’m currently up 2.8 pounds from before the run. It’s water. It’s annoying but also a natural and expected process.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    Glycogen & water. Takes about 5-7 days to fully flush through.

I note that I lose ~2-4 lbs just from sweat and exhaled moisture on a good run and this all evens out after I hydrate.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    I only weigh myself after a rest day for this reason. Never after a hard run.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    interesting. i'm usually down after a run over 5 miles
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    I'm always heavier after a hard run or bike ride.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    interesting. i'm usually down after a run over 5 miles

Haha well my longest is 4. I only started running few months ago.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    I only weigh myself after a rest day for this reason. Never after a hard run.

I weigh myself every day. It keeps me on track with my weight loss. I’m not demotivated by the scale fluctuations, I know it’s just water. It’s just slightly annoying because it’s always nicer to see the scale go down.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Try weighing yourself right before and then again right after a run.
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    I love weighing myself after a run. Typically 2-3 lbs less after a 3-5 miler. I’ve tested it numerous times by weighing myself before the run and after. 3 miles is about 2 lbs, 5 miles is close to 3 lbs. But I do my morning runs first thing and don’t really drink much water during the run and always use the bathroom before stepping the scale. My uneducated guess would be that you’re replenishing yourself with water as you’re sweating it along the way.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    OldAssDude wrote: »

Do it! It's really interesting! I've done it before and after two or three challenging hours on the bike (I'm very careful about hydration). I'll usually come in no more than a pound lower. The next morning - up two or three pounds. Water retention for muscle repair.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Yup. Up two pounds the morning after, every single run or barre class.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,718 Member
    OldAssDude wrote: »

And weigh your water bottle(s) before and after, too, if you drink during the run.