Scale Showing Different Weights

My scale will show an amount that is about 2 lbs more when I first get on it. When I get right back on it it will show a weight that is about 2 lbs less than the previous weight that it showed when I got on the first time. Does anyone know why this happens? Thank you for answering my question.

Replies

• WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Sounds like you need new scales or to replace the batteries. Should show the same weight however many times you step on or off if it's within the same few minutes.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    If your scale is not on a firm surface then it may show variations.
  • phoebe112476
    phoebe112476 Posts: 269 Member
    Mine did that too. Frustrated me and I bought a new one. New one does it too. Now I just record the first weight I get on it and try not to obsess. Sometimes mine is fine and sometimes I gain or lose 2-3 pounds in the 5 minutes it takes me to let the dog out in the morning :smile:
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 523 Member
    My scale can vary by up to 5 lbs depending on where on our bathroom floor I place it. I keep it just close enough to the wall that I can get on without my nose hitting the wall and avoid moving it. but if that's not the problem, I'd listen to the above posters.
  • I want to thank everyone for their responses.
  • patrickaa5
    patrickaa5 Posts: 70 Member
    My scale does the same thing. Today I got 4 different weights in about 30 seconds. Almost a pound between the high and low. I've been averaging, but probably should just get a new scale.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    The comment in this review what Consumer Reports found - who of course are testing for accuracy also.
    Several Taylor models.

https://www.consumersearch.com/bathroom-scales/best-digital-bathroom-scales

But they give another scale higher dibs - which i don't like actually.

The version you step on while it's off, and that turns it on.

Which means you can't prep it with any clothes.

Scales you turn on you could lay similar clothes on it that you are wearing, turn on and it zero's out, then you remove clothes and stand on it.
    Now you have your weight without clothes you are wearing.

Can't do that if standing on scale is what turns it on.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    The gym scale (electronic) shows about 1.2 kg (2.5 pounds) less than my home scale. With my current weight of 144 kg (317 pounds) my home scale might be on it's limits - I weigh myself once a week, usually Monday morning, so I watch what I am eating over the weekend.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    The comment in this review what Consumer Reports found - who of course are testing for accuracy also.
    Several Taylor models.

https://www.consumersearch.com/bathroom-scales/best-digital-bathroom-scales

But they give another scale higher dibs - which i don't like actually.

The version you step on while it's off, and that turns it on.

Which means you can't prep it with any clothes.

Scales you turn on you could lay similar clothes on it that you are wearing, turn on and it zero's out, then you remove clothes and stand on it.
    Now you have your weight without clothes you are wearing.

Can't do that if standing on scale is what turns it on.

So put your clothes on the scale (which shouldn't be enough weight to turn it on, unless you routinely dress in a suit of armor), then step on the scale briefly to turn it on (I usually just put one foot on and shift my weight to that leg momentarily), then step off (because that's what you're supposed to do), wait for it to recalibrate to zero, then remove the pile of clothes (will show negative number for weight of clothes), then step on wearing similar clothes, and you'll get your weight net of the clothes.

Personally, I weigh myself naked. If that doesn't work for you, you could just always wear similar lightweight clothes to weigh yourself and either weigh them once and always subtract them, or just figure that it's the difference in your weight and the overall trend that matters, not having a number that's net of clothes.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Mine does this too. Ive had it in different houses with different scales, replaced batteries. Don't move my scale etc. I tried everything I could but my scales still do this.
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Mine does this but it's because my floor is not level
  • Thanks everyone for your responses.