Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. :)
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Here's an interesting blog post by James Crownover worth reading: The Ketogenic Diet and Chronic pain
    Take Home Points

1. Metabolic syndrome is associated with increased pain sensitivity
    2. Caloric restriction, fasting, and the ketogenic diet have been shown reduce pain in animal models
    3. A possible pathway for ketosis decreasing pain is by increasing adenosine
    4. Another possible pathway is inhibition of the NLRP3 Inflammasome
    5. The ketogenic diet may be an effective intervention to improve chronic pain

On a personal note, one of the reasons I still maintain a fairly strict low carb diet is because of this. I had no idea how bad I felt before low carb (6 months into eating proper food, exercising and losing 42lbs I thought I felt pretty great). But I was going through a large 150/200 count bottle of ibuprofen every single month - that was so normal for me I didn't realize how much pain I was experiencing. And I didn't notice the absence of that pain until I had three unopened bottles of ibuprofen stacked up because I kept buying it out of habit not noticing I didn't need it any more.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Me too. The lower carb I go, the better my arthritis pain management. Fewer headaches too - a plus.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Regulation of intestinal growth in response to variations in energy supply and demand

The variability in nutrient absorption may be related to factors influencing nutrient delivery to the intestine under CR, namely, the type of nutrients provided in the CR diet, extent of energy restriction and its duration.

Source

• AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Commonly consumed sources of dietary protein frequently contribute substantially to intakes of nutrients such as calcium, vitamin D, potassium, dietary fiber, iron, and folate, which have been identified as nutrients of “concern” (i.e., intakes are often lower than recommended). Despite this, dietary recommendations to reduce intakes of saturated fat and solid fats may result in dietary guidance to reduce intakes of commonly consumed food sources of protein, in particular animal-based protein. We propose that following such dietary guidance would make it difficult to meet recommended intakes for a number of nutrients

• AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Re: Scant Evidence Behind the Advice About Salt
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Makes me wonder what actually is right about diet recommendations that the government and health organisations put out. LOL
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Makes me wonder what actually is right about diet recommendations that the government and health organisations put out. LOL

My thoughts are similar. So I'm aiming to eat and drink everything I like in moderation

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

I don't think the advice is that bad. But it also isn't meant to address every possible situation and people's personal preference.

Its largely focused on whole foods, plenty of fruits, veggies and whole grains, throw in some healthy fats and moderate protein and call it a day.

Now suggesting to limit salt, just like limiting SFA and sugar, it a way to eliminate highly processed foods.

Is there good correlation between salt and hypertension? No. Is eating a high salt diet going to hurt you? Unlikely, unless hypertension runs in your family... Similar to carbs with diabetes.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options

It makes me angry. I honestly thought "evidenced based" meant something and Harvard was an authority on nutrition.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

It makes me angry. I honestly thought "evidenced based" meant something and Harvard was an authority on nutrition.

No kidding. :(
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    World Carnivore Month is January 2019! Info dump inside!
    For those trying an all meat diet this January - or are just curious about the carnivore threads popping up - this reddit post seems pretty comprehensive and links to everything I've ever seen -- and tons of stuff I haven't.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Lol I had no idea that there is a carnivore month. Thanks for the link - there's a few books in there I haven't read yet.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    I think Sean Baker started it last year ... probably in response to Veganary or something. lol

I'm trying it as we speak! I don't think it's something that's necessary or sustainable for me but you never know. So far the only thing I'm experiencing is that slightly buzzed feeling I get from deep ketosis which I don't really like but we'll see if that tapers off over the course of the month.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Good luck with it.there are a few around here trying it out this month. :)

I tried carnivore for a month a few times. This time it mostly stuck. I went longer to see if it would help more with health and happily I finally got used to the food and it became habit (there was eventually improvements to my joints too that I liked).

I'm not as strict as most/many carnivores. I think human can do great on omnivorous diets, but that carnivore suits some people and some situations best.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Weirdly enough I'm still of the opinion that some vegetables are better than none but admit there's little robust evidence to support that -- too many years of "eat your vegetables; they're good for you" I guess. :) But I wasn't expecting the dramatic difference I experienced going low carb (or that later I'd feel better eating fewer vegetables once I was eating low carb) so I thought there was no harm in trying carnivore out.

It's only been a few days but I'm surprised that I'm doing absolutely fine without my favorite fruits, vegetables and nuts. I'm chalking it up to new diet motivation and expect by the end of the month I'll be ready to kill for a cucumber or pistachio but we will see! I didn't give up coffee and I'm still eating supermarket bacon but those are the only two exceptions I'm knowingly allowing. I joined the carnivore group so I'll be sure to post if anything interesting happens.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I understand. LOL I'm getting to the point where I can see that I don't need veggies but still feel weird skipping them. There's a part of me that wants to hedge my bets and still eat some, which is why I still include some every few weeks even though I sometimes feel the worse for it. ;)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Weirdly enough I'm still of the opinion that some vegetables are better than none but admit there's little robust evidence to support that -- too many years of "eat your vegetables; they're good for you" I guess. :) But I wasn't expecting the dramatic difference I experienced going low carb (or that later I'd feel better eating fewer vegetables once I was eating low carb) so I thought there was no harm in trying carnivore out.

It's only been a few days but I'm surprised that I'm doing absolutely fine without my favorite fruits, vegetables and nuts. I'm chalking it up to new diet motivation and expect by the end of the month I'll be ready to kill for a cucumber or pistachio but we will see! I didn't give up coffee and I'm still eating supermarket bacon but those are the only two exceptions I'm knowingly allowing. I joined the carnivore group so I'll be sure to post if anything interesting happens.

Where are you getting this information from? There are multiple meta-analyses demonstrating the benefits of fruits and veggies on CVD, risk reductions for strokes, improvements to metabolic markers, GI health etc.. I have yet to see anything from the scientific community to suggest otherwise.