Less Alcohol - December 2018 - One Day at a Time

Replies

• MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,547 Member
    htimpaired wrote: »
    Now I know I need to buckle down on my less-drinking goal. I was just asked by a patient at work if I'm pregnant. :'(

I went against my goals and binged last Saturday. Immediately regretted it, like I knew I would. I even lied to cancel plans with some friends so I could isolate at home.

No good comes from this behavior. So I need to figure out a way to change my mindset before this weekend so I don't do it again.

Oh goodness sorry to hear you were asked that. Life gives us all eye opening moments. Deep breath and try not to give in to over thinking the whole thing.
    Good day for good changes!
  • MissMay
    My husband told me today that it's gluttonous to drink 7 beers in a night.

Hi. We all have a number in our head at some point that refers to how much over the top someone is drinking.wether it be ourselves or someone else. I agree that by just cutting back one is a huge difference, that can snowball to cutting down 2 the next time and so on. Small steps for big results. Let us know how it goes.
  • MissMay
    Dec 01 - Cocktails
    Dec 02 - AF
    Dec 03 - AF
    Dec 04 - AF
    Dec 05 - 2 drinks. Can't lie, it was lovely. No regrets. Still within my calorie range today.

Look 2 drinks and you spelled everything correctly! Lol. Glad you are not stressing out over breaking your streak. You have still done an awesome job with those AF days.
  • MissMay
    erikNJ wrote: »
    Hi old friends! It has been probably two months since I have checked with this group, and there is a story to that, but not a good one ...

Hi @erikNJ always so nice to get an update from you. Slips and slides are part of life because we never know what we will wake up to. Seems like ....once again... in erikNJ style you have turned it around and back on track. Yay YOU. Hope your 7 shed off easy. Cheering for you. Oh and your posts are never to long.

• MissMay
    A big wave and hello to our friend @snoo61. Nice to se your still on MFP.
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    snoo61 wrote: »
    erikNJ wrote: »
    Hi old friends! It has been probably two months since I have checked with this group, and there is a story to that, but not a good one ...
    My goal this whole year was to drink less, which for me personally meant one night a week and less drinks on that night. My other goals were to eat better and work out several times a week. I did really well for over 10 months and stuck to that very well, even a bad week was maybe a second night of drinks. I lost 30 lbs over those ten months.
    Mid October I got in a very dark place in my head. That led me to stop caring about my health. Stopped going to the gym. Ate horrible food every night and, yes, drank a lot more. That went til right before last week. I gained back 7 of those lbs, but shocked it wasn’t worse.
    I can’t explain my mental condition. But I feel great now. Been back at my gym for a week, eating properly and off the booze for a bit too. Haven’t even had a beer during a football game for a few weeks.
    I’m extra glad this happened right now, cause we all know how people can use the holidays to give up on health for a month. I feel like now I’m getting a head start on the new year vibes.
    I know I won’t go completely alcohol free over December but my goal was never to quit for good. Holiday parties will happen and I will have some drinks at those events. But hoping I go back to my drinking habits of Jan-Oct. and planning to keep eating well and stay at the gym - btw the gym this time of year is great cause no one goes, you have the place practically to yourself!
    Sorry for the long post! Great to catch up on all of your progress!

Eric, I'm glad you're not beating yourself up about it! Everyone falters, that isn't a failure, glad you know that too.
    Good timing btw, I am rarely here and glad to see you.

Great timing, I was very excited to see you post as well!!
    And I love your other post too. Gradually knocking down a drink a night is working for you and that is what matters. All of our journeys are different.

Thanks for the kind words @MissMay. You have always been there with good vibes. I know I am one of many who appreciates that.
  • MissMay
    Oh wow @WinoGelato that pic is so very cool. ALSO a good idea for using drink glasses that are no longer needed. Glad your having a super time and having great wine.
  • MissMay
    @orphia ten months AF is incredible. To think way back to January of this year, as to where we were and where we are, is amazing.
    You by far have taken the bull by the horns to speak with your wonderful upbeat full steam ahead attitude
    You are a huge inspiration..
    Many thanks for all you do for our group.🤗
  • forestdweller1
    forestdweller1 Posts: 356 Member
    Everestchick11 you go for it !! Slow and steady, and pick yourself back up if you slip. Sometimes our family and friends need to go on a criticism diet . ;) All kinds of support here, and confessions we may not make to others.

Broke my scale, but continuing to log my food on MFP. My clothes fit now, there is more pep in my step, so no need to obsess on watching the pounds go down.
    My 14 year old grandson dropped in for a few hours yesterday [to play with my Cat]. I chaffed him a wee bit about Snap Chatting the drink his father recently gave him, and mentioned that I stopped drinking 6 months ago to lose weight. To my total surprise, I got a "high five". Will never be able to confront, even lovingly, his alcoholic- in- denial father, without losing my "grandson privileges", so hoping to be an example that moderation or abstinence is an option.

Htimpaired said she lied to avoid an event that would include drinks, and isolated at home. Instead of "hidebernating" , why not just tell folks you are cutting back, maybe because alcohol interferes with your allergy meds [??] if they are so bold as to question you or press drinks on you. Yeah, more lies, but lies to people who question your good decisions don't count.

Happy whatever holiday you are celebrating....back to lurking til next year.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,546 Member
    MissMay wrote: »
    Dec 01 - Cocktails
    Dec 02 - AF
    Dec 03 - AF
    Dec 04 - AF
    Dec 05 - 2 drinks. Can't lie, it was lovely. No regrets. Still within my calorie range today.

Look 2 drinks and you spelled everything correctly! Lol. Glad you are not stressing out over breaking your streak. You have still done an awesome job with those AF days.

I am trying for 4 AF days per week.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Dec 01 - Cocktails
    Dec 02 - AF
    Dec 03 - AF
    Dec 04 - AF
    Dec 06 - AF
    Dec 07 -
    Dec 08 -
    Dec 09 -
    Dec 10 -
    Dec 11 -
    Dec 12 -
    Dec 13 -
    Dec 14 -
    Dec 15 -
    Dec 16 -
    Dec 17 -
    Dec 18 -
    Dec 19 -
    Dec 20 -
    Dec 21 -
    Dec 22 -
    Dec 23 -
    Dec 24 -
    Dec 25 -
    Dec 26 -
    Dec 27 -
    Dec 28 -
    Dec 29 -
    Dec 30 -
    Dec 31 -
  • dawnbgethealthy
    My husband told me today that it's gluttonous to drink 7 beers in a night. When he puts it that way....I don't do it a lot....ok I'm in denial but we are dieting together now, he told me I don't need to quit drinking, just limit to 1. Which is a good idea. But I can't for the life of me think of what hed quit for dieting. He doesn't seem to have a binge item.

That was not very nice of him to say! And limit to one? One is pretty hard to do. I guess if it is beer then it lasts longer because it is 12 ounces. 7 beers would definitely be a lot of liquid in the bladder lol.
    I look forward to seeing what you settle on as a reasonable amount : - )
  • Runningchick11
    Runningchick11 Posts: 53 Member
    My husband told me today that it's gluttonous to drink 7 beers in a night. When he puts it that way....I don't do it a lot....ok I'm in denial but we are dieting together now, he told me I don't need to quit drinking, just limit to 1. Which is a good idea. But I can't for the life of me think of what hed quit for dieting. He doesn't seem to have a binge item.

That was not very nice of him to say! And limit to one? One is pretty hard to do. I guess if it is beer then it lasts longer because it is 12 ounces. 7 beers would definitely be a lot of liquid in the bladder lol.

This is why this group is good, to some people 7 seems crazy, but it all varies person to person. I think 7 was just a lot for dieting purposes because they were heavier beers and probably 200 calories or more a beer, I pretended they were calorie free. I told my husband tonight I didn't like what he said. He also doesn't drink really and doesn't understand the deliciousness of it.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member

This is why this group is good, to some people 7 seems crazy, but it all varies person to person. I think 7 was just a lot for dieting purposes because they were heavier beers and probably 200 calories or more a beer, I pretended they were calorie free. I told my husband tonight I didn't like what he said. He also doesn't drink really and doesn't understand the deliciousness of it.

@Everestchick11

Hahaha! :smile: Yep, I was in denial about my 1 beer and 2-3 large wines/bubblies a day and kidding myself they were "moderate" though each drink was several units of alcohol - well above any recommendation.

Comments from family really hit home and make us stop and think even though we may not like them.

My husband, mother, and one sister all commented on my weight (once each). I didn't like that, either, but I really think I needed to hear it.

Well done for coming in here trying to battle with yourself over your consumption. That takes courage. You look like you're a runner. That takes determination, and winning lots of battles with yourself. I think you're pretty awesome.
  • dawnbgethealthy

Yes, it all boils down to weight loss for me too. Cutting it down really is the easiest way to eliminate calories. I like to have 3 drinks normally, but I would rather have none at all on a given day instead of trying to have just one. For sure if you are at a party or out with friends for a few hours one drink would not last. But if I stick to club soda or something then I can have several beverages over that time. Servers at a restaurant or bar must hate it if someone orders one drink and then nothing else taking up their section for hours.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Dec 01 - Cocktails
    Dec 02 - AF
    Dec 03 - AF
    Dec 04 - AF
    Dec 06 - AF
    Dec 07 - 3 drinks, so AF 4 days out of 7. I was shooting for 4 or 5, but was counting Sunday to Saturday. I am up a whole pound this morning, so it is obvious that drinks should be avoided often.
    Dec 08 -
    Dec 09 -
    Dec 10 -
    Dec 11 -
    Dec 12 -
    Dec 13 -
    Dec 14 -
    Dec 15 -
    Dec 16 -
    Dec 17 -
    Dec 18 -
    Dec 19 -
    Dec 20 -
    Dec 21 -
    Dec 22 -
    Dec 23 -
    Dec 24 -
    Dec 25 -
    Dec 26 -
    Dec 27 -
    Dec 28 -
    Dec 29 -
    Dec 30 -
    Dec 31 -
  • Runningchick11
    Runningchick11 Posts: 53 Member
    I drank 4 drinks plus shot but I drank 100 calorie drink and tracked my drinks! I avoided my favorite beer but still had a good Saturday! I even logged the extra cookies I ate.