Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Calorie Deficit vs Starving Yourself

124»

Replies

• ERAY13
    ERAY13 Posts: 17 Member
    I don't think it's necessarily about calories but what you eat. Someone could eat 3000 calories of pure junk and be starving themselves of nutrient-dense food. Someone eating 1000 calories could be eating very balanced and getting protein/carbs/healthy fat. It depends on height, activity, and weight loss goals, but I wouldn't call >1000 "starving".
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    DizzyMissIzzy Posts: 168 Member
    Why thank you for the compliment. Yes I lost 10kg, isn't that like the whole point of MFP.

In one month?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Why thank you for the compliment. Yes I lost 10kg, isn't that like the whole point of MFP.

In one month?

Right, that's the part I'm curious about too...
  • savarnabanana
    savarnabanana Posts: 21 Member
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Keliwar65 wrote: »
    I have been losing weight since 12/14/2015 and have currently lost 34.4 pounds from the 270 starting weight. It includes a very calorie restrictive diet, and counting calories consistently. While some say it is not good to cut calories as severely as I have, if you look up the diet of a person with gastric bypass, they drop to 600 per day...for months before that can even hope to get back to 1,100 calories per day.
    So I decided to take their approach. ..I have not eaten large amounts for years, but always seemed to stay in the same weight range. Although over the last 26 years I went from 220 up to 270...
    Even 1,200 will add weight currently, so I'm tying to work out a balance, as I continue to lose weight. But under 1,000 I hold or still lose slowly, over 1,000 seems to be the tipping point where I gain.

See a doctor. Honestly, if you gain at anything more than 1,000 calories you have a medical issue (or you are a very petite senior WOMAN). Gaining at anything over 1,000 is not normal, especially for a man. It's more likely you are underestimating what you are eating. Do you weigh your food?

Gastric bypass PATIENTS have medical support to reach nutritional needs. These are not do-it-yourself projects.

There's a good reason MFP recommends a minimum of 1,500 calories for men.
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    A calorie deficit just means you're taking in less energy than you are expending...I expend about 2,800ish calories per day...if I eat 2,300 calories per day I would have a 500 calorie deficit.

Pretty sure I'd be pretty much starving my body of required nutrients and energy with anything less than about 1,500 calories...and I've never even approached that.
    I have been losing weight since 12/14/2015 and have currently lost 34.4 pounds from the 270 starting weight. It includes a very calorie restrictive diet, and counting calories consistently. While some say it is not good to cut calories as severely as I have, if you look up the diet of a person with gastric bypass, they drop to 600 per day...for months before that can even hope to get back to 1,100 calories per day.
    So I decided to take their approach. ..I have not eaten large amounts for years, but always seemed to stay in the same weight range. Although over the last 26 years I went from 220 up to 270...
    Even 1,200 will add weight currently, so I'm tying to work out a balance, as I continue to lose weight. But under 1,000 I hold or still lose slowly, over 1,000 seems to be the tipping point where I gain.

See a doctor. Honestly, if you gain at anything more than 1,000 calories you have a medical issue (or you are a very petite senior WOMAN). Gaining at anything over 1,000 is not normal, especially for a man. It's more likely you are underestimating what you are eating. Do you weigh your food?

Gastric bypass PATIENTS have medical support to reach nutritional needs. These are not do-it-yourself projects.

There's a good reason MFP recommends a minimum of 1,500 calories for men.

Agreed, if you truly are eating that many calories in order to lose/maintain you may have a thyroid condition and as someone who suffers from one ignoring them won't make them go away! They can be treated very effectively.

But personally I think the most likely reason is that you are actually just in denial so are eating more than you think.
  • traceyroy54
    traceyroy54 Posts: 89 Member
    jennk5309 wrote: »
    The difference depends on What your metabolic rate is. I thought 1500 calories a day would be okay for me for weight loss, but I felt like I was starving all the time and would then overeat. I got my resting metabolic rate tested and it turned out that my metabolism is 35% higher than other women my height and weight. I need about 1800-2000 calories a day to lose 1.5-2 lbs a week. Therefore, 1500 was starving for ME. Or at least it felt like it, and I certainly couldn't stick to it!

Im just wondering that.

Im 43, 90.5kg 175cm, i want to lose weight, but 1200 years is starving for me?
    Any ideas?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Did you plug your stats into MFP? How much are you trying to lose total and how much per week? What did it give you for a calorie goal?
  • traceyroy54
    traceyroy54 Posts: 89 Member
    Ok will do
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,977 Member
    The difference depends on What your metabolic rate is. I thought 1500 calories a day would be okay for me for weight loss, but I felt like I was starving all the time and would then overeat. I got my resting metabolic rate tested and it turned out that my metabolism is 35% higher than other women my height and weight. I need about 1800-2000 calories a day to lose 1.5-2 lbs a week. Therefore, 1500 was starving for ME. Or at least it felt like it, and I certainly couldn't stick to it!

Im just wondering that.

Any ideas?

Not sure why you have posted this on a 3 year old thread??

but I doubt MFP would put your calorie allowance at 1200

You are younger, taller and heavier than I was - and my calorie allowance was 1460.

• Icbacoach
    Icbacoach Posts: 1 Member
    Check out scott abel. Talks about relative deficits and absolute deficits
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member

Im just wondering that.

Any ideas?

Not sure why you have posted this on a 3 year old thread??

but I doubt MFP would put your calorie allowance at 1200

You are younger, taller and heavier than I was - and my calorie allowance was 1460.

At 1 kg/week, which is likely the chosen goal, it would probably be 1200. I calculate a TDEE of under 1800 with NO exercise.

For the new person worried about 1200 being unsustainable, remember a lower goal is fine, better even if you can sustain it more easily, and eating back exercise calories is also expected.

Also if you said sedentary, consider that you might not be. I am only 5'3, and was 44 when I started, and assumed I was sedentary since my job is not active, but since I live in a big city in the US and walk a lot I lost way more than anticipated. Lots of people not in the US probably walk a lot more than the sedentary assumes.

I lost most of my weight eating around 1650, since I ate back exercise calories.