The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    This weekend I went to beautiful Florida for a getaway. I must admit over the course of five days, I had a few glasses of wine; I didn’t get out of hand at all and actually felt in control like a real person. I wanted to just forget about my diet, my drinking problem, my exercise regimen and just relax and rejuvenate. So that I did.

Now I’m back in the snowy Midwest and back to hard work. Back to abstinence from alcohol, back to healthy eating and exercise and back to work. But I am not fooling myself. I still have the drinking problem I once had. I just wanted to be carefree and thankfully kept it under control. Day 1 begins again. But I’m not dreading it; I know it is better for me to abstain and maybe drink once a year for a special reason.

welcome back!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,155 Member
    @NormInv It is very tempting to mask the pain or stress with alcohol. For me this past weekend, it signified letting go. And just enjoying the moment.
    Good job on tonic and ice. That can be your go to AF drink.
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Back to day 1 for me. I was all motivated and ready to go, but last evening I had a pretty rough therapy session, touched on a lot of painful memories, and instead of doing what I should have done, which was go home, hug and my cat and dog and wait for my boyfriend to get home from work to comfort me, I poured myself two mixed drinks with gin. Didn't really help of course. I am worried for this weekend coming up, because my habit is to isolate on Saturday nights and binge on ciders and unhealthy take out.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    @NormInv It is very tempting to mask the pain or stress with alcohol. For me this past weekend, it signified letting go. And just enjoying the moment.

thanks Julie
  • ElC_76
    ElC_76 Posts: 3,054 Member

Yeah,.. that's a nice substitute.. ;)
    I was a bad one for failing into that temporary fix. I'm learning another way.
    Today we went out on a whole school excursion to summit survivor recreation course and it was a day I would normally smashed down a few ciders.. this was my substitute. :) I could drive home with a piece of mind B);)
  • ElC_76
    htimpaired wrote: »
    Back to day 1 for me. I was all motivated and ready to go, but last evening I had a pretty rough therapy session, touched on a lot of painful memories, and instead of doing what I should have done, which was go home, hug and my cat and dog and wait for my boyfriend to get home from work to comfort me, I poured myself two mixed drinks with gin. Didn't really help of course. I am worried for this weekend coming up, because my habit is to isolate on Saturday nights and binge on ciders and unhealthy take out.

Hugs for u. We are in this together :):):):) stronger that way. We can do this!! We have to think out side the box for substitute ideas. All ideas are welcome.
  • ElC_76
    Finding other company that doesn't drink at the party would help a lot. Then the focus is on other things, that then becomes the life of the time.
  • RubyRed427
    Drummer913 wrote: »
    @RubyRed427...Your journey is yours. Your choices, decisions, thoughts, emotions. You do You, right? However, you are not alone. This group is tremendous support for all of us, as much or as little as needed. Sometimes we vent, sometimes we inquire or ask questions, and sometimes we just read along till we need or can offer something. I am fairly new to the group, but I have found myself reading this thread and sometimes think, Wow, that's just like me, or that's just like how I am feeling. Anyway, glad to hear you enjoyed a nice getaway in the warm weather, and I admire you for all the feedback you so often provide to us. Congrats on day 2!

That was very insightful. Each of our journeys is our own. Thanks for saying that.

I am happy you had a good experience at the concert. I remember a great song Muse did ... Madness. I always liked that song. I remember several music concerts where I barely remember the time because I had one too many. Not drinking during a concert makes is so much more meaningful. And sounds like you had a fabulous time and woke up clearheaded with no hangover except from being tired from being out late. Xo
  • RubyRed427
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    i just wanted to pop in and mention today would have been my husband's 43rd birthday
    but he stopped working his program. he stopped working towards recovery. and his addiction killed him. it didn't care he had been married 3 months. it didn't care he had a 14 year old starting high school in a few days. it didn't care he had people who loved him and only wanted more time with him.

That’s a really sad story. I’m so sorry for your pain. Tragic for all of you. Xo