Anybody on here doing "Optavia"?

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    I am on the second week of optavia. They had me on 900-1000 calories as a fitness instructor. I did not lose any weight, had a "coach" call me names and insult me. It is very sales driven and it has been a very very very negative experience for me. I will take away the eating high protein small meals more frequently but that is about it. It was very expensive and full of propaganda. You could not post anything on their site on facebook unless you it about losing weight. When i tried to ask why i was not losing, they deleted my post. Terrible program

how were you not losing on 900-1000 calories? thats very low for even most people and should have resulted in weight loss

I would think because she has only been doing it for 1 week ( " I am on my second week..")

Not that I am defending this MLM at all, I think all such scams are rip off nonsense - but not losing after 1 week is not unusual with any plan - fluctuations can mask what is happening in only 1 week of data.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    I am on the second week of optavia. They had me on 900-1000 calories as a fitness instructor. I did not lose any weight, had a "coach" call me names and insult me. It is very sales driven and it has been a very very very negative experience for me. I will take away the eating high protein small meals more frequently but that is about it. It was very expensive and full of propaganda. You could not post anything on their site on facebook unless you it about losing weight. When i tried to ask why i was not losing, they deleted my post. Terrible program

how were you not losing on 900-1000 calories? thats very low for even most people and should have resulted in weight loss

I would think because she has only been doing it for 1 week ( " I am on my second week..")

Not that I am defending this MLM at all, I think all such scams are rip off nonsense - but not losing after 1 week is not unusual with any plan - fluctuations can mask what is happening in only 1 week of data.

I somehow missed the week part . yeah 1 week means nothing
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    I started Optavia on September 6 & lost 20lbs in the 1st month, which I couldn't believe. There's a lot of comment s on here about it being MLM & expensive- it is. It's $400 per month, & you eat 5 of their meals (bars & stuff) throughout the day & then have a "Lean & Green" meal - 5-7oz of meat depending on which protein you choose, & 1.5 cups veggies.

😱
  • arafael13
    arafael13 Posts: 2 Member
    I have been on it for about 6 weeks. Previously started at 186 lbs, lost weight with changing my eating habits (and tracking all with MFP) and running/working out about 50lbs. Then gained some back (about 15 lbs) due to a bunch of things - no need to detail.

Cut long story short, my friend was doing Optavia and lost a lot of weight, I only wanted to drop about 15 lbs. I also want to keep working out. Friend was doing the 5&1 - too little for me, and doesn't recommend working out while on it. However, the 4-2-1 program (look it up), works great for me.

I agree, it is MLM and there is a "cult-like" mentality. Of course, their interest is to get you back as often as possible, so my recommendation is that if you decide to go on Optavia, get on the website first, figure out which program is best for your weight, goals and lifestyle. Then find a "coach" and order. I ordered "a-la-carte" rather than buying their kit. Also - be well-informed, know your goals and that's it. The coaches wanted me to do 5-1 (which is super restrictive), and after a while I was firm and told them, NO.

They have Facebook groups - which are super cult-like. My recommendation is - either avoid them, or be selective what you use them for (mostly support).

Remember: you can eat one of their "fuelings" (bar/shake etc), which are 110 calories, but once you are at your goal weight, or if you cannot afford it, you can eat an Oikos Triple Zero yogurt with the same calories... etc.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    Remember: you can eat one of their "fuelings" (bar/shake etc), which are 110 calories, but once you are at your goal weight, or if you cannot afford it, you can eat an Oikos Triple Zero yogurt with the same calories... etc.

or you could just eat whatever is the same calories that you want and can afford in the first place ............
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    Is this MLM legal in the USA? because pyramid selling isn't.