Low carb Vs keto

Options
I'm debating whether or not to do low carb, Vs keto for my health.

I'm not sure I can do keto, but I do like some of the recipes
Just not enough veggies for me.

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I try to keep carbs at 50g or less with about half of that from wine. The other half come from vegetables. That tends to place me in and out of ketosis depending on if I run that day and how far. For me it feels right and comfortable. I started eating this way in July and have lost twenty five pounds without counting or limiting calories. I just eat when hungry and stop when full. It just feels right and works for me. So OP I guess you can play around and do both and see what works best for you. I wouldn't stress on hitting ketosis by the numbers.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I try to keep carbs at 50g or less with about half of that from wine. The other half come from vegetables.

Doesn't a glass of wine have like 4 g carbs? Or are you into super sweet wines?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I'm debating whether or not to do low carb, Vs keto for my health.

I'm not sure I can do keto, but I do like some of the recipes
    Just not enough veggies for me.

I am usually somewhat low carb (100-120 g) when on a deficit. I tried keto for a while as an experiment -- based on my reading and calculations, under 50 g net carbs is likely sufficient to be in ketosis, especially if you are somewhat active (I am). I aimed for about 50-55 g total carbs, pretty much all from vegetables and nuts plus occasionally some cottage cheese/greek yogurt, and usually was more like 60 g total carbs, but around 35 net.

My requirement for myself was not cutting back on vegetables much (I normally eat around 10-12 servings per day). I did the ketostix thing and was supposedly in ketosis.

I didn't find I felt much different doing keto vs. my normal low carb (or even moderate carb). I don't think keto is better for health (especially if you cut down on vegetables, although you absolutely don't have to). The exception would be if you have epilepsy, but then it would be doctor-supervised. If you have IR or T2D, low carb and combining carbs with fiber and protein should be adequate.

I'd say not to worry about it and just experiment to find what you like. There's a great rant somewhere by a low carb proponent who talks about this -- and yay, I found it!

http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2016/01/dont-be-a-ketard1.html

Oh, either way I don't use special recipes. I eat a vegetable omelet with feta for breakfast, normally do a salad with protein for lunch (often with nuts or seeds on it), and then meat (often fish) plus veg plus whatever to fill out calories for dinner. When higher (but still low) carb I include fruit (missing fruit was one big reason I did not want to stay keto), or potatoes/sweet potatoes, or a smaller serving of pasta, and am more likely to include higher amounts of low fat dairy (cottage cheese and greek yogurt) and beans/lentils as sources of protein (tofu and tempeh are actually reasonably low carb, and I eat that too -- I try to include a good variety of non meat sources of protein).
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    rsclause wrote: »
    I try to keep carbs at 50g or less with about half of that from wine. The other half come from vegetables.

Doesn't a glass of wine have like 4 g carbs? Or are you into super sweet wines?

I tend to speak in round or general numbers but it is usually a half bottle and a light beer afterwards so I guess that to be about 20g to 25g.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I would start with low carb first and see how it goes. Some, like me, find they feel better the lower their carbs are so the lower it further to ketogenic levels.

Unless there is a specific health issue that you need ketones for (such as a neurological or cognitive problem, or bad insulin resistance) then low carb might be enough for you to reach your health goals with.
  • MattTheCat1981
    MattTheCat1981 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Nothing is ever "proven" in science. Proof denies falsifiability, and is the antithesis of science. If you know of a scientific study that indicates that carbs are unhealthy with a sigma 5 or greater certainty, then cite it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I would start with low carb first and see how it goes. Some, like me, find they feel better the lower their carbs are so the lower it further to ketogenic levels.

Unless there is a specific health issue that you need ketones for (such as a neurological or cognitive problem, or bad insulin resistance) then low carb might be enough for you to reach your health goals with.

This is what i would suggest too. Start with lowering your carbs until you feel comfortable with your diet. And even if you do end up in keto range, and feel the need for more carbs, realize its ok to eat more.