Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Calorie deniers

Options

Replies

• IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Well for some, I guess simply cutting sugar beverages out, they could lose. Especially if a person drinks a 2 ltr a day (no not me) but I’ve seen it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I think calorie counting is another form of dieting. It may work short term, but research doesn’t show it to be sustainable for long term weight loss.

Given how daunting the statistics on long term weight loss are, what do you determine has been found to be sustainable?

Intuitive eating is the seemingly best approach to a healthy life. While a diet focuses on weight, inituive eating focuses on healing an unhealthy relationship with food. This means no denying yourself food when you’re hungry, even if you’ve “run out of calories for the day”, but it also means choosing healthy foods most of the time, and those more tempting foods sometimes. There’s plenty of books if you’re sick of dieting and want to look at a long term approach to loving and honoring your body!

That sounds a heck of a lot like how I got 20 lbs overweight in the first place :wink:

I didn't have an unhealthy relationship with food. I just ate a little bit too much, every day, over 10 years or so. Calorie counting helped me stop eating that little bit extra. It helped me see where I was wasting calories. It helped me see I was accidentally eating pretty low protein, and sometimes low fiber. It made it easier to correct that.

I was hardly ever hungry while I was losing weight here. And I eat much "healthier" now that I can see everything in black & white.

I don't have an intuitive relationship with my bank account either. I have to keep track of that stuff or drift off course.

I think we may be losing sight of what intuitive eating is. Look at children, if you give them options to healthy foods and unhealthy foods throughout their childhood they will chose what they need to grow. They will also eat as much as they are hungry for and not much more. This is the basis of intuitive eating. While intuitive eating sounds like an easy concept to grasp, it’s not when you’ve disabled yourself from listening to your body.

You've never see my nephews around candy. They're both regularly served healthy foods and their mothers are very nutritionally aware . . . but when they have the chance to cram in sugar, they're all in.
  • amberellen12
    amberellen12 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    When I wasn’t counting calories I wasn’t losing weight. Actually slowly putting it on.

Now I found out how many calories I need to lose weight and count them. I’m losing weight plus I see what foods are high calories and I cut them down... like beer!😂🍺
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    When I wasn’t counting calories I wasn’t losing weight. Actually slowly putting it on.

Now I found out how many calories I need to lose weight and count them. I’m losing weight plus I see what foods are high calories and I cut them down... like beer!😂🍺

NOOOOOOO!!!! Not the beer. :(
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I had to switch to light beer and I hate light beer. It was most to lose the carbs.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Wonderful analogy @AnvilHead! <3

Now that I've been in maintenance for a few years, I don't regularly count calories on the daily anymore.

Easily 99% of the stuff I eat and drink I've consumed many times before, anyway. I have a good handle on what an appropriate portion size looks like. I know the calories in my morning cuppa, I know what two eggs 'cost', etc. My recipes and all the things I usually eat or drink are entered in my database. That's my "Food Repertoire," if you will. On the odd occasion something different comes along - either a new product at the store, a recipe I want to try, or a restaurant meal I haven't had before - I'll take the time to figure out how calorically 'spendy' it is and add it in.

I've given myself a maintenance weight range. I step on the scale 2 or 3 times a week. If I see my weight consistently trending upwards and threatening to approach the upper limit, I know it's time to be more diligent. So I'll go back to weighing and logging until it's down where I want it to be. Doing that is also a good refresher course for me on what a portion size really is. It's easy for that to get a wee bit bigger over the course of time. ;)

The other thing I do is I will occasionally and randomly test myself. Let's say I make meatloaf for dinner. I give myself what I think is the right portion size and then I'll weigh it to make sure. Or I grab a handful of grapes for a snack. I'll guess how much they weigh and then pop them on the scale to see how close I am. I actually find that fun!

But I could just be weird...

:D

And to play off my analogy above, I'd say yours (and others using a similar strategy) would be more like embarking on that same trip to Osnabrock, North Dakota when you've been there before and have a decent recollection of how to get there. You had to use the map your first time, but now you're generally familiar with the journey and pretty comfortable with it for the vast majority of the way. You may have to occasionally stop and check the map to refresh your memory on where to turn or which road to take, but all in all you've got a good handle on it.

Damn, that's good, son! <3
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,049 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I had to switch to light beer and I hate light beer. It was most to lose the carbs.

Light beer? Ugh.

Thank you, you've just added another to my list of Very Good Reasons Low Carb Is Wrong For Me. (Happy it's working well for you, as always :) .)

You can have my share of the light beer. If it's that or water, I'll take water. ("Like making love in a canoe . . . ." for you Monty Python fans).

NSFW link, for those who haven't heard that old saw: https://youtu.be/JbxfFOdp-bY

• amberellen12
    Options
    Didn’t give up the beer just plan it into my daily calories. 3 beers = 420 calories.🥳 Not everyday. No light beer for me!!!! 🤮
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »

As a celiac I had to switch to barely free beer... sourghum beer!! Blech. I'd take lite beer now if I could. ;)

But then there is still whiskey. ;)
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Didn’t give up the beer just plan it into my daily calories. 3 beers = 420 calories.🥳 Not everyday. No light beer for me!!!! 🤮

You drink different beer than I do. 3 beers = around 800-850 calories. ;) Not light at all . . . .
  • amberellen12
    Options
    Yikes!

I drink Canadian beer - Cariboo Genuine. 1 can = 140 calories.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Yikes!

I drink Canadian beer - Cariboo Genuine. 1 can = 140 calories.

Common choice for me: Ellison (East Lansing, MI, USA) at http://www.ellisonbrewing.com/brew-pub/, my preferred options are n the 6.5%ABV to 7%ABV range, which means probably 262-268ish calories per 16oz. pint, which is 787-804 per 3 beers . . . except usually mug club so 20 oz., thus . . . um, more?

Lummesome craft IPA. ;)

Tonight, Bad Brewing (Mason, MI): Hop Dancer 16oz (7% ABV) and Hop Resolution 12oz (10.8% ABV) - don't worry, I didn't drive - so maybe 268 + I dunno, maybe 310? = 578 or so?

I rarely drink 3 pints. Never that much if I drive, for sure. I'm not that big. :)
  • rsclause
    Options
    I love IPA's, Stouts and porter but unless its a special occasion, like when I visit my son this weekend, it is Corona light. Makes me think of water. Corona Premier is only 2.6g carb but it is more like nasty water.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I noticed several menus now post calorie information on the beverage menus including beer. Very helpful as the range varies so much with all the winter brews and bourbon barrel releases.
  • rsclause
    Options
    I know to alcohol level is high if they serve it in a glass smaller than a pint too.