Less Alcohol - December 2018 - One Day at a Time

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I drank 4 drinks plus shot but I drank 100 calorie drink and tracked my drinks! I avoided my favorite beer but still had a good Saturday! I even logged the extra cookies I ate.

Yay, great work!!
  • Orphia
    One for the lurkers:

giphy.gif
  • Orphia
    MissMay wrote: »
    Last night I made plans for going to a New Years Eve bash out of town. We attended one last year and that was when I had already put into motion my drastic moderating of alcohol.
    I had begun sometime around May 2017 cutting down slightly, skipping drinking events and leaving gatherings early to avoid consumption.
    I knew last NYE would be hard, not on ME, but on people around me wondering why it was taking me 2 hours to drink a light beer. But hey...I am the one who kept pulling others to the dance floor to boogie. I was the one who brought fun party props to take pictures with. And I was the one asking why people were already heading back to thier rooms when the band had not finished yet.
    You can still enjoy life and have fun with out passing out before the night is over.
    Looking forward to this years bash as well.
    Hope to see some of you there. 😆

@MissMay I'm so glad I read this before my work Chrimbo party today!

6 months ago we had another party which I avoided because I didn't feel ready to be AF in a large social situation.

Today, I was actually looking forward to it! I had some nice AF drinks (ginger beer, sparkling mineral water with a slice of lime and ice), and was able to make conversation with workmates' spouses which normally would have stressed me out before.

And when people started getting too loud, I had no reservations about leaving. I'll be fine for work on Monday morning. Can't say the same for a lot of others! :smiley:
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    I’ve failed everytime I went with less alcohol. I’m such an all or nothing person. So I was able to quit 6 days ago. This time I need it to be forever!

We all have our own ways we have to go about it. It sounds like you know your struggle. I hope you find what you need to get a handle on it
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,532 Member
    @raindogmaa that was so nice of you not to say aanything about the wine. And re-gifting is a great idea. 90 days woot woot on that number!

@doubleIronDog however you have less in your life is all good on here. Some cut back slightly, some more and some completely. Congrats on going for it with 6 days down. Great picture by the way. Hope to hear from you again.

I think without looking for the count I am 15 or so days AF.
    Went to Buffalo Wild Wings to watch football at 1:00pm today. Place was mobbed with sports fans and Xmas shoppers. We managed a few seats at the bar area.
    Ordering iced tea resulted in a lot of odd looks during the drinking hours. But I came back with the comment I was offering safe rides home at a reduced price if anyone was not up to driving.
    Nice laughs from many there to cut the ice.

• doubleIronDog
    doubleIronDog Posts: 93 Member
    Agreed. Thank you, I feel so much better as well!
    MissMay wrote: »
    @raindogmaa that was so nice of you not to say aanything about the wine. And re-gifting is a great idea. 90 days woot woot on that number!

@doubleIronDog however you have less in your life is all good on here. Some cut back slightly, some more and some completely. Congrats on going for it with 6 days down. Great picture by the way. Hope to hear from you again.

I think without looking for the count I am 15 or so days AF.
    Went to Buffalo Wild Wings to watch football at 1:00pm today. Place was mobbed with sports fans and Xmas shoppers. We managed a few seats at the bar area.
    Ordering iced tea resulted in a lot of odd looks during the drinking hours. But I came back with the comment I was offering safe rides home at a reduced price if anyone was not up to driving.
    Nice laughs from many there to cut the ice.

• dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,515 Member
    Dec 01 - Cocktails
    Dec 02 - AF
    Dec 03 - AF
    Dec 04 - AF
    Dec 05 - 2 drinks. Can't lie, it was lovely. No regrets. Still within my calorie range today.
    Dec 06 - AF
    Dec 07 - 3 drinks, so AF 4 days out of 7. I was shooting for 4 or 5, but was counting Sunday to Saturday. I am up a whole pound this morning, so it is obvious that drinks should be avoided often.
    Dec 08 - 1 glass of wine, 2 mixed drinks.
    Dec 09 - 1 glass of champagne, 2 mixed drinks. I don't normally have drinks on Sundays, so if I want to go 4 or 5 AF this week the workdays will have to be AF. Way under calories for today even with the drinks.
    Dec 10 -
    Dec 11 -
    Dec 12 -
    Dec 13 -
    Dec 14 -
    Dec 15 -
    Dec 16 -
    Dec 17 -
    Dec 18 -
    Dec 19 -
    Dec 20 -
    Dec 21 -
    Dec 22 -
    Dec 23 -
    Dec 24 -
    Dec 25 -
    Dec 26 -
    Dec 27 -
    Dec 28 -
    Dec 29 -
    Dec 30 -
    Dec 31 -
  • dawnbgethealthy
    I drank 4 drinks plus shot but I drank 100 calorie drink and tracked my drinks! I avoided my favorite beer but still had a good Saturday! I even logged the extra cookies I ate.

Logging is everything. It is what has prompted me to have some AF days each week, the calories sure do add up. I have known some people that switched to vodka/club soda which is super low in calorie. I have never tried one personally.
    I definitely drink a lot more herb tea on my AF days. Really not a bad substitute. After going 5 months of having drinks every single day with the encouragement of this thread I am happy to now be counting AF days each week.
    Breaking habits is what we do to lose weight and get healthier. I could still easily have drinks everyday, but I am still into the very biggest pair of pants that I own - that I hadn't worn for almost 3 years before joining back up to get a handle on that. I look forward to wearing the rest of my clothes : - ) Alcohol is a big factor, also a bloated face the next day is another reason to be AF for at least quite a few days of the week.
  • Runningchick11
    Runningchick11 Posts: 53 Member
    On a more humorous note, everytime I read AF I keep thinking of the slang term, "as f..."
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    On a more humorous note, everytime I read AF I keep thinking of the slang term, "as f..."

Me too!

I did it again this weekend-binged even though I knew the consequences. I notice I have held back on talking to my SO about this, even though I am completely open with him on everything else. It's almost as if, if I say something, then I have to follow through, because he'll know. Whereas if I keep this struggle to myself (although who am I kidding-he knows I'm overdoing it-he sees the empties), I have an out if I don't want to commit. So logic says I should talk to him before this weekend so I am held accountable.
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member

I’ve been reading people post that for almost a year now and I cannot read any other way. Haha
  • MissMay
    edited December 2018
    erikNJ wrote: »

I’ve been reading people post that for almost a year now and I cannot read any other way. Haha
    I will chime in on this because it brings humor to the thread.
    I would rather be
    Sober AF
    than
    Drunk AF

Have a great day peeps

• SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Hello from Chicago. I’m on a work trip. It’s going reasonably well. I’ve had wine every day but not too much. Anyone else planning to do Dry January? I did it last year and loved it.
  • mainelylisa
    mainelylisa Posts: 375 Member
    edited December 2018
    Hi Everyone. I've been struggling a bit with not drinking wine nightly at home, but think I've found something that actually greatly reduces the desire to drink habitually at home in the evenings. I'll let you know after a few more weeks.

I started incorporating a wee bit (I like to think I'm Irish/English--probably because I like the idea of a pub-hah) of HiiT on the treadmill. Yesterday was as little as repeating 5 min @ 3.5 mph, followed by 1 min @ 5.5 mph on an incline for a total of 35 min. Of course there are a lot of different ways to do this to mix it up and/or work around injuries/being old (cycling, rowing, burpees, jump rope, etc.). I've been doing typical steady aerobic (ya know--in that "fat burning zone"-mixed with some weight--workouts for years, but they never had the following effect.

There's some connection between getting my heart rate up to almost 170 for just 5 minutes (resting 70ish) that...6+ hours later makes my butt feel a little kicked and just makes wine seem...ehhh. And the desire to overeat unappealing as well.

I encourage you to read about HiiT if you're unfamiliar--there is a lot of literature on the benefits.

I'll let you know how things progress. Now, I think I'm going to make some mushy peas for dinner.
  • MissMay
    edited December 2018
    There she is *waving* @mainelylisa nice to hear from ya gal. Oh yes HIIT workouts are the bomb. I mostly do Beachbody workouts and many of them by Chalene Johnson. Her TurboFire series is all about the HIITs and you can pick between 20 minutes up to 60 minutes, so if you are time sensitive there are tons of options. I have done them on the treadmill to when I owned one.
    You will have to disclose your secret weapon for over coming being "winey" at night. (Lol sorry could not help myself)🤣
  • forestdweller1
    forestdweller1 Posts: 352 Member
    Off topic, but @mainelylisa started it !! Better than a boxed DNA test, you are.
    HAD to google "mushy peas". Now I understand why my siblings and I each secretly had an affinity for drained cheap canned peas, mooshed, and eaten straight from the can. It's our Irish/Welsh/English roots. Have to try the real thing some time. :D
  • MissMay
    Ok...I must have missed something about the mushy peas, 'cause I don't get it.
    Blonde Me.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Dec 01 - Cocktails
    Dec 02 - AF
    Dec 03 - AF
    Dec 04 - AF
    Dec 05 - 2 drinks. Can't lie, it was lovely. No regrets. Still within my calorie range today.
    Dec 06 - AF
    Dec 07 - 3 drinks, so AF 4 days out of 7. I was shooting for 4 or 5, but was counting Sunday to Saturday. I am up a whole pound this morning, so it is obvious that drinks should be avoided often.
    Dec 08 - 1 glass of wine, 2 mixed drinks.
    Dec 09 - 1 glass of champagne, 2 mixed drinks. I don't normally have drinks on Sundays, so if I want to go 4 or 5 AF this week the workdays will have to be AF. Way under calories for today even with the drinks.
    Dec 10 - AF
    Dec 11 -
    Dec 12 -
    Dec 13 -
    Dec 14 -
    Dec 15 -
    Dec 16 -
    Dec 17 -
    Dec 18 -
    Dec 19 -
    Dec 20 -
    Dec 21 -