::Diabetic question:: what foods help lower your A1c

I've been in the bariatric program for years now and keep getting denied because I can't get my A1c out of the double digits. I cut out all the bad carbs but still have high glucose readings eating good carbs (mainly veggies)

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Ironically, it may be that you need to lose the weight. Your liver may pump out too much glucose and you may be extremely insulin resistant if you have enough extra weight to be in a bariatric program.

Some people have a strong reaction to even commonly labelled "good" carbs like whole grains and beans. Some people even have sugar spikes from protein sources. This is one reason so many diabetics swear by keto. That is not a recommendation, as I was personally miserable on keto and it didn't actually lower my fasting glucose at all.

However, if you have double digit A1C, you should be on meds. How is that aspect coming along?

Are you cleared for exercise? Even if you just start with 5 minutes a day, it can help with blood sugar levels.

I recently started on Ozempic. I call it my chemical bypass. I am frequently naseous and only hungry after skipping meals. I also sleep a lot more than I used to. Frankly, it is miserable, maybe even more so than keto was, but I am doing some "diet skills" exercises to build new habits, so hopefully I can come off this crap in January and still be successful going forward.
  • ozzra8
    ozzra8 Posts: 80 Member
    Thanks for the input. I've lost 70 lbs on my own since I started this weight-loss journey.. still have extremely high glucose lvls. Ive tried keto and Atkins and probably every other diet out there and still have high glucose readings. I also seem to butt heads with my nutritionists everytime I cut something from my diet or try a new diet. I pretty much get reprimanded like I'm a little child that doesn't understand her own body but it's my fault for being to honest with my care team thinking I didnt want to run into complications after surgery but now realize that they are all just as clueless as I am. so I'm pretty much going at it on my own at this point. When it comes down to it, I'm the one who is living with this illness and need to figure out how to take control before it destroys my body. I am on oral meds metformin and glipizide xl twice daily and on insulin lantus and humalin as well. They haven't tried me on any if the newer meds. no clue as to why. I'll ask my doctor about ozempic. I am also a very active person, no restrictions physically. I'm just a rear case where my body pretty much produces glucose even when fasting. I have high glucose readings.
  • ozzra8
    No sliding scale. I'm on 30 units of lantus twice a day and 50 units of humalin once a day. 1000mg of metformin in the am and 1500 in the pm. 10mg of glipizide xl twice a day. I had an intolerance to the metformin in the beginning but am fine now.

I do eat carrots but no beets. Ill cut out there carrots and see if that helps. I switched to squash in place of potatoes but just realized that acorn squash is pretty high as well so cutting that out too. Spaghetti squash is still good. Also oatmeal. I eat steel cut oats in the am. Just found out that this can beet the root to my sugar spikes as well. Fingers crossed
  • LeslieMedic
    LeslieMedic Posts: 2 Member
    The class of medication that both responders mentioned are called GLP-1 agonists. They mimic a hormone found in healthy adults that tends to be very low in diabetics. There are several classes of diabetic medicines that can cause weight gain in trying to normalize the blood sugar (several were mentioned above.) The GLP-1 meds are associated with weight loss, these are Ozempic, Trulicity, Victoza, Bydureon, and byetta. If your A1c is in the double digits, or even if you are not making headway on your current regimen, I urge you to go see an endocrinologist or at least talk to your doc about trying a newer medication. There is another class called SGLT-2 that can lead to weight loss and can help protect the kidneys while lowering your blood sugar.

Your insulin regimen leaves a lot to be desired. You can help someone help you by checking your sugar multiple times per day, fasting, before meals, and before bed. I recommend that you make a chart and write these readings down by time of day.

Please, go see someone informed and ask about the GLP-1s, find an exercise routine that helps to lower your insulin resistance, and be aware of the types and volume of food you are eating to get better control of your diabetes before you suffer severe complications.
  • ozzra8
    earlnabby wrote: »
    ozzra8 wrote: »
    No sliding scale. I'm on 30 units of lantus twice a day and 50 units of humalin once a day. 1000mg of metformin in the am and 1500 in the pm. 10mg of glipizide xl twice a day. I had an intolerance to the metformin in the beginning but am fine now.

I do eat carrots but no beets. Ill cut out there carrots and see if that helps. I switched to squash in place of potatoes but just realized that acorn squash is pretty high as well so cutting that out too. Spaghetti squash is still good. Also oatmeal. I eat steel cut oats in the am. Just found out that this can beet the root to my sugar spikes as well. Fingers crossed

You need to start counting total carbs. Do you log here at MFP? It is a quick and easy was to see how many carbs you are eating. If so, make sure you weigh all solids and semi solids and measure all liquids. Has your doctor or Registered Dietician given you a total carb number to stay under? If not, you need to talk to them. They may give you a daily number or a number to stay under per meal (I have been given a daily number) Have you taken classes taught by a Certified Diabetic Educator (most healthcare organizations offer them for those diagnosed with T2Dm or pre-diabetes). They can help you learn food substitutes. I find substituting turnips instead of potatoes in my stews significantly lowers the carb count.

Individual foods don't matter as much as the totality of what you have eaten during the day. I can eat a teaspoon of sugar in my tea (4 grams of carbs) but that means I need to have a smaller piece of fruit or forego the bread on my sandwich so I can stay under my maximum of daily carbs.

I've been seeing a nutritionist and endocrinologist for over a decade and not once have I been given a daily number of carbs. Just was taught the difference between good carbs and bad carbs and that "good carbs" under a certain net carb index shouldn't effect my blood sugar. My new nutritionist that I just started seeing (new insurance) doesn't want me on a diet at all stating that restricting food from my diet is only going to cause me to cheat. I literally laughed in her face asking if she read my file and said you do realize that I'm seeing you because of my diabetes not just my weight, right? So yeah.. I can't eat sugar or anything out of the good carb index even in moderation or I'll have sugars in the 400-500's and that's with taking all of the meds listed above.
  • ozzra8
    The class of medication that both responders mentioned are called GLP-1 agonists. They mimic a hormone found in healthy adults that tends to be very low in diabetics. There are several classes of diabetic medicines that can cause weight gain in trying to normalize the blood sugar (several were mentioned above.) The GLP-1 meds are associated with weight loss, these are Ozempic, Trulicity, Victoza, Bydureon, and byetta. If your A1c is in the double digits, or even if you are not making headway on your current regimen, I urge you to go see an endocrinologist or at least talk to your doc about trying a newer medication. There is another class called SGLT-2 that can lead to weight loss and can help protect the kidneys while lowering your blood sugar.

Your insulin regimen leaves a lot to be desired. You can help someone help you by checking your sugar multiple times per day, fasting, before meals, and before bed. I recommend that you make a chart and write these readings down by time of day.

Please, go see someone informed and ask about the GLP-1s, find an exercise routine that helps to lower your insulin resistance, and be aware of the types and volume of food you are eating to get better control of your diabetes before you suffer severe complications.

I am seeing an endocrinologist. Been seeing one since I became a diabetic over a decade ago. I'm very much aware of the health risks and this is the #1 main reason why I was placed in the bariatric program because there is a very high chance that it will put my diabetes in remission. I apologize if I made anyone think that I'm not educated on my disease. I appreciate all the feed back but my initial question to the public was if anyone knew of any foods that help lower ones A1c. This is the knowledge I am seeking.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Listen to earlnabby, she knows what she is talking about on this topic!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Listen to earlnabby, she knows what she is talking about on this topic!

Seconding this advice.
  • PurpleSparkles85
    PurpleSparkles85 Posts: 44 Member
    Often doing the opposite of what you think is what you need to do. Fasting makes your liver kick up the glucose so your brain especially can function. They always told me to cut my protein. Well, proteins keep me satisfied so that I don’t eat junk carbs. Fiber keeps you satisfied too. My A1c is 5.7 on no meds with these 3 things. I agree, find new people to work with. And carbs are carbs, I don’t fall in with this net carbs or adding calories back in because of them. Everyone is different and what you do has to work for you. Are you sure you have no food allergies?
  • AT0M1CR00ST3R
    AT0M1CR00ST3R Posts: 17 Member
    1. Reduce the carbs, big time. All carbs, not just sugar. Complex carbs become sugar eventually. T2. Portion control. This means COUNT CALORIES. Don't fall for that "balance carbs with protein" thing. This takes discipline. Log all food in the My Fitness Pal app. 3. Exercise. No need to explain the benefits of this. At least go walking if nothing else.
    You know these things already.
    Eat things like protein shakes, salad, eggs, chicken breast, and veggies. Do what I do and buy the Nutri Ninja Auto IQ blender, and buy Vega Organic Vegetable based protein powder (available at Costco) Have at least one shake a day. Try it or don't. This is what works for me. It may not work for me
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    I would recommend reading "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution". He also has as related book, "The Diabetes Diet" (by Richard K. Bernstein).
  • milb65
    milb65 Posts: 3 Member
    Ok ... lurker ... first time posting here. I used to have the same issue. I would exercise twice a day, eating a balanced healthy diet, and still my BG was over 160. Then my endo put me on trulicity and synjardy. Let me tell you, over night weight started coming off and BG went to below 120. Seems that for me Lantus was over compensating and causing my liver to misbehave.
    All this was 1 year. I have since lost 48lbs, and am no longer in meds. Plus my BG is 110 consistently.

My advise, for what its worth, talk to your endo about trulicity.
  • justsomeksgirl
    justsomeksgirl Posts: 1 Member
    T2 here. On met, lantus, and novolog. Was recently in the hospital for sepsis and sugars were over 400. Came down on meds, but not where I personally wanted them to be. December 1st I cut out all land-animal products. Seafood is the only animal product I consume now. I eat beans and lots of good, complex carbs, eat smaller portions, and stick to about 1700 calories. Since going mostly plant-based my fasting numbers are now in the 80s and my 2hr post-prandial numbers are in the very low 100s, sometimes without any meal-time insulin at all. My diabetes nutritionist has my macro goals at Carbs (30%), Fat (50%), and Protein (20%). For good fats I eat avocado, nuts, seeds, peanut butter. Proteins I have seafood, nuts, peanut butter, and beans. I use a food scale to measure portions and I use the MySugr app to log my glucose readings. I was nervous at first to cut out land-animal products because they are easy protein sources, but I have been feeling so much better without them and my numbers have been great.

Hoping you can find a way to get your numbers down so you can get approved for the surgery!
  • Naoma_Campbell
    Naoma_Campbell Posts: 1 Member
    Thing that worked for me, cut all carb heavy food. No more oatmeal, fruit (including dried fruits) bread, pasta, squash (except zucchini) because all those things were causing insulin spikes and keeping my a1c up. I use chia to replace oatmeal, I don't miss bread or pasta and the fruits are something I use only on cheat days. Once I removed all carb heavy foods, and cut my carb percentage to between 10 and 20% the numbers started dropping.