Low carb Vs keto

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    The fat is my favorite part of keto!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I think what would be nice is to understand what the OPs health concerns are and what is her current plan, both diet and exercise. While diet can have an effect on health, exercise does too... The combination will often provide much more of an impact as compared to diet alone.

^^^100%
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    I'm debating whether or not to do low carb, Vs keto for my health.

I'm not sure I can do keto, but I do like some of the recipes
    Just not enough veggies for me.

@ChubbyRose84 I found there is no answer to your question.

In the end I decide to go for annually improving health markers. Why not get a good baseline exam and lab work then pick your Way Of Eating and get started. If you your health markers are getting worse year after year find a new WOE. If it is working so so then try tweaking it. That has been working out for me for the past 4 years with better health markers than in decades.

There are no magical WOE's out there that works for everyone. Work to find one that works out in your case and work to learn why and do more of the same as long as it is working well for you is my thought.

^^^ 100%
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Kegwsm29 wrote: »
    Larkspur94 wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »
    What do you mean about "for your health"? Unless you have been recommended a diet like that for a specific reason by a doctor, there is nothing healthy about eating less carbs. Carbs have gotten a reputation as unhealthy because companies make billions of dollars a year selling low carb solutions to things, so they've needed to make carbs out to be the bad guy. But there's no evidence at all backing that up.

@MikePTY
    There's actually scientific study that proves carbs are bad for you. Unlike the 'fat is bad for you' hypothesis which has yet to proven, despite the billions of dollars spent on many many studies.
    Studies on the carbs have to be self funded as the government won't fund them (Make too much money on the carb food industry and medicine to help with illness caused by carbs, to let it be known). Look them up. The documentary 'The Magic Pill' has a section that briefs it down for you. You can watch on Netflix. Low carb/keto prevents heart disease, diabetes, obesity, alzheimer's, improves autism, cures asthma and early cancer, increases life on late cancer, etc...

Hear hear.
    Also... keto levels of carbs (20g) there are no glucose spikes (and inevitable troughs) so energy is stable. Also reduces insulin production and reverses T2D effects (hardened arteries and neuropathy etc). Also fat has roughly 9kcal per unit of energy compared with glucose's 4kcal so utilising the bodies stored fat for fuel is easy once glycogen stpres have been depleted. The brain loves ketones and you find a great mental clarity and natural high. Cannot recommend it highly enough. I have worked with diabetic patients for a long time. Reducing glucose intake is key! The NHS is finally advising T2D patients to follow a low carb way of eating. The science is the reasoning... not woo.

And all the calories in calories out brigade who will woo my post... youre not considering the hormonal implications (insulin is a hormone). Theres way more to it than that.

To the bolded: In what capacity?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited December 2018
    As I understand it, human babies are born in a state of ketosis and tend to remain that way for a few days until a mother's milk really comes in.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    rsclause wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm debating whether or not to do low carb, Vs keto for my health.

I'm not sure I can do keto, but I do like some of the recipes
    Just not enough veggies for me.

I can and have done lower carb...but I could never do keto. While I do eat meat, my diet is heavily plant based and things like beans, lentils, oats, potatoes and other tubers, veggies, and fruit are staples in my diet.

I can eat veggies daily but I must admit I do miss the potatoes, tubers and fruit. The bread not as much as I thought I would.

My biggest complaint about keto, which i did cycle with, was the lack of veggies and fruits. Both of which have been demonstrated to be extremely supportive for overall health markers.

There is also substantial more evidence in favor of more plant based diets over meat based.

Still there are many variables to consider, like if the OP has specific health concerns.

In favour for what reason?

There is no evidence that I know of that a plant based diet (which I interpret to be a diet with mostly foods and calories from plants such as vegetables, fruits, grains, refined grains, vegetable oils and sugars) is better for health than a meat based diet (where most foods and calories are coming from meat, eggs, seafood, dairy and their associated fats).

I may be wrong. I'll look at anything that says otherwise.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Kegwsm29 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Larkspur94 wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »
    What do you mean about "for your health"? Unless you have been recommended a diet like that for a specific reason by a doctor, there is nothing healthy about eating less carbs. Carbs have gotten a reputation as unhealthy because companies make billions of dollars a year selling low carb solutions to things, so they've needed to make carbs out to be the bad guy. But there's no evidence at all backing that up.

@MikePTY
    There's actually scientific study that proves carbs are bad for you. Unlike the 'fat is bad for you' hypothesis which has yet to proven, despite the billions of dollars spent on many many studies.
    Studies on the carbs have to be self funded as the government won't fund them (Make too much money on the carb food industry and medicine to help with illness caused by carbs, to let it be known). Look them up. The documentary 'The Magic Pill' has a section that briefs it down for you. You can watch on Netflix. Low carb/keto prevents heart disease, diabetes, obesity, alzheimer's, improves autism, cures asthma and early cancer, increases life on late cancer, etc...

Hear hear.
    Also... keto levels of carbs (20g) there are no glucose spikes (and inevitable troughs) so energy is stable. Also reduces insulin production and reverses T2D effects (hardened arteries and neuropathy etc). Also fat has roughly 9kcal per unit of energy compared with glucose's 4kcal so utilising the bodies stored fat for fuel is easy once glycogen stpres have been depleted. The brain loves ketones and you find a great mental clarity and natural high. Cannot recommend it highly enough. I have worked with diabetic patients for a long time. Reducing glucose intake is key! The NHS is finally advising T2D patients to follow a low carb way of eating. The science is the reasoning... not woo.

And all the calories in calories out brigade who will woo my post... youre not considering the hormonal implications (insulin is a hormone). Theres way more to it than that.

No, there are no studies showing that "carbs" (a hugely variable category) are bad for you.

I eat way more than 20 g carbs and don't get glucose spikes and have stable energy.

Insulin is not bad.

Everyone is able to use stored body fat for fuel.

No human cultures are ketogenic (the Inuit would be except they seem to have genetic adaptations to make them not ketogenic at levels others would be, which contradicts the idea that there's some benefit to being continually in ketosis).

I think keto is likely fine (if you maximize vegetables! and hard to do below 20 g carbs, IMO, although easy enough at a level in which most people are in ketosis). I also think other things, like activity, are much more important than this silly argument about macronutrients. But if you slam how others eat, I will call you on it.

Dont think youve read the post..you just reacted, and claimed theres an 'argument and ive 'slammed' people. No slamming, just stating calories in cals out is simplistic and not helpful for many people especially some females.

And actually there are many studies... you just dont know it. The Masai and indigenous American tribes were all fat based... its how we are born.

Amd yes, excess insulin is very bad, im sure youve read the countless studies. This is universally accepted.

What studies, specifically, do we not know about?