Not lean enough after cutting

I can't figure out if I should continue to lose weight, or start gaining. i thought I'd look more defined after losing nearly 15 lbs. I am now 6'1" and 176 lb. I was under the impression that after I lost some weight, muscle would show more but I don't really notice a big difference. I'm down to eating around 1,800 calories. What do you typically do in this situation?

Replies

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Do you know your body fat percentage?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Maybe you also lack muscle mass to reveal during/ after your cut??

That was my thought as well.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Maybe keep cutting a bit then run another bulk when you are lean enough. Sounds like it is a combination of lack of muscle base (for your liking) and higher bodyfat. Posting a photo might help
  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    Try It at 60...lol
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    MDC2957 wrote: »
    I guess it's just frustrating never seeing change/results despite effort in the gym, and counting calories. Maybe too old at 38?

you are never too old to see change and results. Im going to be 45 in august and over the last 5 years Ive seen change and results. all my workouts are done at home too. Im female as well
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    We are our own worst critics. You may look better than you think you do. Maybe you prefer a leaner look in which case you would need to cut more or bulk and then cut again. A picture would help.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Here we go, got them attached through the website on my phone. 180 lb after eating dinner. Should be 176 again in the morning.
    I've been lifting for years. I do have muscle.. maybe 15% according to the calipers

Like I said initially....you lack a solid muscle composition to show after your cut and you’re not lean enough to reveal the muscle you do have based off the photos you posted. Not trying to be mean, just honesty and helping you get to your goals
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    edited December 2018
    A proven Progressive overload program and a lean bulk needs to be your next step. Same age as you btw
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    It’s hard to tell proportions in those pics. Odd angles - but your arms seem a bit more advanced compared to your back and chest. Are you doing the basic compounds? Rows, pull-ups (or lat pulldowns), bench and OHP? Traps seem lagging a bit too. I’ve seen this in guys who spend too much time with arm isolation work. Anyhow - you may be near a good spot to start thinking about a bulk. I’d make sure you have a good program in place first though. I wouldn’t worry about your age either. I’m 48 and restarted in a much worse spot and at a later age. I’m the same height as you too.