Struggling to gain weight

Options
Since starting on myfitnespal 2 weeks ago I have for the first time been monitoring my calories and I have consumed calories that are out of my comfort zone. I’m 17, 6’1 and 155lbs. My daily goal set on this app is 3,600 calories per day, in order to reach my goal of 165 lbs, however I have not only reached this calorie target but I’ve been eating around 4-5,000 calories per day instead. However after just weighing myself I have somehow lost 1lb. Could there be any reasons for this as it has really knocked my confidence and motivation, cheers

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Yeah the reason is you’re a growing male who needs to eat more than you are. Are you sure you’re accurately weighing/ tracking your intake? What’s your energy expenditure like? There’s nothing wrong...unless you have a medical condition weight gain: eat more than you expend....weight loss: eat less than you expend. If you’re not gaining, you’re simply not eating enough
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Since starting on myfitnespal 2 weeks ago I have for the first time been monitoring my calories and I have consumed calories that are out of my comfort zone. I’m 17, 6’1 and 155lbs. My daily goal set on this app is 3,600 calories per day, in order to reach my goal of 165 lbs, however I have not only reached this calorie target but I’ve been eating around 4-5,000 calories per day instead. However after just weighing myself I have somehow lost 1lb. Could there be any reasons for this as it has really knocked my confidence and motivation, cheers

It takes time to change and weight fluctuates. Be patient and stick to your plan for a few more weeks.

You could be overestimating the amount of calories you are consuming. Check the accuracy of your logging.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

Log what you would normally eat and add about 500-1,000 more calories to your day each week until you start gaining. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1

You could be underestimating your activity level. Change your setting to something more active and/or log exercise better.

You could have a medical problem if not any of the above. Consult your doctor.