The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• ElC_76
    ElC_76 Posts: 3,054 Member
    edited December 2018
    Well, next lot of bithdays thats coming up is this Saturday and then 3 consecutive days from 25 -27 , then the 6th, 22 and 26 of Jan. One of them being mine. And of course the new year , and christmas day being a 'double banger' amongst it, I think I'll be ok. I have had this experience of the last one to hopfully be able to reflect and prepare myself. I want to be able to say I've done it for the first time. It would be probably since I was young if I do, do it. :);) .. so ive set this MASSIVE chellenge for myself. *flex* ;)
    ( I just have to picture myself 'blowing up like a balloon', while sitting on the couch / seat drinking .. that's REALLY really a scary thing for me. I don't like that part AT ALL!! That'll be enough :s ) :D
  • ElC_76
    mjolnir81 wrote: »
    It's great having a read through this thread. I often think about giving up alcohol, I don't drink it too often but generally do it as the "norm" when we eat out or if we are at friends or something.

At the start of this year I was diagnosed with Sjogren's syndrome and have realised that I no longer know how alcohol will affect me. I have had 4-5 drinks in one night and felt fine the next day, however I have also had 2 drinks and felt like I had the worst hangover the next day. I'm seriously thinking it's just not worth it. I've always said to my husband that if I only have 250 calories left for the day I would much rather have a bar of chocolate over a glass of wine. We'd probably save a lot of money too as when we go see family in Manchester if we have a drink we have to stay over in a hotel or if we go out for a meal and have a drink we have to get taxi's. If I drove on those occasions we would easily save a few hundred pounds a year. I'm thinking of just biting the bullet and going totally alcohol free.

Hey, that sound a great decision. Even if u just give it a go. We always have fails but we just start over. :)
    I'm sorry to hear ur not well but even if u lessen it to start off then bit by bit , day by day take it as far as u like. It is by far better without. But there isn't any hard and fast rules.
    Some can take it but not all.
    Welcome to our chats, I'll be interested in knowing how you go.. :)<3
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Hoping everyone has a great week <3
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Drummer913 wrote: »
    @RubyRed427...Funny you should mention Madness! It is my favorite song they do, and they played it at the concert, so it was great then too! He actually wrote it about his relationship with his then wife Kate Hudson. That song strikes a chord with me (no pun intended) in many ways. Anyhow, music is sometimes great therapy. I often am listening to music while I run. I just kind of wonder between my conscious and subconscious, if that makes any sense at all! :p

I love Muse, going to see them in Toronto in March. I saw them at a music festival a few years ago-awesome. My favorite song they do is Hysteria-I just close my eyes and listen to those guitar solos....
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,155 Member
    @NormInv Is it Day 10 yet? Xo
  • RubyRed427
    edited December 2018
    JenT304 wrote: »
    So I am glad I brought the Perrier to the party tonight as there were NO non alcohol options! Nothing! Not even a jug of water out. Well we all reminisced and caught up (college friends) and when it came time to open the ornaments, the one I chose turned out to be a miniature wine glass. :o Oh well. I said, "Oh thank you, it's so cute!" but this will never be going on my tree.

That is ironic to get that ornament!!! Good work bringing the Perrier. Better than drinking plain water , for sure.

Tonight, I was out with some teachers. A fellow teacher said her son is turning 21 soon and she’s going to make him a “shot ski” to celebrate. I love this lady but I felt kind of sad that she would want to encourage drinking like that.
  • RubyRed427
    NormInv wrote: »
    RubyRed427 wrote: »

yes ma'am, day 10 today....all is well, thank you for checking in

Awesome!!!
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    NormInv wrote: »

yes ma'am, day 10 today....all is well, thank you for checking in

Nice!
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    @NormInv Happy 10th :)
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Drummer913 wrote: »
    It’s Wednesday….Recycling day in my town. We alternate paper goods one week, and metal / plastic/ glass the next week. So today is metal /plastic / glass. Anyhow, this past weekend I bought a new recycling container. A MUCH smaller one. I used to fill TWO large plastic garbage cans full with beer bottles and cans every 2 weeks. I drove away this morning on my way to the gym with a sheepish little grin on my face as I watched my new little recycling container out at the curb disappear in the rear view mirror. Another minor perk of being AF. :)

thats a great story
  • ElC_76
    edited December 2018

@JenT304 and @Drummer913
    Yes, I think it is Very embarrassing. I'm the one that mostly empties the inside bins. Then when the truck comes, its usually early in the morning. Hearing it stop at everyone's houses then ours, .. aww, the clatter it makes.. I'm sure it's the noisiest in the street.
    I'm still embarrassed even tho I don't contribute to it now.
    A question id luv to know, does being an alcoholic or a person that drinks a lot contribute to being a little deaf? Or hard of hearing? I seem to be the only one that hears little sounds or sounds like that..
  • ElC_76
    edited December 2018
    @JenT304 @Drummer913 @ElC_76 Yes, I was in that same situation. Lots of wine bottles in recycling and a few other liquor bottles. I would go through my liquor cabinet sometimes and finish up the bottles that were less filled. And then say to myself I am NOT buying any more liquor. Lately, I quietly monitor what my husband recycles. One huge bottle of Johnny Walker every other week. I don’t always see it in recycling which leads me to think, he’s hiding it in the garbage sometimes.

It’s the holiday season and although I have a little more craving to drink, I am doing fine. Since my FLA weekend of a few wines, I am happy to say that I have not had anymore... one day at a time.

I can feeling myself doing the same thing. But what comes to mind straight away that the monitoring I do is not accurate bc they keep some in their car. I know it's illegal and feel sensitive saying this but. . I know it's being consumed anytime ...
    Its frightening and have had seemed help on the quite. But it doesn't stop.
    I have to do most of the driving or co piloting for the drivers not yet with full liecenes on the weekends. This is when we are going out together .
    It is a hugh worry during the day when the intoxicated driver is driving..
  • RubyRed427
    Woke up this morning feeling a little nauseous. Was startled at first and then remembered that it’s not from drinking. I still have those flashbacks to mornings with a hangover. I hated those mornings and that feeling.

Wishing you a wonderful day filled with laughter and peace. Xp